This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Mechanism of Engine Idling Rattle Noise in Hybrid Transaxles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Quietness is one of the most important characteristics for Hybrid Electric Vehicle quality. Reduction of the rattle noise caused by the torque fluctuation of an internal combustion engine can contribute to get a customer satisfaction. Toyota Hybrid System(THS) also has same requirement. Especially, the rattle noise during idling may happen discontinuously despite of periodical engine combustion excitation. It is necessary to study the mechanism and reduce the rattle noise. At lower engine torque range, decreasing the torsional damper’s stiffness can improve this condition as the manual transaxle done. However, the rattle noise can occur easily in conditions of relatively large torque spike inputs to the torsional system, such as the engine start/stop function of THS using the motor/generator in the transaxle. It is necessary to analyze the dynamics of all related components in lower engine torque range and need to find the new technique satisfying in both the idling and engine start/stop condition. This paper presents one method to clarify the mechanism of rattle noise occurring during engine idling through the measurement of shafts torque, gear speed and gear mesh backlash within a transaxle. The results of the study contributed to the reduction of transaxle rattle noise, positively affecting customer satisfaction.
CitationTakeuchi, T., Miyasaka, K., Ito, M., and Nakamura, S., "A Study of Mechanism of Engine Idling Rattle Noise in Hybrid Transaxles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0421, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0421.
- Xu , Y. A 1-D Simulation Model for Analysis and Optimization of Gearbox Rattle Noise SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1780 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1780
- Andrew , S. Mathematical Model and Computer Simulation of Idle Gear Rattle SAE Technical Paper 910641 1991 https://doi.org/10.4271/910641
- Klaus , S. and Gerhard , T. New Torsional Damper Concept to Reduce Idle Rattle in Truck Transmissions SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2722 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2722
- Rivin , E.I. Analysis and Reduction of Rattling in Power Transmission Systems SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0032 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0032
- Malika , P. , Stephanos , T. , Homer , R. , and Patrick , K. Drive Rattle Elastodynamic Response of Manual Automotive Transmissions SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1586 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1586
- Tsutomu , F. and Tomoaki , K. An Improvement of the Prediction Method of the Idling Rattle in Manual Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1164 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1164
- Tsutomu , F. and Tomoaki , K. Predictive Calculation of Idling Rattle in Manual Transmissions SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0678 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0678
- Jun , K. , Masashi , K. , Masayuki , K. , and Masaya , T. 2013
- Shigetaro , Y. , Masashi , M. , and Osamu , U. 38 47 2000
- Kodo , N. , Kenji , M. , Hiroatsu , E. , Yoshito , M. , and Yugo , Y. 2018