This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Optimization and Aerodynamic Analysis of a Hybrid Blended Wing Body-VTOL Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) can be effectively used to serve humanitarian relief efforts during environmental disasters. Designing such UAVs presents challenges in optimizing design variables such as maximizing endurance, maneuverability and payload capacity with minimum launch and recovery area. The Blended Wing Body (BWB) is a novel aircraft configuration offering enhanced performance over conventional UAVs. Designing a blended wing configuration UAV takes into account interdependency between aerodynamic performance and stability. Designing BWB is peculiar and is investigated in this paper with a view to achieve an aerodynamically stable and structurally sound configuration. The designed UAV is a hybrid of a tailless blended-wing-body and a tri-copter configuration with two forward tilt motors for transition into cruise flight after vertical take-off and back to multirotor while landing (VTOL-Vertical Take Off and Landing). The BWB is iteratively optimized in XFLR-5 for Dynamic and static stability. The wing design was optimized for aerodynamic and structural fitness in MATLAB using Meta-heuristic optimization methodology based on genetic evolutionary algorithm. The 3D CAD design was conceived on SolidWorks and analyzed in Pressure Based Solver. The viscous flow simulations were carried out on the baseline design model using computational fluid dynamics/Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes for aerodynamic conformity. A three-dimensional (3D) Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) study was performed using the k-ω turbulence model in ANSYS Fluent to analyze the aerodynamic characteristics of the UAV. The aerodynamic efficiency of the UAV was increased by 8.34% through introduction of blended winglets.
CitationBahl, P., Rastogi, V., bainsla, A., and Sharma, N., "Design Optimization and Aerodynamic Analysis of a Hybrid Blended Wing Body-VTOL Unmanned Aerial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0472, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
- Chauhan, H.R., Panwar, H., and Rastogi, V. , “Structural Design & Optimization of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Wing for SAE Aero Design Challenge,” Int J Adv Res Innov 5:24-29, 2017.
- Hernan, C.-M., Izquierdo, D.D., and Pineda, S.J. , “Aerodynamic Study of Wingtip Devices on Non-Conventional Configuration BWB,” in 22nd International Congress of Mechanical Engineering (COBEM 2013).
- Kamal, A.M., Serrano, A., and Wachtmeister, G. , “Design Methodology for Hybrid (VTOL + Fixed Wing) Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” Aeronautics and Aerospace Open Access Journal 2, 2012, doi:10.15406/aaoaj.2018.02.00047.
- Tyan, M., Van Nguyen, N., Kim, S., and Kan, J. , “Comprehensive Preliminary Sizing/Resizing Method for a Fixed Wing - VTOL Electric UAV,” Aerospace Science and Technology 71:30-41, December 2017, doi:10.1016/j.ast.2017.09.008.
- Sadraey, M. , Aircraft Design: A System Engineering Approach (New Hampshire, USA: Daniel Webster College, 2013).
- Raymer, D.P. , Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach (Washington, DC: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1992).
- Turanoguz, E., and Alemdaroglu, N. , “Design of a Medium Range Tactical UAV and Improvement of its Performance by Using Winglets,” in Conference: 2015 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), 10.1109/ICUAS.2015.7152399.
- Inam, M.I., Mashud, M., Al-Nahian, A., and Selim, S.M.S. , “Induced Drag Reduction for Modern Aircraft Without Increasing the Span of the Wing by Using Winglet,” International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering 10(03).
- Moore, T.T. , “The Effect of Winglet Twist and Toe Angle on the Drag of a High Aspect Ratio Wing,” Retrospective Theses and Dissertations 4983, 1986. https://stars.library.ucf.edu/rtd/4983.
- Dagur, R., Singh, V., Grover, S., Sethi, N., and Arora, B.B. , “Design of Flying Wing UAV and Effect of Winglets on Its Performance,” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 8, 2018/03/01.
- Ordoukhanian, E. and Madni, A.M. , “Blended wing body Architecting and Design: Current Status and Future Prospects,” Procedia Computer Science. 28:619-625, 2014 Jan 1, doi:10.1016/j.procs.2014.03.075.
- De Lannoy, S. , “Wing Bending Calculation with a Single set of Equations,” Wingbike - A Human Powered Hydrofoil, Jan 2014, http://www.wingbike.nl/Wingbike_Hydrofoil/Background_files/Wing%20Deflection.pdf.