This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Formula SAE Data Acquisition and Detailed Analysis of a Lap
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Formula SAE (FSAE) is a student design competition organized by SAE International. The competition requires student teams to design and manufacture a formula style race car, to compete against other teams. Testing and validation of the vehicle is an integral part of the design and performance during the competition. Drivers for the collegiate competition are typically at an amateur level. As a result, the human factor plays a significant role in the outcome of dynamic events. In order to reduce uncertainty and improve the general performance, emphasis on driver training is necessary. Instead of overall performance of the driver based on an individual lap, the current research focuses on detailed components of the driver’s actions throughout different sections of the lap. In order to evaluate the performance of each driver in each of these sections, an AiM data acquisition system was mounted on the EMS17R and EMS18R vehicles along with a multitude of sensors, allowing for everything the driver touches to be recorded as well as dynamic forces seen by the vehicles. The data collected revealed the strengths and weaknesses of individual drivers in comparison to others and the track limits. Providing indications of driver performance vs the capability and design of the race car itself. This paper outlines a process that FSAE teams can use to collect and analyze data to be used for improving driver performance and engineering design.
CitationAshford, C. and Mitra, A., "Formula SAE Data Acquisition and Detailed Analysis of a Lap," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0544, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0544.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Roberto , B.S. and Daniel , V. Analytical Models Correlation for Vehicle Dynamic Handling Properties Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 33 4 Oct/Dec. 2011
- Christopher , B. Making Sense of Squiggly Lines: The Basic Analysis of Race Car Data Acquisition California, USA Christopher Brown Racing 2011 9780983259305
- Simon , M. Competition Car Data Logging a Practical Handbook Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset, UK Haynes Publishing 2008 9781844255658
- Bijal , P. https://www.engineersgarage.com/article/what-is-controller-area-network November 6, 2018
- Performance Electronics
- SAE 2018
- Jörge , S. Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition First Warrendale, PA SAE International 2008 9780768016550
- Arun , S.K. 2012
- Xie , Z https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/26330887 January 2, 2020