This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Optimization of Rear Suspension Trailing Arm for Durability Using Taguchi Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle suspension parts are subjected to variable road loads, manufacturing process variation and high installation loads in assembly process. These parts must be robust to usage conditions to function properly in the field.
Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) tools and Taguchi Method were used to optimize initial rear suspension trailing arm design. Project identified key control factor/design parameters, to improve part robustness at the lowest cost. Optimized design performs well under higher road loads and meets stringent durability requirements.
This paper evokes use of Taguchi Method to design robust rear suspension trailing arm and study effect of selected design parameters on robustness, stress level/durability and part cost.
CitationKathoke, S., Michalowski, K., Subramani, V., Korba, A. et al., "Robust Optimization of Rear Suspension Trailing Arm for Durability Using Taguchi Method," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0602, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0602.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Thakur , A. and Aregawi , G.-E. Static and Fatigue Failure Analysis of Rear Trailing Arm International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology 2019
- Grujicic , M. , Arakere , G. , Bell , W.C. , Marvi , H. et al. Reliability-Based Design Optimization for Durability of Ground Vehicle Suspension System Components Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance April 2009
- Koch , P.N. , Yang , R.-J. , and Gu , L. Design for Six Sigma Through Robust Optimization Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 2004
- Yang , K. and El-Haik , B. Design for Six Sigma McGraw Hill 2003
- Taguchi , G. , Chowdhury , S. , and Wu , Y. Taguchi’s Quality Engineering Handbook McGraw Hill 2004
- Sleeper , A. 2005