This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooperative Estimation of Road Grade Based on Multidata Fusion for Vehicle Platoon with Optimal Energy Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The platooning of connected automated vehicles (CAV) possesses the significant potential of reducing energy consumption in the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS). Moreover, with the rapid development of eco-driving technology, vehicle platooning can further enhance the fuel efficiency by optimizing the efficiency of the powertrain. Since road grade is a main factor that affects the energy consumption of a vehicle, the estimation of the road grade with high accuracy is the key factor for a connected vehicle platoon to optimize energy consumption using vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication. Commonly, the road grade is quantified by single consumer grade global positioning system (GPS) with the geodetic height data which is rough and in the meter-level, increasing the difficulty of precisely estimating the road grade. This paper presents a novel estimation method called Cooperative Extended Kalman Filter (CEKF) to obtain the accurate information of slopes by multidata fusion of GPS and on-aboard sensors using vehicle platoon communication, i.e. the following vehicle fuses the data which was measured by the on-board sensors and delivered by the preceding vehicle. Considering the accurate road grade information, the fuel consumption optimization of the vehicle platoon was conducted based on distributed model predictive control (DMPC) with favorable car following performance. According to simulation results, it was found that the accuracy of road grade was improved to a great extent compared with data fusion in a single vehicle. Relying on the more precise road grade information, the powertrain optimization could be carried out more effectively, resulting in improved energy economy of the connected vehicle platoon. Hence, the high accuracy cooperative estimation of road grade for vehicle platoon is the foundation of intelligent eco-driving technology and makes a great significance in ITS applications.
CitationMa, F., Yang, Y., Wang, J., Zhao, Y. et al., "Cooperative Estimation of Road Grade Based on Multidata Fusion for Vehicle Platoon with Optimal Energy Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0586, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0586.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Hu, X., Wang, H., and Tang, X. , “Cyber-Physical Control for Energy-Saving Vehicle Following with Connectivity,” IEEE Trans. Indus. Electro. 64(11):8578-8587, 2017, doi:10.1109/tie.2017.2703673.
- Guo, L., Gao, B., Gao, Y., and Chen, H. , “Optimal Energy Management for HEVs in Eco-Driving Applications Using Bi-Level MPC,” IEEE Trans. Intel. Transpor. Syst. 18(8):2153-2162, 2017, doi:10.1109/tits.2016.2634019.
- Li, S., Li, R., Wang, J., Hu, X. et al. , “Stabilizing Periodic Control of Automated Vehicle Platoon with Minimized Fuel Consumption,” IEEE Trans Transpor. Elec. 3(1):259-271, 2017, doi:10.1109/tte.2016.2628823.
- Yang, Y., Xi, Y., Li, J., Wei, G. et al. , “Flexible Supercapacitors Based on Polyaniline Arrays Coated Graphene Aerogel Electrodes,” Nanoscale Res Lett 12(1):394, 2017, doi:10.1186/s11671-017-2159-9.
- Antonio, S., Nunzio, G., and Ojeda, L. , “Optimal Ecodriving Control: Energy-Efficient Driving of Road Vehicles as an Optimal Control Problem,” IEEE Control Systems 35(5):71-90, 2015, doi:10.1109/mcs.2015.2449688.
- Yu, K., Yang, H., Tan, X., Kawabe, T. et al. , “Model Predictive Control for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Platooning Using Slope Information,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Syst. 17(7):1894-1909, 2016, doi:10.1109/tits.2015.2513766.
- Danielle, F. and Ozguner, U. , “Dynamic Eco-Driving’s Fuel Saving Potential in Traffic: Multi-Vehicle Simulation Study Comparing Three Representative Methods,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Syst. 19(9):2871-2879, 2018, doi:10.1109/TITS.2017.2766767.
- Xie, S., Hu, X., Liu, T., Qi, S. et al. , “Predictive Vehicle-Following Power Management for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Energy 166:701-714, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2018.10.129.
- Ge, G. and Wang, Q. , “Fuel-Efficient En Route Speed Planning and Tracking Control of Truck Platoons,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Sys. 20(8):3091-3103, 2018, doi:10.1109/TITS.2018.2872607.
- Xu, S., Li, S., Cheng, B., and Li, K. , “Instantaneous Feedback Control for a Fuel-Prioritized Vehicle Cruising System on Highways with a Varying Slope,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Sys. 18(5):1210-1220, 2017, doi:10.1109/tits.2016.2600641.
- Zhang, S., Luo, Y., Wang, J., Wang, X., and Li, K. , “Predictive Energy Management Strategy for Fully Electric Vehicles Based on Preceding Vehicle Movement,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Sys. 18(11):3049-3060, 2017, doi:10.1109/tits.2017.2672542.
- Zhai, C., Luo, F., Liu, Y., and Chen, Z. , “Ecological Cooperative Look-Ahead Control for Automated Vehicles Travelling on Freeways with Varying Slopes,” IEEE Trans Veh Technol 68(2):1208-1221, 2019, doi:10.1109/tvt.2018.2886221.
- Xu, L., Zhuang, W., Yin, G., and Bian, C. , “Energy-Oriented Cruising Strategy Design of Vehicle Platoon Considering Communication Delay and Disturbance,” Transp. Res. Part C Emerg. Tech. 107:34-53, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.trc.2019.07.019.
- Jo, K., Kim, C., and Sunwoo, M. , “Simultaneous Localization and Map Change Update for the High Definition Map-Based Autonomous Driving Car,” Sensors (Basel) 18(9), 2018, doi:10.3390/s18093145.
- MurArtal, R. and Juan, D. , “Visual-Inertial Monocular SLAM with Map Reuse,” IEEE Rob. Auto. Lett. 2(2):796-803, 2017, doi:10.1109/lra.2017.2653359.
- Sahlholm, P. and Karl, H. , “Road Grade Estimation for Look-Ahead Vehicle Control Using Multiple Measurement Runs,” Control Engineering Practice 18(11):1328-1341, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.conengprac.2009.09.007.
- Jauch, J., Johannes, M., Tim, S., and Frank, G. , “Road Grade Estimation with Vehicle-Based Inertial Measurement Unit and Orientation Filter,” IEEE Sen. J. 18(2):781-789, 2018, doi:10.1109/jsen.2017.2772305.
- Zhang, Y., Zhang, Y., Ai, Z., Feng, Y. et al. , “A Cross Iteration Estimator with Base Vector for Estimation of Electric Mining Haul Truck’s Mass and Road Grade,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics 14(9):4138-4148, 2018, doi:10.1109/tii.2018.2794513.
- Jo, K., Kim, J., and Sunwoo, M. , “Real-Time Road-Slope Estimation Based on Integration of Onboard Sensors with GPS Using an IMMPDA Filter,” IEEE Trans Intell. Transpor. Sys. 14(4):1718-1732, 2013, doi:10.1109/tits.2013.2266438.
- Sun, Y., Li, L., Yan, B., Yang, C. et al. , “A Hybrid Algorithm Combining EKF and RLS in Synchronous Estimation of Road Grade and Vehicle’ Mass for a Hybrid Electric Bus,” Mech. Sys. Sign. Process. 68-69:416-430, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.08.015.
- Ma, F., Yang, Y., Wang, J., Liu, Z. et al. , “Predictive Energy-Saving Optimization Based on Nonlinear Model Predictive Control for Cooperative Connected Vehicles Platoon with V2V Communication,” Energy 189, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2019.116120.
- Ge, L., Ma, F., Shi, J., Yin, H. et al. , “Numerical Implementation of High-Order Vold-Kalman Filter Using Python Arbitrary-Precision Arithmetic Library,” Auto. Inno. 2:178-189, 2019, doi:10.1007/s42154-019-00065-1.