This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Combustion Noise in a Small Common-Rail Direct-Injection Diesel Engine at Different Engine Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Stringent emission regulations on one hand and increasing demand for better fuel economy along with lower noise levels on the other hand require adoption of advanced common-rail direct-injection technologies in diesel engines. In the present work, a small 0.9-l, naturally aspirated, two-cylinder, common-rail direct-injection diesel engine is used for the analysis of combustion noise at different engine operating conditions. Experiments are conducted at different loads and engine speeds, incorporating both single and multiple (i.e. pilot and main) injections along with different injection timings. In the case of multiple injections, the influence of pilot injection quantity is also evaluated on the combustion noise while maintaining the same load. In-cylinder pressure was recorded with the resolution of 0.1 crank angle degree, and it was used for the quantitative analysis of noise assessed from the resulting cylinder pressure spectra, and sound pressure level. Results showed that the quantity of pilot injection has a considerable influence on combustion noise.
CitationKJ, R., Bundele, H., Mittal, M., and Mehta, P., "Analysis of Combustion Noise in a Small Common-Rail Direct-Injection Diesel Engine at Different Engine Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0419, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0419.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wallington, T.J., Kaiser, E.W., and Farrell, J.T. , “Automotive Fuels and Internal Combustion Engines: A Chemical Perspective,” Chemical Society Reviews 35:335-347, 2006, doi:10.1039/b410469m.
- Mittal, M., Donahue, R., Winnie, P., and Gillette, A. , “Exhaust Emissions Characteristics of a Multi-Cylinder 18.1-L Diesel Engine Converted to Fueled with Natural Gas and Diesel Pilot,” Journal of the Energy Institute 88(3):275-283, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.joei.2014.09.003.
- Chowdhury, S. and Yedavalli, R.K. , “Dynamics of Low Speed Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 112:123-144, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2017.02.002.
- Chowdhury, S. and Yedavalli, R.K. , “Vibration of High Speed Helical Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 142-143:176-190, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2018.04.033.
- Anderton, D. , “Relation between Combustion System and Engine Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 790270 , 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790270.
- Ricardo, H.R. , The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine First Edition (Glasgow: Blackie and Sons Ltd., 1931).
- Tung, V. and Crocker, M. , “Diesel Engine Noise and Relationship to Cylinder Pressure,” SAE Technical Paper 820237 , 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820237.
- Janeway, R. , “Combustion Control by Cylinder-Head Design,” SAE Technical Paper 290016 , 1929, https://doi.org/10.4271/290016.
- Le Mesurier, L.J. and Stansfield, R. , “Combustion in Heavy Oil Engines,” Transactions North-East Coast Inst. of Engineers and Shipbuilders, 195-220 and D178-D196, 1932.
- Craig, W. , “Theoretical Relationship between Combustion Pressure and Engine Vibration,” SAE Technical Paper 630094 , 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630094.
- Russell, M. , “Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and its Control,” SAE Technical Paper 730243 , 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730243.
- Grover, E.C. and Lalor, N. , “A Review of Low Noise Diesel Engine Design at I.S.V.R,” Journal of Sound & Vibration 403-431, 1973, doi:10.1016/S0022-460X(73)80033-1.
- Johannes, S. and Peter, R. , “Evaluation of the Combustion Noise of Passenger Car Diesel Engines,” Automotive and Engine Technology, 2016, doi:10.1007/s41104-016-0001-5.
- Ping, W., Xi-geng, S., Dong-xin, X., Hai-tao, Z. et al. , “Effect of Combustion Process on DI Diesel Engine Combustion Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2076 , 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2076.
- Reinhart, T. , “An Evaluation of the Lucas Combustion Noise Meter on Cummins ‘B’ Series Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 870952 , 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870952.
- Jung, I., Jin, J., So, H., Nam, C. et al. , “An Advanced Method for Developing Combustion Noise through the Analysis of Diesel Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):1379-1385, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1901.