This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Development and Evaluation of Optimal Fingerprint Authentication Algorithm in Vehicle Use Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hyundai Motor Company mass-produced the world's first fingerprint entry and start system. This paper is a study on the evaluation method to develop and verify the optimal fingerprint authentication algorithm for vehicle usage conditions.
Currently, fingerprint sensors and algorithms in the IT industry have been developed for the electronic devices, and are not suitable for the harsh environment of the vehicle and the vehicle life cycle for more than 10 years. In order to optimize the fingerprint sensor and algorithm for the vehicle, this study consisted of 3way test methods. As a result, the fingerprint system could be optimized for the vehicle and the recognition rate and security could be optimized according to the sensor authentication level.
Through this study, the door handle recognition rate was improved by 25% and the start button recognition rate by 10%, and the fingerprint entry and start system was mass-produced with security level that satisfies the immobilizer regulations.
CitationJin, D., Son, J., and Jeon, S., "A Development and Evaluation of Optimal Fingerprint Authentication Algorithm in Vehicle Use Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0723, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0723.
- Eom, K.-Y., Park, H.-J., Hong, D.-H., and Kim, M.-H., “Study for Performance of Fingerprint Recognition,” The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers173-174, 2007.
- Eom, W.-S. and Jeon, I.-O., “Development for Reliability Quality and Performance Evaluate Model of Fingerprint Recognition System,” The Korea Contents Society 11(2):79-87, 2011.
- Stefani, E. and Ferrari, C., “Design and Implementation of a Multi-Modal Biometric System for Company Access Control,” in 2nd International Conference on Data Compression, Communication, Processing and Security (CCPS 2016).
- Fan, F., Hou, L., Jingyan, F., Song, C., Feng, R., Wang, J., “The Design of High-Efficiency and Synergetic Attendance System,” in 5th International Conference on Information Engineering for Mechanics and Materials (ICIMM 2015).
- Govender, N. and Coetzee, L., “Automated Vehicle Identification through Metallurgical Fingerprints,” Information Society Technologies Programme, icomtek.
- Yuan, Y. and Min, P., “Embedded Wireless Fingerprint Exam Affair Management,” IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues 10(1), January 2013.
- Kim, T.-s., Oh, R., Lee, S.-J., Lee, S.-j. et al., “A Study on the Fingerprint-Based User Authentication Protocol Considering Both the Mobility and Security in the Telematics Environment,” Korea Institute of Communication Sciences 32(11):1128-1137, 2007.
- Suk, C.H.U.N.G.M., Man, L.E.E.J., Joon, S.O.H.N.H., Doo-Jin, P.A.I.K., and Seong-Sik, P.A.R.K., “Morphology of Fingerprints in Koreans,” Korean Association of Physical Anthropologists 10(2):251-264, 1997.