This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling, Validation and Control Strategy Development of a Hybrid Super Sport Car Based on Lithium Ion Capacitors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Today, the contribution of the transportation sector on greenhouse gases is evident. The fast consumption of fossil fuels and its impact on the environment have given a strong impetus to the development of vehicles with better fuel economy. Hybrid electric vehicles fit into this context with different targets, starting from the reduction of emissions and fuel consumption, but also for performance and comfort enhancement.
Lamborghini has recently invested in the development of a hybrid super sport car, due to performance and comfort reasons. Aventador series gearbox is an Independent Shift Rod gearbox with a single clutch and during gear shifts, as all the single clutch gearbox do, it generates a torque gap. To avoid the additional weight of a Dual Clutch Transmission, a 48V Electric Motor has been connected to the wheels, in a P3 configuration, to fill the torque gap, and to habilitate regenerative braking and electric boost functions.
This paper discusses the usage of a control-oriented vehicle and powertrain model to analyze the performance of the first Lithium Ion Capacitor-based hybrid V12 by Automobili Lamborghini. The internal combustion engine, the gearbox, the LiC and the vehicle longitudinal dynamics models have been initially validated through the comparison with experimental data from chassis dynamometer testing, in addition to experimental results from specific components’ testing.
As shown in the paper, the validated model has then been used to develop control strategies aimed at increasing comfort and performance, but also to expand the hybrid system capabilities by widening the LiC working range, and to study the possibility of implementing CO2 reduction-oriented control functions.
CitationFranceschi, A., Cavina, N., Parenti, R., Reggiani, M. et al., "Modeling, Validation and Control Strategy Development of a Hybrid Super Sport Car Based on Lithium Ion Capacitors," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0442, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0442.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Barasazu , R.C. , Cikanek , S.R. Torque Fill-In for an Automated Shift Manual Transmission in a Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Proceedings of the American Control Conference Anchorage, AK 2002
- Ford Global Technologies, LLC 2013
- Thiel , W. , Görf , S. , Hohenberg , G. , Lenzen , B. Investigations on Robot Drivers for Vehicle Exhaust Emission Measurements in Comparison to the Driving Strategies of Human Drivers International Fall Fuels and Lubricants San Francisco, CA 1998
- Guse , D. , Roehrich , H. , Lenz , M. , and Pischinger , S. Influence of Vehicle Operators and Fuel Grades on Particulate Emissions of an SI Engine in Dynamic Cycles SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0350 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0350
- Okui , N. Effects of the Differences in Driving Behavior on Fuel Economy and Emission Characteristics during Vehicle Simulator Execution SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1768 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1768
- Ehsani , M. , Gao , Y. , Gay , S.E. , Emadi , A. Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles. Fundamentals, Theory and Design CRC Press 2005 0-8493-3154-4
- Valmra , E. A New Approach for Ultracapacitor-Battery Hybrid Energy Storage Solutions International Workshop on Supercapacitor and Energy Storage Bologna 2019
- Thounthong , P. , Chunkag , V. , Sethakul , P. , Davat , B. et al. Comparative Study of Fuel-Cell Vehicle Hybridization with Battery or Supercapacitor Storage Device IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 58 8 October 2009
- Xun , Q. , Liu , Y. , and Holmberg , E. A Comparative Study of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles Hybridization with Battery or Supercapacitor International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion 2018
- Kapadia , J. , Kok , D. , Jennings , M. , Kuang , M. et al. Powersplit or Parallel - Selecting the Right Hybrid Architecture SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 6 1 68 76 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1154
- Zubieta , L. and Bonert , R. Characterization of Double-Layer Capacitors for Power Electronics Applications IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 36 1 January/February 2000
- Rick , A. and Sisk , B. A Simulation Based Analysis of 12V and 48V Microhybrid Systems Across Vehicle Segments and Drive Cycles SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1151 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1151
- Kim , T.S. , Manzie , C. , and Watson , H. Fuel Economy Benefits of Look-ahead Capability in a Mild Hybrid Configuration Proceedings of the 17th World Congress, The International Federation of Automatic Control Seoul, Korea 2008
- Liu , Z. , Ivanco , A. , and Filipi , Z. Impacts of Real-World Driving and Driver Aggressiveness on Fuel Consumption of 48V Mild Hybrid Vehicle SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 5 2 258 249 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1166
- Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Int. J. Advances & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1 2 734 761 2019 10.4271/2019-01-0314
- Liu , Z. , Shi , T. , Chen , K. , Hao , H. et al. Cost and Effectiveness Study of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technologies Based on China Data International Journal of Automotive Engineering 7 1 March 1, 2017
- Ranalli , M. State of the Art and Future Trends of Supercapacitor Technology International Workshop on Supercapacitor and Energy Storage Bologna 2019
- Faraji , S. and Ani , F.N. The Development Supercapacitor from Activated Carbon by Electrolessplating - A Review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 42 2015 823 834 2014 http://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.10.068
- Raza , W. , Ali , F. , Raza , N. , Luo , Y. et al. Recent Advancements in Supercapacitor Technology Nano Energy https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2018.08.013 52 441 473 2018
- Muzaffar , A. , Ahamed , M.B. , Deshmukh , K. , and Thirumalai , J. A Review on Recent Advances in Hybrid Supercapacitors: Design, Fabrication and Applications Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 101 2019 123 145 March 2019