This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Multivariate Control Chart Techniques to Identifying Nonconforming Pallets in Automotive Assembly Plants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The Hotelling multivariate control chart and the sample generalized variance |S| are used to monitor the mean and dispersion of vehicle build vision data including the pallet information to identify the non-conforming pallets that are used in body shops of FCA US LLC assembly plants. An iterative procedure and the Gaussian mixture model (GMM) are used to rank the non-conforming or bad pallets in the order of severity. The Hotelling multivariate T2 test statistic along with Mason-Tracy-Young (MYT) signal decomposition method is used to identify the features that are affected by the bad pallets. These algorithms were implemented in the Advanced Pallet Analysis module of the FCA US software Body Shop Analysis Toolbox (BSAT). The identified bad pallets are visualized in a scatter plot with a different color for each of the top bad pallets. The run chart of an affected feature confirms the bad pallet by highlighting data points from the bad pallet. The analysis module has been successfully used in the body shops of FCA US plants, including the plants in Canada and Mexico, in identifying the bad pallets. Two examples are presented to demonstrate the capability of the application.
CitationHuang, M., Wang, Y., Shirinkam, S., Alaeddini, A. et al., "Application of Multivariate Control Chart Techniques to Identifying Nonconforming Pallets in Automotive Assembly Plants," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0477, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0477.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- FCA US LLC , “Dimensional Technical Standards 2014 Programs and Forward,” Revision 4.0.
- Sakamoto, Y., Yamamoto, K. , “Development of Car Body Inspection System,” SAE Technical Paper 870885, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870885.
- Tracy, N.D., Young, J.C., and Mason, R.L. , “Multivariate Control Charts for Individual Observations,” Journal of Quality Technology 24(2):88-95, 1992.
- Mason, R.L., Tracy, N.D., and Young, J.C. , “Decomposition of T 2 for Multivariate Control Chart Interpretation,” Journal of Quality Technology 27(2):99-108, 1995.
- Dy, J.G. and Brodley, C.E. , “Feature Selection for Unsupervised Learning,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 5(Aug):845-889, 2004.
- Montgomery, D.C. , Introduction to Statistical Quality Control (John Wiley & Sons, 2007).
- Zivkovic, Z. , “Improved Adaptive Gaussian Mixture Model for Background Subtraction,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2, ICPR 2004, 28-31.
- Dash, M. and Liu, H. , “Feature Selection for Classification,” Intelligent Data Analysis 1(1-4):131-156, 1997.
- Sánchez-Maroño, N., Alonso-Betanzos, A., and Tombilla-Sanromán, M. , “Filter Methods for Feature Selection-A Comparative Study,” in International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning, 2007, Springer.
- Dash, M., et al. , “Feature Selection for Clustering-a Filter Solution,” in 2002 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, 2002 Proceedings, 115-122.
- Xu, R. and Wunsch, D. , Clustering. Vol. 10 (John Wiley & Sons, 2008).
- Yu, J. , “Fault Detection Using Principal Components-Based Gaussian Mixture Model for Semiconductor Manufacturing Processes,” IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing 24(3):432-444, 2011.
- Moon, T.K. , “The Expectation-Maximization Algorithm,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 13(6):47-60, 1996.
- Biernacki, C., Celeux, G., and Govaert, G. , “Assessing a Mixture Model for Clustering with the Integrated Completed Likelihood,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 22(7):719-725, Jul. 2000.
- Ghazanfari, M., Alaeddini, A., Niaki, S.T., and Aryanezhad, M.B.A. , “Clustering Approach to Identify the Time of a Step Change in Shewhart Control Charts,” Quality and Reliability Engineering International 24(7):765-778, Nov. 2008.
- Chen, J. and Chen, Z. , “Extended Bayesian Information Criteria for Model Selection with Large Model Spaces,” Biometrika 95(3):759-771, Sept. 2008.
- Sakamoto, Y., Ishiguro, M., and Kitagawa, G. , Akaike Information Criterion Statistics. Vol. 81 (Dordrecht, The Netherlands: D. Reidel, 1986).