This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drive Horizon: An Artificial Intelligent Approach to Predict Vehicle Speed for Realizing Predictive Powertrain Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Demand for predictive powertrain control is rapidly increasing with the recent advancement of Advanced Driving Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Autonomous Driving (AD). The full or semi-autonomous functions could be leveraged to realize better user acceptance as well as powertrain efficiency of the connected vehicle utilizing the proposed Drive Horizon. The sensors of automated driving provide perception of surrounding driving environment which is required to safely navigate the vehicle in real-world driving scenarios. The proposed Drive Horizon provides real-time forecast of driving environment that a vehicle will encounter during its entire travel. This paper summarizes the vehicle’s future speed prediction technique which is an integral part of Drive Horizon for optimized energy control of the vehicle. The prediction model has been developed that integrates information from multiple sources including vehicle GPS, traffic information and map data. Recurrent Neural Networks and Bayesian approaches including generative models have been studied for predicting the vehicle speed. In addition, utilization of connected data (live traffic and map) to enable long prediction horizons has also been considered in this study compared to the conventional using of in-vehicle sensors such as camera or radar. The developed speed prediction technique can be effectively integrated with vehicle’s energy management to improve its energy efficiency. The effectiveness of the proposed speed prediction technique has been verified by testing the prediction accuracy on different routes for the prediction range of 1 kilometer.
- Yashodeep Lonari - Hitachi America, Ltd.
- Subrata Kundu - Hitachi America, Ltd.
- Mitesh Agrawal - Hitachi America, Ltd.
- Sunny Bellary - Hitachi America, Ltd.
- Yashodeep Lonari - Hitachi America Ltd
- Subrata Kundu - Hitachi America Ltd
- Mitesh Agrawal - Hitachi America Ltd
- Sunny Bellary - Hitachi America Ltd
CitationLonari, Y., Kundu, S., Agrawal, M., and Bellary, S., "Drive Horizon: An Artificial Intelligent Approach to Predict Vehicle Speed for Realizing Predictive Powertrain Control," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0732, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0732.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Dadras , S. Path Tracking Using Fractional Order Extremum Seeking Controller for Autonomous Ground Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0094 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0094
- Dadras , S. , Dadras , S. , and Winstead , C. Resilient Control Design for Vehicular Platooning in an Adversarial Environment 2019 American Control Conference (ACC) Philadelphia, PA 2019 533 538
- Valera , J.J. , Heriz , B. , Lux , G. , Caus , J. et al. Driving Cycle and Road Grade On-Board Predictions for the Optimal Energy Management in EV-PHEVs EVS27 Barcelona, Spain 2013
- Xiaolei , M. , Zhuang , D. , Zhengbing , H. , Jihui , M. et al. Learning Traffic as Images: A Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Large-Scale Transportation Network Speed Prediction Sensors 2017
- Liu , K. , Asher , Z. , Gong , X. , and Huang , M. Vehicle Velocity Prediction and Energy Management Strategy Part 1: Deterministic and Stochastic Vehicle Velocity Prediction Using Machine Learning SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1051 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1051
- Altché , F. and de La Fortelle , A. An LSTM Network for Highway Trajectory Prediction 2017 IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) Yokohama 2017 353 359
- Gal , Y. and Ghahramani , Z. A Theoretically Grounded Application of Dropout in Recurrent Neural Networks Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 2016 1019 1027
- Zhu , L. and Laptev , N. Deep and Confident Prediction for Time Series at Uber 2017 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (ICDMW) New Orleans, LA 2017 103 110
- Amini , A. , Wilko , S. , Guy , R. , Brandon , A. et al. Variational Autoencoder for End-to-End Control of Autonomous Driving with Novelty Detection and Training De-Biasing IEEE/IROS 2018
- Shieh , S. , Ersal , T. , and Peng , H. Pulse-and-Glide Operation for Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Step-Gear Transmission in Automated Car-Following Scenario with Ride Comfort Consideration American Control Conference (ACC) 2019
- Gaikwad , T. , Asher , Z. , Liu , K. , and Huang , M. Vehicle Velocity Prediction and Energy Management Strategy Part 2: Integration of Machine Learning Vehicle Velocity Prediction with Optimal Energy Management to Improve Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1212 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1212
- Hochreiter , S. , Schmidhuber , J. Long short-term memory Neural computation 1735 1780 1997
- Sutskever , I. , Vinyals , O. , and Le , Q.V. Sequence to Sequence Learning with Neural Networks Advances in neural information processing systems 2014 3104 3112
- Michael , W.D. , Dustin , T. , Edward , C. , Jonas , K. et al. Analyzing the Role of Model Uncertainty for Electronic Health Records ICML Workshop on Uncertainty & Robustness in Deep Learning 2019
- Deo , N. and Trivedi , M. Convolutional Social Pooling for Vehicle Trajectory Prediction The IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops 2018 1468 1476
- Böhme , T.J. and Frank , B. Predictive Real-Time Energy Management Frank , B. and Böhme , T.J. Hybrid Systems, Optimal Control and Hybrid Vehicles Springer 2017 429 480
- Kingma , D. and Welling , M. Auto-Encoding Variational Bayes The 2nd International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR) 2013
- Yao , R. , Liu , C. , Zhang , L. , and Peng , P. Unsupervised Anomaly Detection Using Variational Auto-Encoder Based Feature Extraction 2019 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (ICPHM) San Francisco, CA 2019 1 7