This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Modeling of Gas-Fuel Interaction and Mixture Formation in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine Coupled With the ECN Spray G Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The thorough understanding of the effects due to the fuel direct injection process in modern gasoline direct injection engines has become a mandatory task to meet the most demanding regulations in terms of pollutant emissions. Within this context, computational fluid dynamics proves to be a powerful tool to investigate how the in-cylinder spray evolution influences the mixture distribution, the soot formation and the wall impingement. In this work, the authors proposed a comprehensive methodology to simulate the air-fuel mixture formation into a gasoline direct injection engine under multiple operating conditions.
At first, a suitable set of spray sub-models, implemented into an open-source code, was tested on the Engine Combustion Network Spray G injector operating into a static vessel chamber. Such configuration was chosen as it represents a typical gasoline multi-hole injector, extensively used in modern gasoline direct injection engines. Afterwards, the Spray G injector was coupled with the Darmstadt optical engine and full-cycle simulations were carried out for three operating points, combining two engine speeds, respectively equal to 800 rpm and 1500 rpm, and two different engine loads, with pressures of 0.95 bar and 0.4 bar in the intake manifold. The case at 800 rpm and 0.95 bar represented the reference condition. By switching to 1500 rpm and 0.95 bar the effect of the piston speed on the in-cylinder flow and spray evolution was analysed, while the reduction of the intake pressure down to 0.4 bar, coupled with the engine speed of 800 rpm, allowed to study the effects of the engine load on spray evolution and mixture fraction formation. Furthermore, comparisons between the engine cases at 0.95 bar and the simulations in vessel allowed to understand the effects exerted by the turbulence generation on the spray morphology.
A detailed post-processing was proposed for each condition. For the vessel, axial vapor and liquid penetrations were assessed, along with spray morphology and liquid mass distribution inside the jet. In the engine, quantities such as in-cylinder gas velocities, mixture fraction distribution and charge homogeneity were investigated. The achieved results demonstrated the potential of the computational fluid dynamics as an effective tool for direct-injection, spark ignition engines optimization towards the goals of emissions reduction and increased efficiency.
CitationPati, A., Paredi, D., Lucchini, T., and Hasse, C., "CFD Modeling of Gas-Fuel Interaction and Mixture Formation in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine Coupled With the ECN Spray G Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0327, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0327.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Bardi , M. , Pilla , G. , and Gautrot , X. Experimental Assessment of the Sources of Regulated and Unregulated Nanoparticles in Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines International Journal of Engine Research 20 1 128 140 2019 10.1177/1468087418817448
- Margot , X. Editorial ‘Thermo- and Fluid-Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines’: Thiesel 2018 Special Issue by Xandra Margot International Journal of Engine Research 20 1 3 5 2019 10.1177/1468087418820951
- Koch , P. , Löffler , M. , Wensing , M. , and Leipertz , A. Study of the Mixture Formation Processes Inside a Modern Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine International Journal of Engine Research 11 6 455 471 2010 10.1243/14680874JER606
- ESI Group https://openfoam.org/
- Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Brusiani , F. , Bianchi , G. et al. Multi-Dimensional Modeling of the Air/Fuel Mixture Formation Process in a PFI Engine for Motorcycle Applications SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0015 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0015
- Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , and Fiocco , M. Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Gas Exchange and Fuel-Air Mixing Processes in a Direct-Injection, Gas Fueled Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0036 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0036
- Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Onorati , A. , Bonandrini , G. et al. Development and Application of a Computational Fluid Dynamics Methodology to Predict Fuelair Mixing and Sources of Soot Formation in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines International Journal of Engine Research 15 5 581 596 2014 10.1177/1468087413500297
- Paredi , D. , Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Onorati , A. et al. Combined Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the ecn Spray g under Different Engine-Like Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0281 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0281
- Freudenhammer , D. , Baum , E. , Peterson , B. , Böhm , B. et al. Volumetric Intake Flow Measurements of an IC Engine Using Magnetic Resonance Velocimetry Experiments in Fluids 55 5 1724 2014 10.1007/s00348-014-1724-6
- Lucchini , T. , Paredi , D. , and Lacey , J. Topic 10: Evaporative Spray G (External, Plume Interaction, Flash Boiling) ECN6 Proceedings Valencia 2018
- Pope , S. An Explanation of the turbulEnt Round-Jet/Plane-Jet Anomaly AIAA Journal 16 279 281 02, 1978 10.2514/3.7521
- Paredi , D. , Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , Onorati , A. et al. Validation of a Comprehensive Computational Fluid Dynamics Methodology to Predict the Direct Injection Process of Gasoline Sprays using Spray G Experimental Data International Journal of Engine Research 21 1 199 216 2020 10.1177/1468087419868020
- Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Onorati , A. , Bonandrini , G. et al. Development of a cfd Approach to Model Fuel-Air Mixing in Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0146 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0146
- Lucchini , T. , Della Torre , A. , D’Errico , G. , Montenegro , G. et al. Automatic Mesh Generation for CFD Simulations of Direct-Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0376 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0376
- Paredi , D. , Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Onorati , A. et al. Gas Exchange and Injection Modeling of an Advanced Natural Gas Engine for Heavy Duty Applications SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0026 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0026
- Amsden , A. , O’Rourke , P. , and Butler , T. 1989
- Reitz , R. Modeling Atomization Processes In High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays Atomization and Spray Technology 3 309 337 1987
- Baumgarten , C. Mixture Formation in Internal Combustion Engines Berlin Heidelberg Springer-Verlag 2006 10.1007/3-540-30836-9
- Bai , C. and Gosman , A. Mathematical Modelling of Wall Films Formed by Impinging Sprays SAE Technical Paper 960626 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960626
- Kolpakov , A. , Romanov , K. , and Titova , E. Calculation of the Rebound Condition for Colliding Drops of Sharply Different Sizes Kolloidn. Zh 47 953 1985
- Sphicas , P. , Pickett , L. , Skeen , S. , Frank , J. et al. A Comparison of Experimental and Modeled Velocity in Gasoline Direct-Injection Sprays with Plume Interaction and Collapse SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0837
- Baum , E. , Peterson , B. , Böhm , B. , and Dreizler , A. On the Validation of LES Applied to Internal Combustion Engine Flows: Part 1: Comprehensive Experimental Database Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 92 1 269 297 2014 10.1007/s10494-013-9468-6
- Yang , X. , Keum , S. , and Kuo , T.-W. Effect of Valve Opening/Closing Setup on Computational Fluid Dynamics Prediction of Engine Flows Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 138 8 March 2016 10.1115/1.4032342
- Huh , K. , Chang , I.-P. , and Martin , J. A Comparison of Boundary Layer Treatments for Heat Transfer in IC Engines SAE Transactions 1990 https://doi.org./10.4271/900252
- Freudenhammer , D. , Peterson , B. , Ding , C.-P. , Boehm , B. et al. The Influence of Cylinder Head Geometry Variations on the Volumetric Intake Flow Captured by Magnetic Resonance Velocimetry SAE International Journal of Engines 8 4 1826 1836 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1697
- Scarcelli , R. , Wallner , T. , Obermair , H. , Salazar , V. et al. CFD and Optical Investigations of Fluid Dynamics and Mixture Formation in a DI-H2 ICE ASME 2010
- Geschwindner , C. , Kranz , P. , Welch , C. , Schmidt , M. et al. Analysis of the Interaction of Spray G and In-Cylinder Flow in Two Optical Engines for Late Gasoline Direct Injection International Journal of Engine Research October 2019 10.1177/1468087419881535