This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Measurement Method of Aerodynamic Noise of Reactive Muffler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The aerodynamic noise of the reactive muffler is generated inside the muffler and mixed with the noise of the muffler body, which is difficult to be measured in the exhaust system. Based on two-microphone transfer function method and transmission loss of mufflers in the absence of airflow, this paper proposes a method for measuring the aerodynamic noise of the muffler. On the built-in muffler aerodynamic noise test bench, a special sampling tube was designed to measure the aerodynamic noise of the muffler at different flow velocity. For the sound absorption end with large reflection coefficient, the test and simulation data have large error at low frequency, and a correction formula that can eliminate the reflection of sound waves at the end of the test pipeline and form multiple reflections in the upstream and downstream is derived. The test results of the muffler on the test bench show: The aerodynamic noise data obtained by the sampling pipe is basically consistent with the simulation results by means of leading out measurement, which realizes the measurement of high noise in the pipe by ordinary sensor. The correction formula can effectively eliminate the influence of the reflected wave caused by the end load on the calculation of the transmission loss, reduce the performance requirements of the end sound absorbing material, and ensure the accuracy of the aerodynamic noise measurement.
CitationXie, L., Liu, Z., Yawei, Z., Liu, K. et al., "Research on Measurement Method of Aerodynamic Noise of Reactive Muffler," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0423, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Holland, K.R. and Davies, P.O.A.L. , “The Measurement of Sound Power Flux in Flow Ducts,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 230(4):915-932, 2000.
- Seybert, A.F. and Ross, D.F. , “Experimental Determination of Acoustic Properties Using a Two-Microphone Random-Excitation Technique,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 61(S1):1362-1370, 1977.
- Desantes, J.M., Torregrosa, A.J., and Broatch, A. , “Experiments on Flow Noise Generation in Simple Exhaust Geometries,” Acta Acustica United with Acustica 87(87):46-55, 2001.
- Torregrosa, A.J., Broatch, A., Climent, H. et al. , “A Note on the Strouhal Number Dependence of the Relative Importance of Internal and External Flow Noise Sources in IC Engine Exhaust Systems,” Journal of Sound & Vibration 282(3):1255-1263, 2005.
- Shenxin, G. , “Measurement and Evaluation of Muffler Airflow Regeneration Noise,” Noise and Vibration Control 3:30-32, 1989.
- Meng, Z. and Deyao, S. , “Experimental Device and Preliminary Results of Muffler Characteristics Study Under Pulsating Airflow,” Noise and Vibration Control 6:14-17, 1998.
- Fu, Z., Hui, G., Yansong, W. et al. , “Analysis of Airflow Regeneration Noise of Resonant Muffler,” Noise and Vibration Control 38(1):68-73, 2018 (in Chinese).
- Hong, L., Shiju, Z., Haijun, Z. et al. , “Study on Measurement Technology of Muffler Airflow Regeneration Noise,” Noise and Vibration Control 30(5):116-120, 2010.
- Haijun, Z. , Study on Airflow Regeneration Noise of Internal Combustion Engine Muffler, Chongqing University, Chongqing, 2010.
- Zhaoxiang, D., Haijun, Z., Shiju, Z. et al. , “Mechanism of Airflow Regeneration Noise Generation of Perforated Tube Muffler,” Journal of Internal Combustion Engine 5:452-457, 2009.
- Meng, T., Yang, Z., and Guangwei, W. , “Modified Calculation Method of Sound Insulation Performance of Acoustic Materials in Standing-Wave Tube,” Noise and Vibration Control 34(4), 2014.
- Dongli, P., Hu, B., and Yuli, Z. , “Modified Calculation Method for the Transmissive Coefficient of Dielectric Plate in Standing Wave Tube,” Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 41(4), 2007.
- Zheng, L. , "Study on Acoustic Design of Muffler Comprehensive Performance Test Platform,".
- Holland, K.R. and Davies, P.O.A.L. , “The Measurement of Sound Power Flux in Flow Ducts,” Journal of Sound & Vibration 230(4):915-932, 2000.
- Jinming, Z. , “Research on the Algorithm of Aeroacoustics Numerical Calculation,” Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, 2009.
- Jian, Y., Sheng, L., and Caichun, H. , “Transfer Function Measurement of Sound Absorption Coefficient in Impedance Tube,” Noise and Vibration Control 26(1):68-70, 2006.