This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Secure Vehicular Communication Using Blockchain Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The cars we drive are rapidly transforming. Connected vehicles in the context of the Advanced Driver Assistance System or Autonomous Vehicles are about to change the way we drive cars. Connected Vehicles are futuristic vehicles that can interact with other vehicles for passing on information such as, mapping and localization, information about road traffic and driving behaviour. However, such vehicles, particularly the autonomous ones, are prone to a variety of attacks including cyber-attacks. These malicious attacks can intrude a vehicle that not only endangers the vehicles safety, but also the life of passengers and the nearby environment. Thus, identifying and eliminating these attacks for providing a secure communication environment is of great need. Also, all the existing methods for vehicular communication rely on a centralized server which itself invite massive cyber-security threats. These threats and challenges can be addressed by using the Blockchain (BC) technology, where each transaction is logged in a decentralized immutable BC ledger. In this work, we show how BC can facilitate communication between connected vehicles to send and receive information while assuring the security of all the vehicles participating in the BC network. First, we developed an application for the blockchain based less-complex Proof-of-Work consensus method that allows the vehicles to transfer information in a secured manner. Second, we demonstrate the working of the application using raspberry pi board that act as vehicles mounted with sensors and two computers that act as blockchain network. Finally, we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of blockchain based vehicular communication and the integration of the blockchain with VANET as well.
CitationM, V., Koduri, R., Nandyala, S., and Manalikandy, M., "Secure Vehicular Communication Using Blockchain Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0722, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0722.
- Khodaei , M. and Papadimitratos , P. The Key to Intelligent Transportation: Identity and Credential Management in Vehicular Communication Systems IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine 10 63 69 2015
- Zaidi , K. and Rajarajan , M. Vehicular Internet: Security & Privacy Challenges and Opportunities Future Internet 7 257 275 2015 10.3390/fi7030257
- Parkinson , S. , Ward , P. , Wilson , K. , and Mille , J. Cyber Threats Facing Autonomous and Connected Vehicles: Future Challenges IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society 11 18 2898 2915 2017
- Nakamoto , S. http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf 2008
- Dorri , A. , Kanhere , S.S. , Jurdak , R. , and Gauravaram , P. Blockchain for IoT Security and Privacy: The Case Study of a Smart Home IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops 2017
- Rowan , S. , Michael , C. , Gerla , M. , Meriel , H. et al.
- Kaur , R. , Pal Singh , T. , and Khajuria , V. Security Issues in Vehicular Ad-hoc Network (VANET) Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Trends in Electronics and Informatics (ICOEI) 2018
- Bloom , C. , Tan , J. , Ramjohn , J. , and Bauer , L. Self-Driving Cars and Data Collection: Privacy Perceptions of Networked Autonomous Vehicles 13th Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS 2017) USENIX Association 2017 357 375
- Papadimitratos , P. , Buttyan , L. , Holczer , T. , Schoch , E. , and Kung , A. Secure Vehicular Communication Systems: Design and Architecture IEEE Communications Magazine 46 11 100 109 Nov. 2008
- Dorri , A. , Steger , M. , Kanhere , S.S. , and Jurdak , R. Blockchain: A Distributed Solution to Automotive Security and Privacy IEEE Communications Magazine 55 12 119 125 Dec. 2017
- Lunardi , R.C. , Michelin , R.A. , Neu , C.V. , and Zorzo , A.F. Distributed Access Control on Iot Ledger-Based Architecture 16th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS 2018) Taipei, Taiwan April 2018 1 8
- Tan , D. , Dongmin , C. , Kim , P. , and Chung , I. Secure Certificateless Authentication and Road Message Dissemination Protocol in VANETs Wireless Communicationsand Mobile Computing 2018 10.1155/2018/7978027
- I. Foundation Mar. 2018 https://iota.org/
- Rouhani , S. and Deters , R. Performance Analysis of Ethereum Transactions in Private Blockchain 8th IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering and Service Science (ICSESS) 5 7074 2017
- Puthal , D. , Malik , N. , Mohanty , S.P. , Kougianos , E. , and Yang , C. The Blockchain as a Decentralized Security Framework [Future Directions] IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine 7 2 18 21 March 2018
- Li , L. , Liu , J. , Cheng , L. , Qiu , S. et al. Creditcoin: A Privacy-Preserving Blockchain-Based Incentive Announcement Network for Communications of smart vehicles IEEE Transactionson Intelligent Transportation Systems 99 1 17 2018
- Tschorsch , F. and Scheuermann , B. Bitcoin and beyond: A Technical Survey on Decentralized Digital Currencies IEEE Communications Surveys Tutorials 18 3 2084 2123 2016
- Francisco , J. , Chai-KeongToh , M. , Cano , J.-C. , Calafate , C.T. , and Manzoni , P. Emergency Services in Future Intelligent Transportation Systems Based on Vehicular Communication Networks IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine 2010
- Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) June 2009
- Shrestha , R. , Bajracharya , R. , Shrestha , A.P. , and Nam , S.Y. A New Type of Blockchain for Secure Message Exchange in VANET Digital Communications and Networks.
- Yuan , Y. and Wang , F.Y. Towards Blockchain-based Intelligent Transportation Systems 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) Windsor Oceanico Hotel, Rio de Janerio, Brazil Nov. 1-4, 2016
- Raya , M. and Hubaux , J.-P. The Security of Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks Proc. 3rd ACM Workshop on Security of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks 2005 11 21
- Lin , Y.W. , Chen , Y.-S. , and Lee , S.-L. Routing Protocols in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks: A Survey and Future Perspectives Journal of Information Science and Engineering 26 913 932 2010
- Hubaux , J.P. , Capkun , S. , and Luo , J. The Security and Privacy of Smart Vehicles IEEE Security Privacy 2 3 49 55 May 2004
- Sharma , P.K. , Moon , S.Y. , and Park , J.H. Block-vn: A Distributed Blockchain Based Vehicular Network Architecture in Smart City Journal of Information Processing Systems 13 1 184 195 2017
- Leiding , B. , Memarmoshrefi , P. , and Hogrefe , D. Self-Managed and Blockchain-Based Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing: Adjunct (UbiComp '16) ACM, New York, NY, USA 2016 137 140