This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coated Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology Development to Meet China6 PN Regulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the introduction of stringent particulate number (PN) limits and real driving emission (RDE) requirements, gasoline particulate filters (GPFs) have been widely adopted in Europe and China. GPFs can be coated with different amounts of three-way catalyst (TWC) coating. Some applications use large amounts of washcoat (>100g/L) whereas some don’t use at all. Pressure drop (DP) and PN filtration efficiency (FE) are the top two design criteria. It is important to understand how various coating technologies can be applied to GPF technologies for optimized FE/DP performance. To study filter and coating interaction, a matrix of coated GPFs was prepared and tested for lab DP and vehicle PN based FE. The matrix includes samples with a wide range of washcoat loadings (WCLs), differing coating technologies that target more coating inside GPF filter walls (Tech A) or more on the surface of filter walls (Tech B), and GPF technologies with high and low mean pore size (MPS). Scanning electron microscope (SEM) is used to analyze the microstructure of coated filter walls and coating distribution for a better understanding of filter performance data. In general, DP and FE of coated filters are found to increase with WCL. Filters with lower MPS have higher DP and FE. Tech A has lower DP and FE when WCL is relatively low. Tech B is found to help to improve filtration performance, especially initial FE at fresh status.
- Jian Chen - Corning Inc
- Suhao He - Corning Inc
- Wenzheng Xia - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co
- Xinbo Yuan - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co
- Dongxia Yang - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co
- Gavin harle - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co
- Depeng zhao - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co
- Heng Lu - SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co. Ltd.
- Guodong Wang - SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co. Ltd.
- Gaojian li - SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co. Ltd.
CitationChen, J., He, S., Xia, W., Yuan, X. et al., "Coated Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology Development to Meet China6 PN Regulation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0387, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0387.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- China 6 Legislation: GB18352.6-2016, “Limits and Measurement Methods for Emissions from Light-duty Vehicles.”
- Czerwinski, J., Comte, P., Engelmann, D., Heeb, N. et al. , “PN-Emissions of Gasoline Cars MPI and Potentials of GPF,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0363, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0363.
- Gorgen, M., Nijs, M., Lehn, H., Scharf, J. et al. , “Current and Future Trends of Gasoline Particulate Filter Technologies, Calibration Strategies and Aging Methods,” in 26th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2017.
- Wang, Y., Zheng, R., Shuai, S., Qin, Y. et al. , “The Impact of Fuel Properties from Chinese Market on the Particulate and VOCs Emissions of a PFI and a DIG Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0838, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0838.
- Bromberg, L. and Cohn, D. , “Optimized PFI+DI Operation for Minimizing DI Gasoline Engine Particulates,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1415, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1415.
- Demuynck, J., Favre, C., Bosteels, D., Hamje, H. et al. , “Real-World Emissions Measurements of a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle without and with a Gasoline Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0985, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0985.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., Skaperdas, E., Papaioannou, E. et al. , “Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1016.
- Salvat, O., Marez, P., and Belot, G. , “Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0473, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0473.
- Boger, T. , “Global Experiences of the Adoption of Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) on Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Cars,” in 13th Integer Emissions Summit Europe &AdBlueForum 2017, Dresden, Jun 27-29, 2017,
- Johnson, T. and Joshi, A. , “Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1307-1330, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0329.
- Tang, W., Siani, A., Chen, F., and Chen, B. , “On Developing Advanced Catalysts Systems to Meet China New Regulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0978, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0978.
- Hua, L., Pan, J., MIAO, S., Gu, D. et al. , “Effect of Ash on Gasoline Particulate Filter Using an Accelerated Ash Loading Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1258, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1258.
- Zhang, R., Howard, K., Kirkman, P., Browne, D. et al. , “A Study into the Impact of Engine Oil on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance through a Real-World Fleet Test,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0299, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0299.
- Lambert, C., Bumbaroska, M., Dobson, D., Hangas, J. et al. , “Analysis of High Mileage Gasoline Exhaust Particle Filters,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2), 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0941.
- Colignon, C., Zhang, K., and Coulet, B. , “Bare Gasoline Particulate Filter System Design & Application,” in SAE International Powertrains, Fuel & Lubricant Meeting, Beijing, China, October 16-19, 2017.
- Xia, W., Yuan, X., Yang, D., Zheng, Y. et al. , “Design of Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (cGPF) and Investigation of its Durability Performance Using Accelerated Engine Aging,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0970, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0970.
- Zheng, Y., Yuan, E., Ma, X., Liu, H. et al. , “Bare GPF System Solution to Meet High Filtration Needs,” in Word Internal Combustion Engine Congress and Exhibition, Wuxi, China, Nov. 11-19, 2018.
- Inoda, S., Nomura, Y., Ori, H., and Yabuzaki, Y. , “Development of New Coating Technology Optimized for each Function of Coated GPF,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0929, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0929.
- Willard, C. , “Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) Performance and Durability,” in SAE International Powertrains, Fuel & Lubricant Meeting, Beijing, China, October 16-19, 2017.
- Boger, T. , “Advanced Gasoline Particulate Filter Technologies,” in Word Internal Combustion Engine Congress and Exhibition, Wuxi, China, Nov. 11-19, 2018.
- Xia, W., Zheng, Y., He, X., Yang, D. et al. , “Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) Performance: Effect of Driving Cycle, Fuel, Catalyst Coating,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2366, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2366.
- Lu, Z., Li, W., Zeng, X., He, Q. et al. , “A Study of Ash Accumulation on Gasoline Particulate Filter through on-Road Fleet Durability Test,” in The 9th Aachen Colloquium, Aachen, Germany, 2019.
- Zhang, Q., Wu, X., Ren, X., Zhang, D. et al. , “Geely CN6 Aftertreatment System Design and Validation,” in Word Internal Combustion Engine Congress and Exhibition, Wuxi, China, Nov. 11-19, 2018.
- Custer, N., Kamp, C., Sappok, A., Pakko, J. et al. , “Lubricant-Derived Ash Impact on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1604-1614, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0942.