This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Butanol Blend Fuels on Diesel Engines - Effects on Combustion and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Butanol, a four-carbon alcohol, is considered in the last years as an interesting alternative fuel, both for Diesel and for gasoline application. Its advantages for engine operation are: good miscibility with gasoline and diesel fuels, higher calorific value than ethanol, lower hygroscopicity, lower corrosivity and possibility of replacing aviation fuels. Like ethanol, butanol can be produced as a biomass-based renewable fuel or from fossil sources.
In the research project, DiBut (Diesel and butanol) addition of butanol to Diesel fuel was investigated from the points of view of engine combustion and of influences on exhaust aftertreatment systems and emissions. One investigated engine (E1) was with emission class “EU Stage 3A” for construction machines, another one, engine (E2) was HD Euro VI.
The most important findings are: with higher butanol content, there is a lower heat value of the fuel and there is lower torque at full load. With Bu30 the conversion rates of CO and HC in the oxidation catalyst (DOC) are slightly lower, light-off temperatures are a little higher and NO2 production is lower. The PM-emissions with Bu30 are lower, so the soot loading of DPF takes a longer time. No impacts of Bu30 on NOx reduction rates of the SCR-system and on the non-legislated gaseous emission components were found.
The operation of engine (E1) with Bu30 (30% vol butanol in fuel) was instable at lower part load due to the lower Cetane Number of the blend fuel. The electronic control system of the engine (E2) compensated very well the varying properties of fuels up to Bu30. For both investigated engines, the butanol rate (Bu30) can be considered as a limit for a problem-free engine starting and operation.
CitationEngelmann, D., Czerwinski, J., Nauroy lng, H., Comte, P. et al., "Use of Butanol Blend Fuels on Diesel Engines - Effects on Combustion and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0333, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0333.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Rarbach , M. and Söltl , Y.
- Giakoumis , E.G. , Rakopoulos , C.D. , Dimaratos , A.M. , and Rakopoulos , D.C. Exhaust Emissions with Ethanol or n -Butanol Diesel Fuel Blends during Transient Operation: A Review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 17 170 190 2013
- Lapuerta , M. , Hernández , J.J. , Rodriguez-Fernández , J. , Barba , J. et al. Emission Benefits from the Use of n-Butanol Blends in a Euro 6 Diesel Engine International Journal of Engine Research 19 10 2018
- Siwale , L. , Kristof , L. , Adam , T. , Bereczky , A. , Mbarawa , M. , Penninger , A. , Kolesnikov , A. n-Butanol-Diesel (D2) Blend Fired in a Turbo-Charged Compression Ignition Engine: Performance and Combustion Characteristic http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.72879 March 2018
- Shukla , M.K. , Tharke , G.D. , Saxena , R.C. , Sharma , Y.K. , Jain , A.K. , and Singal , S.K. Butanol/Diesel Blends as a CI Engine Fuel: Physicochemical and Engine Perfor-mance Characteristics Evaluation TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 9th International Colloquium “Fuels” 2013
- Anuj , P. , Manisch , V. , Sahil , G. , and Naveen , K. Performance and Emission Characteristics of Isobutanol-Diesel Blend in Water Cooled CI Engine Employing EGR with EGR Intercooler SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0151 September 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0151
- Soloiu , V. , Duggan , M. , Harp , S. , Vlcek , B. , and Williams , D. PFI (Port Fuel Injection) of n-Butanol and Direct Injection of Biodiesel to Attain LTC (Low-Temperature Combustion) for Low-Emissions Idling in a Compression Engine Energy 52 143 154 2013
- Han , X. , Yang , Z. , Wang , M. , Tjong , J. , and Zheng , M. Clean Combustion of n-Butanol as a Biofuel Next Generation for Diesel Engines Applied Energy 198 2016 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.059
- Kaack , M. , Weiskirch , Ch. , and Eilts , P.
- Brassat , A. , Thewes , M. , Müther , M. , and Pischinger , S. Massgeschneiderte Kraftstoffe aus Biomasse für Ottomotoren MTZ 12 988 2011
- Wallner , Th. , Ickes , A. , Lawyer , K. , Ertl , D. , and Williamson , R. Sept. 2013
- Marchitto , L. , Mazzei , A. , Merola , S.S. , Tornatore , C. , and Valentino , G. Optical Investigations of Combustion Process in SI and CI Engines Fuelled with Butanol Blends TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 9th International Colloquium “Fuels” 2013
- Irimescu , A. , Tornatore , C. , Merola , S.S. , and Valentino , G. Integrated Diagnostics for Combustion Investigation in a DISI Engine Fueled with Butanol and Gasoline at Different Load Settings TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 10th International Colloquium “Fuels” Stuttgart/Ostfildern January 2015 S. 117
- Tornatore , C. , Marchitto , L. , Valentino , G. , Corcione , F.E. et al. Optical Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in a PFI SI Boosted Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blend Energy 45 1 277 287 2012 10.1016/j.energy.2012.03.006
- Merola , S. , Tornatore , C. , Marchitto , L. , Valentino , G. et al. Experimental Investigations of Butanol-Gasoline Blends Effects on the Combustion Process in a SI Engine International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering 2012 10.1186/2251-6832-3-6
- Szwaja , S. and Naber , J.D. Combustion of n-Butanol in a Spark-Ignition IC Engine Fuel 89 7 1573 1582 2010 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043
- Gu , X. , Huang , Z. , Cai , J. , Gong , J. , and Lee , C. Emission Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-n-Butanol Blends in Combination with EGR Fuel 93 611 617 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.040
- Dernotte , J. , Mounaim-Rousselle , C. , Halter , F. , and Seers , P. Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-Injection, Spark-Ignition Engine Oil Gas Sci Technol - Rev IFP 65 345 351 2010 10.2516/ogst/2009034
- Vojtisek-Lom , M. , Pechout , M. , and Mazac , M. Real-Word On-Road Exhaust Emissions from an Ordinary Gasoline Car Operated on E85 and on Butanol-Gasoline Blend SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0102 Sept. 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0058
- Liu , H. , Wang , X. , Zhang , D. , Dong , F. et al. Investigation on Blending Effects of Gasoline Fuel with N-butanol, DMF, and Ethanol on the Fuel Consumption and Harmful Emissions in a GDI Vehicle Energies 2019 12(10) 1845 https//doi.org/10.3390/en12101845
- Urbansky , F.
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Neubert , T. , Heitzer , A. , and Kasper , M. July 2007 https://www.jsae.or.jp/en/ www.sae.org
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Meyer , M. , and Kasper , M. A Modern HD-Diesel Engine with Rapeseed Oil, DPF & SCR SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1382 April 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1382
- Mayer , A. , Czerwinski , J. , Wyser , M. , and Heitzer , A. Particle Emissions of Diesel Busses with RME/Diesel Blends. Euro Oil & Fuel Journal of Scientific Works of Institute of Petrol & Gas 172 37 2010
- Ulrich , A. , Mayer , A. , Kasper , M. , Wichser , A. , and Czerwinski , J.
- Mayer , A. , Czerwinski , J. , and Kasper , M. Nanosize Metal Oxide Particle Emissions from Diesel- and Petrol-Engines Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ICEF2011 2011 Morgantown, WV
- Stepien , Z. ; Czerwinski , J. ; Urzedowska , W. ; Oleksiak , S. Research on Emissions and Engine Lube Oil Deterioration of Diesel Engines with BioFuels (RME) SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1302 April 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1302
- Venkatesan , E.P. , Kandhasamy , A. ; Sivalingam , A. Kumar , A. Ramalingam , K. Joshua , P. Balasubramanian , D. Performance and Emission Reduction Characteristics of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle-Water Emulsion Biofuel in Diesel Engine with Modified Coated Piston Environ Sci Pollut Res 26 , 27362 27371 2019 10.1007/s11356-019-05773-z
- Elumalai , P.V. , Annamalai , K. , and Dhinesh , B. Effects of Thermal Barrier Coating on the Performance, Combustion and Emission of DI Diesel Engine Powered by Biofuel Oil-Water Emulsion J Therm Anal Calorim 137 593 2019 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7948-6 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10973-018-7948-6
- Balasubramanian , D. , Venugopal , I. , and Viswanathan , K. Characteristics Investigation on Di Diesel Engine with Nano-Particle as an Additive in Lemon Grass Oil SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0081 2019 10.4271/2019-28-0081
- Ramalingam , K. , Kandasamy , A. , Balasubramanian , D. , Palani , M. et al. Forcasting of an ANN Model for Predicting Behaviour of Diesel Engine Energised by a Combination of Two Low Viscous Biofuels Environ Sci Pollut Res 2019 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-019-06222-7
- Heintzel , A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-to-X
- Lennox , S. , Lukács , K. , Torok , A. , Akos , B. et al. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of n-Butanol/Diesel Fuel Blend in a Turbo-Charged Compression Ignition Engine Fuel 107 409 418 2013
- Srivastava , D.K. , Agarwal , A. , Datta , A. , and Maurya , R.K. Advances in Internal Combustion Engine Research Energy, Environment, and Sustainability https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7575-9