This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Analysis of Front End Accessory Drive System with Overrunning Alternator Decoupler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The generator is an important loaded component of an engine front end accessory drive system (EFEADS). With a huge moment of inertia and a highest running speed, the vibration and noise often occurs in operation, which has an effect on the service life. Thus an overrunning alternator decoupler (OAD) is used in the EFEADS for reducing the vibration of system. In this paper, a model of EFEADS with an OAD is established. The impact of the OAD on the dynamic responses of pulley of generator and the system are analyzed, and is verified by bench experiments. And the influence of parameters, such as spring stiffness, moment of inertia of generator and loaded torque on the dynamic performances of the system are studied. The influence of misalignment in pulleys on the dynamic performance of system is also discussed. The presented method is useful for optimizing the dynamic performance of system, such as the oscillation of tensioner arm and the slip ratio of the belt-generator pulley.
CitationYin, Z., Long, S., Sun, Y., Zhao, W. et al., "Modeling and Analysis of Front End Accessory Drive System with Overrunning Alternator Decoupler," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0398, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0398.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Sheng, G., Brown, L., Liu, K., Otremba, J. et al. , “Chirp, Squeal and Dynamic Instability of Misaligned V-Ribbed Belts Automotive Accessory Belt Drive Systems,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 3:88-105, 2007, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2007.014399.
- Sandhu, J.S., Wehrly, M.K., Resh, W.F., and Rose, B.A. , “An Investigation of Rotational Response of Accessory Drive Serpentine Belt System,” , 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1425.
- Feng, X., Shangguan, W., Deng, J., Jing, X., and Ahmed, W. , “Modelling of the Rotational Vibrations of the Engine Front-End Accessory Drive System: A Generic Method,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 231:1780-1795, 2017, doi:10.1177/0954407016685966.
- Kraver, T.C., Fan, G.W., and Shah, J.J. , “Complex Modal Analysis of a Flat Belt Pulley System with Belt Damping and Coulomb-Damped Tensioner,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 118(2):306-311, 1996, doi:10.1115/1.2826885.
- Hwang, S.J., Perkins, N.C., Ulsoy, A.G., and Meckstroth, R. , “Rotational Response and Slip Prediction of Serpentine Belt Drives Systems,” Journal of Vibration Acoustics 17:71-78, 1994, doi:10.1115/1.2930400.
- Beikmann, R.S., Perkins, N.C., and Ulsoy, A.G. , “Free Vibration of Serpentine Belt Drive Systems,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 118(4):406-413, 1996, doi:10.1115/1.2888197.
- Beikmann, R.S., Perkins, N.C., and Ulsoy, A.G. , “Design and Analysis of Automotive Serpentine Belt Drive Systems for Steady State Performance,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Transactions of the ASME 119(2):162-168, 1997, doi:10.1115/1.2826231.
- Michelotti, A. et al. , “Future Trends in the Conceptual Design of Alternator Pulleys,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0226, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0226.
- Michelotti, A., Pastorelli, P.P., Ferreira, A.L.F., Berto, L.F., Takemori, C.K., Da Silva, D.W. et al. “In-Vehicle Experimental Tests to Evaluate the Performance of Alternator Pulleys,” Sao Paulo, Brazil: SAE International, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-36-0433.
- Michelotti, A.C., Paza, A., Maurici, A., Foppa, C. et al. , “Functional Testing of Alternator Pulleys in Chassis Dynamometer,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0124, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0124.
- Xu, J. and Antchak, J. , “New Technology to Improve the Performance of Front End Accessory Drive System,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3017, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3017.
- Balaji, R. and Mockensturm, E.M. , “Dynamic Analysis of a Front-End Accessory Drive with a Decoupler/Isolator,” Int. J. Vehicle Design 39(3):208-231, 2005, doi:10.1504/IJVD.2005.008472.
- Balaji, R. and Mockensturm, E.M. , Dynamic Analysis of a Serpentine Belt Drive with a Decoupler/Isolator (Anaheim, CA: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2004), 291-303, doi:10.1115/IMECE2004-61662.
- Zhu, F. and Parker, R.G. , “Non-Linear Dynamics of a One-Way Clutch in Belt-Pulley Systems,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 279(1-2):285-308, 2005, doi:10.1115/DETC2003/VIB-48590.
- Zeng, X. and Shangguan, W. , “Modelling and Optimisation Dynamic Performances for an Engine Front End Accessory Drive System with Overrunning Alternator Decoupler,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 3:261-274, 2012, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2012.048167.
- Chowdhury, S. and Yedavalli, R.K. , “Dynamics of Belt-Pulley-Shaft Systems,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 98:199-215, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2015.11.011.