This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Scale Command Shaping for Reducing NVH during Engine Shutdown
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-scale command shaping is a recently proposed feedforward control method aimed at mitigating undesirable vibrations in nonlinear systems. The TSCS strategy uses a scale separation to cancel oscillations arising from nonlinear behavior of the system, and command shaping of the remaining linear problem. One promising application of TSCS is in reducing engine restart and shutdown vibrations found in conventional and in hybrid electric vehicle powertrains equipped with start-stop features. The efficacy of the TSCS during internal combustion engine restart has been demonstrated theoretically and experimentally in the authors’ prior works. The present article presents simulation results and describes the verified experimental apparatus used to study TSCS as applied to the ICE shutdown case. The apparatus represents a typical HEV powertrain and consists of a 1.03 L three-cylinder diesel ICE coupled to a permanent magnet alternating current electric machine through a spur gear coupling. The EM is mounted on a plate and welded frame and is used to implement a given TSCS-designed torque profile to the ICE through Controlled Area Network messaging during its shutdown. Data is taken by on-board encoders and a Laser Doppler vibrometer. Application of the TSCS requires the estimation of the vibration modes of the system. To overcome possible inaccuracies, different approaches can be used, such as zero vibration, zero vibration and derivative and extra-insensitive input shapers. Robustness of these methods is then assessed by variation of the natural frequencies. Simulation results show the effectiveness of the TSCS strategy in significantly reducing undesirable powertrain and frame vibrations during ICE shutdown.
CitationAlyukov, A., Wilbanks, J., Khattak, M., and Leamy, M., "Two-Scale Command Shaping for Reducing NVH during Engine Shutdown," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0411, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0411.
- Canova , M. , Guezennec , Y. , and Yurkovich , S. On the Control of Engine Start/Stop Dynamics in a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 131 6 1 12 2009
- Chen , S. and Flynn , P. Development of a Single Cylinder Compression Ignition Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 650733 1965 https://doi.org/10.4271/650733
- Chowdhury , S. and Yedavalli , R.K. Dynamics of Low Speed Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings Mechanism and Machine Theory 112 123 144 2017
- Chowdhury , S. and Yedavalli , R.K. Vibration of High Speed Helical Geared Shaft Systems Mounted on Rigid Bearings International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 142-143 176 190 2018
- European Commission 2015 http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/index_en.htm
- Hellwig , E. https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/macan/2015/long-term-roadtest/2015-porsche-macan-rough-start-stop-system.html 2015
- International Energy Agency http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/co2-emissions-from-fuel-combustion-highlights-2016.html 2016
- Ramos , J.I. Internal Combustion Engine Modeling 80 Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Santos , G. Road Transport and CO2 Emissions: What Are the Challenges? Transport Policy 59 71 74 2017
- Taub , E.A. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/automobiles/wheels/start-stop-technology-is-coming-to-cars-like-it-or-not.html
- Taylor , C.F. The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice (Thermodynamics, Fluid Flow, Performance) 1 MIT Press 1985
- Wilbanks , J.J. and Leamy , M.J. Experimental Apparatus for Assessing the Nonlinear Dynamics of Engine Restart and Shutdown Proceedings of the ASME 2018 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Quebec City, Canada
- Wilbanks , J.J. and Leamy , M.J. Experimental Assessment of Two-Scale Command Shaping Applied to Engine Restart Control Engineering Practice 90 190 206 2019
- Wilbanks , J.J. and Leamy , M.J. Two-Scale Command Shaping for Reducing Powertrain Vibration during Engine Restart Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 139 9 091004