This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Effective Backlight Angle Influence on Vehicle Aerodynamics and Contamination
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the effect of rear effective backlight angle on vehicle contamination using contamination simulation results of a commercial vehicle. Highly-resolved time accurate computational fluid dynamics simulations were performed using a commercial Lattice-Boltzmann solver, to compare the rear end contamination with five different rear effective backlight angles. Additional aerodynamics simulations presented good correlation with published experimental data. The contamination results were compared with the aerodynamics simulation results in order to find trends between the two simulation types for different effective backlight angles.
CitationOliveira, D. and Goncalves dos Santos, R., "Study of the Effective Backlight Angle Influence on Vehicle Aerodynamics and Contamination," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0691, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0691.
- Hagemeier, T., Hartmann, M., and Thevenin, D. , “Practice of Vehicle Soiling Investigations: A Review,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 37:860-875, 2011. www.elsevier.com/locate/ijmulflow.
- Gaylard, A., Kirwan, K., and Lockerby, D. , “Surface Contamination of Cars: A Review,” SAGE Journals, Apr. 2017, doi:10.1177/0954407017695141.
- Kuthada, T. and Cyr, S. , “Approaches to Vehicle Soiling,” in: 4th FKFS Conference on Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management: Numerical Methods (eds Wiedermann, J.,Hucho, W.H.), Stuttgart, Germany, 2006, 111-123 (Renningen: Expert-Verlag).
- Goetz, H. , “The Influence of Wind Tunnel Tests on Body Design, Ventilation, and Surface Deposits of Sedans and Sport Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 710212, 1971, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/710212.
- Sims-Williams, D., Marwood, D., and Sprot, A. , “Links between Notchback Geometry, Aerodynamic Drag, Flow Asymmetry and Unsteady Wake Structure,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):156-165, 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0166.
- Hucho, W.H., Janssen, L.J., and Emmelmann, H.J. , “The Optimization of Body Details - A Method for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 760185, 1976, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/760185.
- Kabanovs, A., Hodgson, G., Garmory, A., Passmore, M. et al. , “A Parametric Study of Automotive Rear End Geometries on Rear Soiling,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(2):553-562, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1511.
- Jilesen, J., Alajbegovic, A., and Duncan, B. , “Soiling and Rain Simulation for Ground Transportation Vehicles,” in 7th European-Japanese Two-Phase Flow Group Meeting, Zermatt, Switzerland, 2015.
- Jilesen, J., Gaylard, A., Duncan, B., Konstantinov, A. et al. , “Simulation of Rear and Body Side Vehicle Soiling by Road Sprays Using Transient Particle Tracking,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(1):424-435, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1256.
- Linfield, K.W. and Mudry, R.G. , “Pros and Cons of CFD and Physical Flow Modeling,” Airflow Science Corporation, 2008, http://www.airflowsciences.com/.
- Mondo, C., Sommerfeld, M., and Tropea, C. , “Droplet-Wall Collisions: Experimental Studies of the Deformation and Breakup Process,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21:151-173, 1995.
- O’Rourke, P.J. and Amsden, A.A. , “A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for KIVA-3 Wall Film Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0271, 2000, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0271.
- O’Rourke, P.J. and Amsden, A.A. , “The TAB Method for Numerical Calculations of Spray Droplet Breakup,” in International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition, Toronto, 1987.
- Gaylard, A., Pitman, J., Jilesen, J., Gagliardi, A. et al. , “Insights into Rear Surface Contamination Using Simulation of Road Spray and Aerodynamics,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(2):673-681, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0610.
- Ahmed, S., Ramm, G., and Faltin, G. , “Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake,” SAE Technical Paper 840300, 1984, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/840300.
- Jilesen, J., Gaylard, A., and Escobar, J. , “Numerical Investigation of Features Affecting Rear and Side Body Soiling,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(1):299-308, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1543.
- Gaylard, A.P. , “rear_soiling_mechanism.emf,” Nov. 30, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.4270085.v1, accessed Dec. 2019.