This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Flux Weakening Control Strategy for IPMSM (Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine) in Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As one of the core components of electric vehicles(EV), the drive motor system has a significant impact on the EV operation performance. The interior permanent magnet synchronous motor (IPMSM) has a wide range of applications in EV, due to its high efficiency, high power density, high torque current and wide speed range. In the field of EV, motor control system is required to have a high operating range. IPMSM operates at constant torque mode below rated speed and constant power mode above rated speed. The back electromotive force(Back-EMF) generated by the rotor in the constant power mode causes the inverter output voltage to saturate. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that the controller is still operating in the linear region by applying a flux weakening(FW) current to the stator.
This paper propose an optimal FW path control strategy based on a state space consisting of a direct-axis current and a cross-axis current, bounded by maximum torque per ampere (MTPA) curve, maximum current curve, and maximum torque per voltage (MTPV) curve. The approach is founded on the proposed method to adjust d- and q-axis reference stator current along constant torque curves using two-dimensional lookup tables. The control strategy is aimed at maximizing the output torque range and minimizing motor armature current at full motor speed range. To verify the strategy, a motor controller for EV is developed based on Infineon TC265 in this paper. Simulation and experimental result show that the control strategy can greatly improve the speed range of the motor and ensure good controllability of the torque above rated speed.
CitationLiu, Z., Zhang, L., Huang, D., Liu, E. et al., "A New Flux Weakening Control Strategy for IPMSM (Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine) in Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0466, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0466.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Hwang, H.S., et al. , “Torque Control of Engine Clutch to Improve the Driving Quality of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” 12.5: 763-768, 2011. doi:10.1007/s12239-011-0088-7.
- Muta, K., Yamazaki, M., and Tokieda, J. , “Development of New Generation Hybrid System THS II - Drastic Improvement of Power Performance and Fuel Economy,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0064, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0064.
- Thomas, J., Seok-Hee, H., Ayman, E.R., Jeihoon, B., Aydin, M., Mustafa, G., and Soong, W. , “Design and Experimental Verification of a 50 kW Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine,” 41: 1941-1948, 2006, 10.1109/IAS.2006.256801.
- Park, J.W., Koo, D.H., Kim, J.M., and Kim, H.G. , “Improvement of Control Characteristics of Interior Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor for Electric Vehicle,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 37(6):1754-1760, Nov./Dec. 2001, doi:10.1109/IAS.2000.882136.
- Fu, Z.X., Xiang, J., Reynolds, W.C., and Nefcy, B. , “Vector Control of an IPM Synchronous Machine Capable of Full Range Operations for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Application,” in Conf. Rec. IAS Annu. Meeting, 2003, 1443-1450, 10.1109/IAS.2003.1257747.
- Zhang, Y., Lin, F., Zhang, Z. and Xu, L. , “Direct Voltage Vector Control for Field Weakening Operation of PM Machines,” in 2010 Power and Energy Conference At Illinois (PECI), Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2010, 20-24. doi:10.1109/PECI.2010.5437161.
- Cheng, Y., Bouscayrol, A., and Trigui, R. , “Field Weakening Control of a PM Electric Variable Transmission for HEV,” J Elect. Eng. Technol. 8(5):1096-1106, Sep. 2013, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1096.
- Sue, S.M. and Pan, C.T. , “Voltage-Constraint-Tracking-Based Field-Weakening Control of IPM Synchronous Motor Drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. V55(1):340-347, 2008, doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.909087.
- Hu, D. and Xu, L. , “Characterizing the Torque Lookup Table of an IPM Machine for Automotive Application,” in 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), Beijing, 2014, 1-6. doi:10.1109/ITEC-AP.2014.6940865.
- Mohamed, Y.A.I. and Lee, T.K. , “Adaptive Self-Tuning MTPA Vector Controller for IPMSM Drive System,” IEEE Trans Energy Convers. 21(3):636-644, Sep. 2006.
- Bech, M.M., Frederiksen, T.S. and Sandholdt, P. , “Accurate Torque Control of Saturated Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors in the Field-Weakening Region,” in Fourtieth IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, 2005, Kowloon, Hong Kong, 2005, 2526-2532, 4. doi:10.1109/IAS.2005.1518815.
- Ge, H., Miao, Y., Bilgin, B., Nahid-Mobarakeh, B., and Emadi, A. , “Speed Range Extended Maximum Torque Per Ampere Control for PM Drives Considering Inverter and Motor Nonlinearities,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 32(9):7151-7159, Sept. 2017, doi:10.1109/TPEL.2016.2630051.
- Lee, J.H. et al. , “IPMSM Torque Control Method Considering DC-Link Voltage Variation and Friction Torque for EV/HEV Applications,” in 2012 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, Seoul, 2012, 1063-1069. doi:10.1109/VPPC.2012.6422502.
- Zhu, L. and Wen, X. , “A New Precise Torque Control Method of PMSMs in Flux-Weakening Operation,” in 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), Beijing, 2014, 1-4. doi:10.1109/ITEC-AP.2014.6940927.
- Infineon Technologies , “TC26x B-Step User’s Manual,” https://www.infineon.com/cms/cn/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-aurix-tc2xx/aurix-family-tc26xd/.