This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three Dimensional Electromagnetic and NVH Analyses of Electric Motor Eccentricity to Enhance NVH Robustness for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electric motor whine is one of the main noise sources of hybrid and electric vehicles. Motor air gap eccentricity due to propulsion system deflection, part tolerances and manufacturing variation is typically ignored in motor NVH design and analysis. Such eccentricity can be a dominant noise source by amplifying critical motor whine orders up to 10 dB, leading to poor NVH robustness. However, this problem cannot be explained by conventional method based on symmetric 2D approach. New 3D electromagnetic (EM) and NVH analyses are developed and validated to accurately predict air gap induced motor noise to enhance NVH robustness: First, a true 3D full 360-degree electric motor model is developed to model asymmetric air gap distribution along motor stack length. Predicted 3D EM forces are mapped to mechanical finite-element mesh over the cylindrical stator surface. Furthermore, an enhanced 2.5D method is also developed that captures EM force variation along motor axial stack length, which offers reasonable accuracy and reduced computational costs. Statistical analysis is performed to predict probability of motor air gap distribution considering tolerance stack and manufacturing variation. Motor shaft bending and housing deformation induced air gap eccentricities are also analyzed to select optimal structure design that offers enhanced NVH robustness. The integrated 3D EM and NVH analyses successfully root caused and resolved eccentricity induced noise issues in a production hybrid electric vehicle (2-mode hybrid) and are used to enhance NVH robustness of General Motors’ hybrid and electric vehicles.
CitationHe, S., Zhang, P., Gandham, M., Omell, B. et al., "Three Dimensional Electromagnetic and NVH Analyses of Electric Motor Eccentricity to Enhance NVH Robustness for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0412, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0412.
- Wellmann , T. , Govindswamy , K. , and Tomazic , D. Impact of the Future Fuel Economy Targets on Powertrain, Driveline and Vehicle NVH Development SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab., and NVH 1 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1777
- Yu , B. , Fu , Z. , and Juang , T. Analytical Study on Electric Motor Whine Radiated from Hybrid Vehicle Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1055 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1055
- Tang , C. , Limsuwan , N. , Chandrasekhar , N. , Ma , Z. et al. Current Harmonics Impact on Torque Ripple in PM Machine Drive System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1231 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1231
- Arabi , S. , Steyer , G. , Sun , Z. , and Nyquist , J. Vibro-Acoustic Response Analysis of Electric Motor SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1850 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1850
- Nakada , T. , Ishikawa , S. , and Oki , S. Development of an Electric Motor for a Newly Developed Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1879 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1879
- Honjo , S. , Iwai , A. , Suzumori , H. , and Okamura , M. Development of Traction Motor for New Fuel Cell Vehicle and New Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0450 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0450
- He , S. NVH Design, Analysis and Optimization of Chevrolet Bolt Battery Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0994 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0994
- Wellmann , T. , Tousignant , T. , Govindswamy , K. , Tomazic , D. et al. NVH Aspects of Electric Drive Unit Development and Vehicle Integration SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1454 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1454
- Pittel , M. and Martin , D. eFlite Dedicated Hybrid Transmission for Chrysler Pacifica SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0396 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0396
- Kang , Q. , Gu , P. , Gong , C. , and Zuo , S. Test and Analysis of Electromagnetic Noise of an Electric Motor in a Pure Electric car SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1492 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1492
- Rezig , A. , Mekideche , M. , and Djerdir , A. Effect of Rotor Eccentricity Faults on Noise Generation in Permanent Magnet Chronous Motors Progress in Electromagnetics Research C 15 117 132 2010
- Chowdhury , S. and Yedavalli , R.K. Dynamics of Low Speed Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings Mechanism and Machine Theory 112 123 144 2017
- Chowdhury , S. and Yedavalli , R.K. Vibration of High Speed Helical Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 142-143 176 190 2018