This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applying Advanced High Strength Steels on Automotive Exterior Panels for Lightweighting and Dent Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The lightweighting potential brought by advanced high strength steels (AHSS) was studied on automotive exterior panels. The dent resistance was selected as a measure to quantify the lightweighting since it is the most crucial for exterior panels. NEXMET® 440EX and 490EX, which possess both the surface quality and high strength, are evaluated and compared with BH210 and BH240. The denting analysis was conducted first on representative plates with different curvatures to simulate the dented areas on door outer, roof and hood panels. In addition, both 1% and 2% pre-strain and baking scenarios are considered for this plate, which represent the most common situations for exterior panels. The maximal dent load that the plates can sustain was calculated and compared for all those steel grades. Then the dent resistance analysis was conducted on a selected door outer panel. The minimum gauge required to meet the dent resistance performance was obtained. The potential to down-gauge the exterior panels using NEXMET® 440EX and 490EX is clearly revealed.
CitationLiang, J., Zhang, J., Zhu, F., Mutschler, R. et al., "Applying Advanced High Strength Steels on Automotive Exterior Panels for Lightweighting and Dent Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0535, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0535.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Kinsey, B.L. , “Tailor Welded Blanks for the Automotive Industry,” . In: Woodhead Publishing Series in Welding and Other Joining Technologies, 7. (Woodhead Publishing, 2011), 164-180. ISBN:9781845697044.
- Kelkar, A., Roth, R., and Clark, J. , “Automobile Bodies: Can Aluminum Be an Economical Alternative to Steel,” JOM 53(8):28-32, 2001.
- Elmarakbi, A. , Advanced Composite Materials for Automotive Applications: Structural Integrity and Crashworthiness (Wiley, 2014). ISBN:978-1-118-42386-8.
- Sulik, J. and Geeraert, J. , “Advanced High-Strength Steel Technologies in the 2019 Chevy Silverado,” Great Designs in Steel, Livonia Michigan, U.S., May 2018.
- Tibbenham, J. and Truskin, J. , “Advanced High Strength Steel Technologies in the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica,” Great Designs in Steel, Livonia Michigan, U.S., May 2017.
- Powers, J. , “Validation of Next Generation AHSS 1000MPa and 1200MPa Grades,” in International Automotive Body Congress, Dearborn, MI, Sep 2018.
- Tamarelli, C.M. , “AHSS101: The Evolving Use of Advanced High Strength Steels for Automotive Applications,” Steel Market Development Institute
- Iyengar, R.M., Laxman, S., Thirupathi, S., and Perumalswami, S. , “Grade and Gage Sensitivities to Oil-Canning Loads of a Door Assembly Considering Forming Effects,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0164, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0164.
- Sun, W. , “Newly Developed Advanced High Strength Steels for Automotive Lightweight Applications,” in Proceedings of the 8th Pacific Rim International Congress on Advanced Materials and Processing, Hawaii, U.S., Aug 2013.
- Liang, J., Powers, J., and Stevens, S. , “A Tailor Welded Blanks Design of Automotive Front Rails by ESL Optimization for Crash Safety and Lightweighting,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0120, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0120.
- Pine, T., Lee, M.M.K., and Jones, T.B. , “Weight Reduction in Automotive Structures-An Experimental Study on Torsional Stiffness of Box Sections,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 213(1):59-71, 1999.
- Zuo, W.J. and Bai, J.T. , “Cross-Sectional Shape Design and Optimization of Automotive Body with Stamping Constraints,” Int. J. Automotive Technology 17(6):1003-1011, 2016.
- Liang, J., Powers, J., Stevens, S. et al. , “A Method of Evaluating the Joint Effectiveness on Contribution to Global Stiffness and NVH Performance of Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper, 2017-01-0376, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0376.
- Hornung, M. and Hajj, M. , “Structural Bonding for Lightweight Construction,” Materials Science Forum 618-619:49-56, 2009.
- Liang, J., Liang, J., Fang, G., Pan, Z. et al. , “Evaluation of Spot Weld Models in Structural Dynamic Analysis of Automotive Body in White,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 24(1):84-90, 2011.
- Patil, D.V. and Sankpal, G.A. , “A Review on Effect of Spot Weld Parameters on Spot Weld Strength,” International Journal of Engineering Development and Research 3(1), 2014.
- Laxman, S. and Mohan, R. , “Structural Optimization: Achieving a Robust and Light-Weight Design of Automotive Components,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0794, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0794.
- Liang, J., Powers, J., and Stevens, S. , “Structural Optimization of a Pickup Frame Combining Thickness, Shape and Feature Parameters for Lightweighting,” SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 11(3), 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/05-11- 03-0018.
- Thuillier, S., Zang, S.L., Troufflard, J., Manach, P.Y. et al. , “Modeling Bake Hardening Effects in Steel Sheets- Application to Dent Resistance,” Metals 8(8), 2018, doi:10.3390/met8080594.
- Thomas, D. , “The Numerical Prediction of Panel Dent Resistance Incorporating Panel Forming Strains,” Master Thesis, University of Waterloo, 2001.
- Das, S., Singh, S.B., Mohanty, O.N., and Bhadeshia, H.K. , “Understanding the Complexities of Bake Hardening,” Materials Science and Technology 24(1):107-111, 2008.
- Auto Steel Partnership , “High Strength Steel Stamping Design Manual,” A/SP-0080-2.
- Lindqvist, K. , “Bake Hardening Effect in Advanced High-Strength Steels,” Master thesis in Applied Mechanics, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 2013.
- Iwama, T. , “Effect of Mechanical Properties and Forming Conditions on Outer Panel Performances of High Strength Steel Sheets,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0355, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0355.
- Borazjani, S. , “Light-Weight Design of Vehicle Roof Panel for Stiffness and Crash Analysis,” Doctoral Dissertation, 2016, DOI:10.6092/polito/porto/2678846.
- Dicello, A.J. and George, R.A. , “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistance of Auto Body Panels,” SAE Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740081.
- Yutori, Y., Nomura, S., Kokubo, I., and Ishigaki, H. , “Studies on the Static Dent Resistance,” Memoires Scientifiques Revue Metallurgie 77(4):561-569, April 1980.
- Seel, T.N. , “Bake Hardening Steel Application Study - Key Factors of Dent Resistance Improvement,” SAE Technical Paper 910291, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910291.
- McCormick, M.A., Meuleman, D.J., Fekete, J.R., and Shi, M.F. , “Effect of Steel Strengthening Mechanisms on Dent Resistance of Automotive Body Panels,” SAE Technical Paper 980960, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980960.
- Auto/Steel Partnership , “Standardized Dent Resistance Test Project Team Final Report,” Southfield, Michigan, Jan. 2001.
- Sriram, S. and Lanzi, O. , “Use of Response Surface Methodology for Prediction of Dent Resistance of Automotive Closure Panels,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0163, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0163.