This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Simple Detection of Gasoline Fuel Contaminants Contributing to Increase Particulate Matter Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The reduction of particulate emissions is one of the most important challenges facing the development of future gasoline engines. Several studies have demonstrated the impact of fuel chemical composition on the emissions of particulate matter, more particularly, the detrimental effect of high boiling point components such as heavy aromatics. Fuel contamination is likely to become a critical issue as new regulations such as Real Driving Emissions RDE involves the use of market fuel. The objective of this study is to investigate several experimental approaches to detect the presence of Diesel contamination in Gasoline which is likely to alter pollutant emissions. To achieve this, a fuel matrix composed of 12 fuels was built presenting diesel fuel in varying concentrations from 0.1 to 2% v/v. The fuel matrix was characterized using several original techniques developed in this study. These are Near Infrared spectroscopy (NIR) associated to Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Partial Least Square (PLS) modelling, filtration. Their capacity to identify diesel fuel was compared to standard methods, such as, distillation, washed and unwashed gums, high boiling components by gas chromatography (EN16270 and VDA265). Furthermore, vehicle tests were conducted to evaluate the impact of Diesel contamination on tailpipe particle emissions on Worldwide harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure WLTP. Vehicle test results suggest a significant impact of Diesel contamination on Particle emissions. A good detection of Diesel fuel (down to 0.5% v/v) is accomplished using filtration, NIR and high boiling components. Filtration and NIR have the added benefit of availability, ease of use and small test duration. This work highlights the critical impact of Diesel fuel contamination on pollutant emissions from future Gasoline engines. It proposes a novel practical approach of measuring Diesel contamination in market gasoline fuels.
- Arij Ben Amara - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Marion Lacoue-Negre - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- David Goncalves - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Melinda Tebib - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Yutaka Iida - Toyota Motor Corp.
- Takashi Nomura - Toyota Motor Corp.
- Isabelle Leveque - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Vincent Souchon - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Mickael Matrat - IFP Energies Nouvelles
- Laurie Starck - IFP Energies Nouvelles
CitationBen Amara, A., Lacoue-Negre, M., Goncalves, D., Tebib, M. et al., "Study of Simple Detection of Gasoline Fuel Contaminants Contributing to Increase Particulate Matter Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0384, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0384.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Heal, M.R., Kumar, P., and Harrison, R.M. , “Particles, Air Quality, Policy and Health,” Chemical Society Reviews 41(19):6606-6630, 2012, doi:10.1039/c2cs35076a.
- World Health Organization, “Health Effects of Particulate Matter: Policy Implications for Countries in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia,” ISBN 978 92 890 0001 7.
- Sierra-Vargas, M.P. and Teran, L.M. , “Air pollution: Impact and Prevention,” Respirology (Carlton, Vic.) 17(7):1031-1038, 2012, doi:10.1111/j.1440-1843.2012.02213.x.
- Ben Amara, A., Tahtouh, T., Ubrich, E., Starck, L. et al. , “Critical Analysis of PM Index and Other Fuel Indices: Impact of Gasoline Fuel Volatility and Chemical Composition,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1741, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1741.
- Barrientos, E.J., Anderson, J.E., Maricq, M.M., and Boehman, A.L. , “Particulate Matter Indices Using Fuel Smoke Point for Vehicle Emissions with Gasoline, Ethanol Blends, and Butanol Blends,” Combustion and Flame 167:308-319, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.01.034.
- Khalek, I.A., Bougher, T., and Jetter, J.J. , “Particle Emissions from a 2009 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using Different Commercially Available Fuels,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):623-637, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2117.
- Olson, D.B., Pickens, J.C., and Gill, R.J. , “The Effects of Molecular Structure on Soot Formation II. Diffusion Flames,” Combustion and Flame 62(1):43-60, 1985, doi:10.1016/0010-2180(85)90092-6.
- Olson, D.B. and Pickens, J.C. , “The Effects of Molecular Structure on Soot Formation, I. Soot Thresholds in Premixed Flames,” Combustion and Flame 57(2):199-208, 1984, doi:10.1016/0010-2180(84)90057-9.
- European Committee for Standardization, “Automotive Fuels - Diesel - Requirements and Test Methods - EN590,” EN 590, Rev., 2014.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO/TC 28, “Petroleum and Related Products from Natural or Synthetic Sources - Determination of Distillation Characteristics at Atmospheric Pressure,” ISO 3405, 2019th ed., Rev., 2019.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO/TC 28, “Petroleum Products - Gum Content of Fuels - Jet Evaporation Method,” ISO 6246, 2017th ed., Rev., 2017.
- European Committee for Standardization, EN, “Automotive Fuels - Determination of High-Boiling Components Including Fatty Acid Methyl Esters in Petrol and Ethanol (E85) Automotive Fuel - Gas Chromatography Method,” 16270, 2016th ed., Rev., 2016.
- Der Automobilinductrie, Verband , “Bestimmung des Anteils hochsiedender Komponenten im Ottokraftoff mittels Gaschromatographie,” VDA 265, Rev., 2008.
- Brouillette, C., Smith, W., Shende, C., Gladding, Z. et al. , “Analysis of Twenty-Two Performance Properties of Diesel, Gasoline, and Jet Fuels Using a Field-Por\ Near-Infrared (NIR) Analyzer,” Appl Spectrosc 70(5):746-755, 2016, doi:10.1177/0003702816638279.
- Salvatore, Rand and Allen, Verstuyft , “The Significance of Tests for Petroleum Products,” 9th ed, 2018, ISBN 978-0-8031-7109-1.