This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of Diesel-Spray-Orientated Piston Bowls on Natural Gas and Diesel Dual Fuel Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Low combustion efficiency and high hydrocarbon emissions at low loads are key issues of natural gas and diesel (NG-diesel) dual fuel engines. For better engine performance, two diesel-spray-orientated (DSO) bowls were developed based on the existing diesel injector of a heavy-duty diesel engine with the purpose of placing more combustible natural gas/air mixture around the diesel spray jets. A protrusion-ring was designed at the rim of the piston bowl to enhance the in-cylinder flame propagation. Numerical simulations were conducted for a whole engine cycle at engine speed of 1200 r/min and indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) of 0.6 MPa. Extended coherent flame model 3 zones (ECFM-3Z) combustion model with built-in soot emissions model was employed. Simulation results of the original piston bowl agreed well with the experimental data, including in-cylinder pressure and heat released rate (HRR), as well as soot and methane emissions. Turbulence kinetic energy, IMEP and methane emissions of the DSO piston geometries were compared with that of the original piston geometry. The results showed that both in-cylinder pressure and heat release rate of both DSO piston geometries increased due to higher turbulence kinetic energy comparing to the original piston geometry while methane emissions significantly decreased. Methane combustion with the DSO piston geometries tended to occur far away from the piston center compared to that with the original piston design at the same crank angle due to the protrusion-ring at the rim of piston bowl. Overall, the methane combustion with the DSO pistons was enhanced in the whole combustion chamber, which led to improved combustion efficiency and lower methane emissions.
CitationShen, Z., Wang, X., Zhao, H., Shen, Y. et al., "Numerical Investigation of Diesel-Spray-Orientated Piston Bowls on Natural Gas and Diesel Dual Fuel Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0311, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0311.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Chen, H., He, J., and Zhong, X. , “Engine Combustion and Emission Fuelled with Natural Gas: A Review,” J. Energy Inst 92(4):1123-1136, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.joei.2018.06.005.
- Wang, P., Li, Y., Duan, X., Liu, J., et al. , “Experimental Investigation of the Effects of CR, Hydrogen Addition Strategies on Performance, Energy and Exergy Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty NGSI Engine Fueled with 99% Methane Content,” Fuel, 259: UNSP 116212, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2019.116212.
- Napolitano, P., Fraioli, V., Guido, C., Beatrice, C. , “Assessment of Optimized Calibrations in Minimizing GHG Emissions from a Dual Fuel NG/Diesel Automotive Engine,” Fuel, 258: UNSP 115997, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2019.115997.
- Shu, J., Fu, J., Liu, J., Zhang, L. et al. , “Experimental and Computational Study on the Effects of Injection Timing on Thermodynamics, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Natural Gas (NG)-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine at Low Speed and Low Load,” Energ Convers Manage 160:426-438, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2018.01.047.
- Yousefi, A., Birouk, M., and Guo, H. , “An Experimental and Numerical Study of the Effect of Diesel Injection Timing on Natural Gas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Combustion at Low Load,” Fuel 203:642-657, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.05.009.
- Yousefi, A., Guo, H., and Birouk, M. , “Effect of Diesel Injection Timing on the Combustion of Natural Gas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine at Low-High Load and Low-High Speed Conditions,” Fuel 235:838-846, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2018.08.064.
- Yousefi, A., Guo, H., Birouk, M., and Liko, B. , “On Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Thermal Efficiency of Natural Gas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Load Conditions: Coupled Effect of Injector Rail Pressure and Split Injection,” Appl Energ 242:216-231, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.03.093.
- Huang, H., Zhu, Z., Chen, Y., Chen, Y. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of Multiple Injection Effects on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine,” Energ Convers Manage t 183:84-96, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.12.110.
- Park, H., Shim, F., and Bae, C. , “Improvement of Combustion and Emissions with Exhaust Gas Recirculation in a Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine at Low Load Operations,” Fuel 235:763-774, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2018.08.045.
- Rahnama, P., Paykani, A., and Reitz, R. , “A Numerical Study of the Effects of Using Hydrogen, Reformer Gas and Nitrogen on Combustion, Emissions and Load Limits of a Heavy Duty Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine,” Appl Energ 193:182-198, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.02.023.
- Salahi, M., Esfahanian, V., Gharehghani, A., and Mirsalim, M. , “Investigating the Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion Strategy in a Natural Gas/Diesel Fueled Engine with a Pre-Chamber,” Energ Convers Manage 132:40-53, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.11.019.
- Khatamnejad, H., Khalilarya, S., Jafarmadar, S., Mirsalim, M. et al. , “Influence of Blend Ratio and Injection Parameters on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Natural Gas-Diesel RCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0083 , 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0083.
- Liu, J., Wang, J., and Zhao, H. , “Optimization of the Injection Parameters and Combustion Chamber Geometries of a Diesel/Natural Gas RCCI Engine,” Energy 164:837-852, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.09.064.
- Ansari, E., Shahbakhti, M., and Naber, J. , “Optimization of Performance and Operational Cost for a Dual Mode Diesel-Natural Gas RCCI and Diesel Combustion Engine,” Appl Energ 231:549-561, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.09.040.
- Rahnama, P., Paykani, A., Bordbar, V., and Reitz, R. , “A Numerical Study of the Effects of Reformer Gas Composition on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine Enriched with Reformer Gas,” Fuel 209:742-753, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.07.103.
- Park, H., Shim, E., and Bae, C. , “Expansion of Low-Load Operating Range by Mixture Stratification in a Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” Energ Convers Manage 194:186-198, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2019.04.085.
- Kakoee, A., Bakhshan, Y., Aval, S., and Gharehghani, A. , “An Improvement of a Lean Burning Condition of Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine with a Pre-Chamber by Using Hydrogen,” Energ Convers Manage. 166:489-499, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.04.063.
- Kakaee, A., Babak, A., and Paykani, P. , “Effects of Piston Bowl Geometry on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine,” Appl Therm Eng. 102:1462-1472, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.03.162.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. , “Analysis of Two-Stage Natural-Gas Lean Combustion Inside a Diesel Geometry,” Appl Therm Eng. 160:114116, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.114116.
- Dempsey, A., Ryan, W., and Reitz, R. , “Effect of Piston Bowl Geometry on Dual Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) in a Light-Duty Engine Operated with Gasoline/Diesel and Methanol/Diesel,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0264 , 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0264.
- Nayak, S. and Mishra, P. , “Achieving High Performance and Low Emission in a Dual Fuel Operated Engine with Varied Injection Parameters and Combustion Chamber Shapes,” Energ Convers Manage 180:1-24, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.10.0915.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., and Wang, Z. , “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Combustion Process at Low Loads of a Diesel Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine,” Energy 94:728-741, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.11.052.
- Tay, K., Yang, W., Zhao, F., Yu, W. et al. , “Numerical Investigation on the Combined Effects of Varying Piston Bowl Geometries and Ramp Injection Rate-Shapes on the Combustion Characteristics of a Kerosene-Diesel Fueled Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine,” Energ Convers Manage 136:1-10, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.12.079.
- Benajes, J., Pastor, J., Garcia, A., and Monsalve-Serrano, J. , “An Experimental Investigation on the Influence of Piston Bowl Geometry on RCCI Performance and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Engine,” Energ Convers Manage 103:1019-1030, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.047.
- Benajes, J., GarcíaJosé, A., Pastor, M., and Monsalve-Serrano, J. , “Effects of Piston Bowl Geometry on Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Heat Transfer and Combustion Losses at Different Engine Loads,” Energy 98:64-77, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.01.014.
- Lee, S. and Park, S. , “Optimization of the Piston Bowl Geometry and the Operating Conditions of a Gasoline-Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine Based on a Compression Ignition Engine,” Energy 121:433-448, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.01.026.
- Soni, D. and Gupta, R. , “Numerical Analysis of Flow Dynamics for Two Piston Bowl Designs at Different Spray Angles,” J Clean Prod 149:723-734, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.02.142.
- Nayak, S. and Mishra, P. , “Combustion Characteristics, Performances and Emissions of a Biodiesel-Producer Gas Dual Fuel Engine with Varied Combustor Geometry,” Energy 168:585-600, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2018.11.116.
- Dimitriou, P., Wang, W., and Peng, Z. , “A Piston Geometry and Nozzle Spray Angle Investigation in a DI Diesel Engine by Quantifying the Air-Fuel Mixture,” Int J. Spray Combust Dynamics 7(1):1-24, 2015, doi:10.1260/1756-8222.214.171.124.
- Zha, K., Busch, S., Warey, A., Peterson, R. et al. , “A Study of Piston Geometry Effects on Late-Stage Combustion in a Light-Duty Optical Diesel Engine Using Combustion Image Velocimetry,” SAE Int. J. Engines. 11(6):783-804, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0230.
- Kakaee, A., Nasiri-Toosi, A., Partovi, B., and Paykani, A. , “Effects of Piston Bowl Geometry on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine,” Appl Therm Eng. 102:1462-1472, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.03.162.
- Ravi, K., Bhasker, J., Alexander, J., and Porpatham, E. , “CFD Study and Experimental Investigation of Piston Geometry Induced In-Cylinder Charge Motion on LPG Fuelled Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engine,” Fuel 213:1-11, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.10.047.
- Prasad, B., Sharma, C., Anand, T., and Ravikrishna, R. , “High Swirl-Inducing Piston Bowls in Small Diesel Engines for Emission Reduction,” Appl Energ 88(7):2355-2367, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.12.068.
- Sapit, M., Razali, A., Mohammed, M., Hushim, A., et al. , “Comparison On Piston Bowl Shape Effect To Diesel Spray Development,” in International Research and Innovation Summit (IRIS2017), Melaka, Malaysia, May 06-072017, 2017, 226, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/226/1/012150.
- Gafoor, C. and Gupta, R. , “Numerical Investigation of Piston Bowl Geometry and Swirl Ratio on Emission from Diesel Engines,” Energ Convers Manage 101:541-551, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.06.007.
- Liu, Z., Zhou, L., Liu, B., Zhao, W., et al. , “Effects of Equivalence Ratio and Pilot Fuel Mass on Ignition/Extinction and Pressure Oscillation in a Methane/Diesel Engine with Pre-Chamber,” Appl Therm Eng. 158: UNSP 113777, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.113777.
- May, I.A. , “An Experimental Investigation of Lean-Burn Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” Doctor of Philosophy thesis, Brunel, 2018.
- Yakhot, V. and Orszag, S.A. , “Renormalized Group Analysis of Turbulence: I. Basic Theory,” Journal of Scientific Computing 1:3-51, 1986, http://doi.org/10.1007/BF01061452.
- Beard, P., Colin, O., and Miche, M. , “Improved Modelling of DI Diesel Engines Using Sub-Grid Descriptions of Spray and Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0008 , 2003, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0008.
- Sun, Y. , “Diesel Combustion Optimization and Emissions Reduction Using Adaptive Injection Strategies (AIS) with Improved Numerical Models,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007.