This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Nozzle Opening Pressure, Fuel Injection Timing and Compression Ratio on the Performance of Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Biodiesel-Diesel-Butanol Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Biodiesel from vegetable waste can be utilized as fuel for compression ignition engine. This experimental study used biodiesel extracted from the cauliflower outer leaves and butanol from vegetable waste as property enhancer to fuel the diesel engine. This study consists of two stages: Solubility and properties test of various proportions of diesel biodiesel butanol blends to obtain an optimal fuel blend that possesses closer properties to that of diesel; followed by testing the optimal blend in a modified engine for nozzle opening pressure (180, 190, 200 and 210 bar), fuel injection timing (23, 26, 29 and 320 before top dead centre) and compression ratio (16: 1, 17.5:1, 19:1 and 20.5:1). The optimal level of these parameters was attained using L16 orthogonal array and Taguchi method. Test results showed that the blend containing 40% biodiesel 20% diesel and 40% butanol can be used as fuel for diesel engine. The diesel engine was operated under 210 bar of nozzle opening pressure, 260before top dead center of fuel injection timing and 19:1 of compression ratio. This optimal blend produced closer brake thermal efficiency, in-cylinder peak pressure, peak heat release rate, ignition delay, and combustion duration which were found to be similar compared to that of diesel (above 40% of rated power). The emissions produced by this blend were found lower compared to that of diesel operated at higher brake power condition (above 50% of rated power). This study enables to utilize the waste vegetables and renewable resources to fuel diesel engine and replacing the diesel to a certain extent.
CitationB, P., "Influence of Nozzle Opening Pressure, Fuel Injection Timing and Compression Ratio on the Performance of Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Biodiesel-Diesel-Butanol Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0299, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0299.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Koul, R., Kumar, N., and Singh, R.C. , “A Review on the Production and Physicochemical Properties of Renewable Diesel and its Comparison with Biodiesel,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 1-21, 2019.
- Ono, M., Nakajima, M., Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., and Iijima, A. , “Influence of Various Biodiesel Fuels on Diesel Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0100, 2009.
- Tan, P.-Q., Hu, Z.-Y., Lou, D.-M., and Li, B. , “Particle Number and Size Distribution from a Diesel Engine with Jatropha Biodiesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2726, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2726.
- Knothe, G. , “A Technical Evaluation of Biodiesel from Vegetable Oils vs. Algae. Will Algae-Derived Biodiesel Perform?” Green Chemistry 13(11):3048-30e65, 2011.
- Srifa, A., Faungnawakij, K., Itthibenchapong, V., Viriya-Empikul, N. et al. , “Production of Bio-Hydrogenated Diesel by Catalytic Hydrotreating of Palm Oil over NiMoS2/γ-Al2O3 Catalyst,” Bioresource Technology 158:81-90, 2014.
- Prabakaran, B. and Udhoji, A. , “Experimental Investigation into Effects of Addition of Zinc Oxide on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel-Biodiesel-Ethanol Blends in CI Engine,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 55(4):3355-3362, 2016.
- Khedkar, M.A., Nimbalkar, P.R., Chavan, P.V., Chendake, Y.J., and Bankar, S.B. , “Cauliflower Waste Utilization for Sustainable Biobutanol Production: Revelation of Drying Kinetics and Bioprocess Development,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 40(10):1493-1506, 2017.
- Zoldy, M., Hollo, A., and Thernesz, A. , “Butanol as a Diesel Extender Option for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0481, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0481.
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Giakoumis, E.G., Papagiannakis, R.G., and Kyritsis, D.C. , “Influence of Properties of Various Common Bio-Fuels on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of High-Speed DI (Direct Injection) Diesel Engine: Vegetable Oil, Bio-Diesel, Ethanol, N-Butanol, Diethyl Ether,” Energy 73:354-366, 2014.
- Kumar, S., Cho, J.H., Park, J., and Moon, I. , “Advances in Diesel-Alcohol Blends and Their Effects on the Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engines,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 22:46-72, 2013.
- Balasubramanian, P. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance of Di Diesel Engine Fueled with Diesel Butanol Blends by Modification of Engine Operating Parameters,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0112, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0112.
- Balasubramanian, P. , “Experimental Investigation on Performance of a Variable Compression Ratio Engine Fueled with Diesel Butanol Blends with Nano Additives,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0157, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0157.
- Gao, T., Reader, G., Tjong, J., and Zheng, M. , “Energy Efficiency Comparison between Butanol and Ethanol Combustion with Diesel Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0859, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0859.
- Singh, A., Kuila, A., Adak, S., Bishai, M., and Banerjee, R. , “Utilization of Vegetable Wastes for Bioenergy Generation,” Agricultural Research 1(3):213-222, 2012.
- Lohri, C.R., Diener, S., Zabaleta, I., Mertenat, A., and Zurbrügg, C. , “Treatment Technologies for Urban Solid Biowaste to Create Value Products: A Review with Focus on Low-and Middle-Income Settings,” Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology 16(1):81-130, 2017.
- Churkunti, P., Mattson, J.M.S., and Depcik, C. , “Influence of Fuel Injection Pressure and Biodiesel upon NO x Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0877, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0877.
- Wen, T., Ebeling, G., Marques, M.A.O., and Streck, R. , “Injection Pressure Influence on Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 921488, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921488.
- Xu, M., Nishida, K., and Hiroyasu, H. , “A Practical Calculation Method for Injection Pressure and Spray Penetration in Diesel Engines,” SAE Transactions 1169-1195, 1992.
- Pucilowski, M., Jangi, M., Shamun, S., Tuner, M., and Bai, X.-S. , “The Effect of Injection Pressure on the NOx Emission Rates in a Heavy-Duty DICI Engine Running on Methanol,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2194, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2194.
- Kapilan, N., Babu, T.P.A., Janardhan, K., and Reddy, R.P. , “Effect of Injector Opening Pressure on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Mahua Oil Methyl Ester in a Dl Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2901, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2901.
- Hillion, M., Buhlbuck, H., Chauvin, J., and Petit, N. , “Combustion Control of Diesel Engines Using Injection Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0367, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0367.
- Kweon, C.-B., Okada, S., Stetter, J.C., Christenson, C.G. et al. , “Effect of Injection Timing on Detailed Chemical Composition and Participate Size Distributions of Diesel Exhaust,” SAE Transactions 991-1005, 2003.
- Feng, X., Huo, M., Lee, C.-F., and Liu, H. , “The Effects of EGR and Injection Timing on the Engine Combustion and Emission Performances Fueled by Butanol-Diesel Blends,” SAE International Journal of Engines 5(3):794-811, 2012.
- Manieniyan, V. and Sivaprakasam, S. , “Investigation of Diesel Engine Using Bio-Diesel (Methyl Ester of Jatropha Oil) for Various Injection Timing and Injection Pressure,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1577, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1577.
- Kouremenos, D.A., Hountalas, D.T., Binder, K.B., Raab, A., and Schnabel, M.H. , “Using Advanced Injection Timing and EGR to Improve DI Diesel Engine Efficiency at Acceptable NO and Soot Levels,” SAE Transactions 55-68, 2001.
- Funayama, Y., Nakajima, H., and Shimokawa, K. , “A Study on the Effects of a Higher Compression Ratio in the Combustion Chamber on Diesel Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0722, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0722.
- Yamada, H. and Yoshida, K. , “An Effect of Bio Diesel Fuel for Low Compression Ratio Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0088, 2017.
- Holman, J.P. , Experimental Methods for Engineers Seventh Edition (New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill Publication, 2010).