This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of the Effects of Port Water Injection Timing on Performance and Emissions in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Port water injection is considered as a promising strategy to further improve the combustion performance of internal combustion engines for its benefit in knock resistance by reducing the cylinder temperature. A thorough investigation of the port water injection technique is required to fully understand its effects on the engine combustion process. This study explores the potential of the port water injection technique in improving the performance of a turbo charged Gasoline Direct Injection engine. A 3D computational fluid dynamics model is applied to simulate the in-cylinder mixing and combustion for this engine both with and without water injection. Different water injection timings are investigated and it is found that the injection timing greatly effects the mass of water which enters the combustion chamber, both in liquid and vapor form. Comparison have been given between the original engine and the water injection one and the results show that the water injection can reduce the cylinder temperature both in the compressing and combustion strokes. The pressure oscillation is also suppressed which indicates a better knocking resistance for water injection strategy. An optimized injection timings could be found for a particular load condition and also lead to a better combustion performance and emissions.
CitationYin, P., Li, X., Hung, D., Fan, Y. et al., "Numerical Investigation of the Effects of Port Water Injection Timing on Performance and Emissions in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0287, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0287.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- EC 2017a , “Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1347,” Official Journal of the European Union, July 24, 2017, available at: http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2017/1347/oj.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” 1ª Edição. Estados Unidos, 1988.
- Zhen, X., Yang, W., Xu, S., Zhu, Y. et al. , “The Engine Knock Analysis-An Overview,” Applied Energy 92:628-636, 2012.
- Chun, K.M. and Heywood, J.B. , “Characterization of Knock in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 890156, 1989, https://doi.org.10.4271/890156.
- Rohit, A., Satpathy, S., Choi, J., Hoard, J. et al. , “Literature Survey of Water Injection Benefits on Boosted Spark Ignited Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0658, 2017, https://doi.org.10.4271/2017-01-0658.
- Rothrock, A.M., Krsek, A. Jr, and Jones, A.W. , “The Induction of Water to the Inlet Air as a Means of Internal Cooling in Aircraft-Engine Cylinders,” No. NACA-TR-756, National Aeronautics and Space Admin Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, 1943.
- Harrington, J.A. , “Water Addition to Gasoline-Effect on Combustion, Emissions, Performance, and Knock,” SAE Transactions 1226-1251, 1982.
- Zhu, S., Hu, B., Akehurst, S., Copeland, C. et al. , “A Review of Water Injection Applied on the Internal Combustion Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 184:139-158, 2019.
- Kim, J., Park, H., Bae, C., Choi, M., and Kwak, Y. , “Effects of Water Direct Injection on the Torque Enhancement and Fuel Consumption Reduction of a Gasoline Engine Under High-Load Conditions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(7):795-808, 2016.
- Netzer, C., Franken, T., Seidel, L., Lehtiniemi, H. et al. , “Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0200, 2018, https://doi.org.10.4271/2018-01-0200.
- Falfari, S., Bianchi, G.M., Cazzoli, G., Ricci, M., and Forte, C. , “Water Injection Applicability to Gasoline Engines: Thermodynamic Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0266, 2019, https://doi.org.10.4271/2019-01-0266.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Baumgarten, H., and Dohmen, J. , “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(1):86-96, 2016.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Seibel, J., Balazs, A. et al. , “Evaluation of the Potential of Water Injection for Gasoline Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2500-2512, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0149.
- Taghavifar, H., Anvari, S., and Parvishi, A. , “Benchmarking of Water Injection in a Hydrogen-Fueled Diesel Engine to Reduce Emissions,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42(16), 2017.
- Boldaji, R., Mozhgan, A.S., Mamalis, S., and Lawler, B. , “Computational Fluid Dynamics Investigations of the Effect of Water Injection Timing on Thermal Stratification and Heat Release in Thermally Stratified Compression Ignition Combustion,” International Journal of Engine Research 20(5):555-569, 2019.
- Iacobacci, A., Marchitto, L., and Valentino, G. , “Water Injection to Enhance Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine Under High Load Condition,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(3):928-937, 2017.
- Tornatore, C., Siano, D., Marchitto, L., Iacobacci, A. et al. , “Water Injection: a Technology to Improve Performance and Emissions of Downsized Turbocharged Spark Ignited Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(5):2319-2329, 2017.
- De Bellis, V., Bozza, F., Teodosio, L., and Valentino, G. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of the Water Injection to Improve the Fuel Economy of a Small Size Turbocharged SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):550-561, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0540.
- Wu, J., Kang, Z., Deng, J., Wu, Z. et al. , “Numerical Study of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Characteristics of Combustion and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0562, 2019, https://doi.org.10.4271/2019-01-0562.
- Berni, F., Breda, S., Lugli, M., and Cantore, G. , “A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection to Increase Knock Resistance and Reduce Fuel Consumption in Highly Downsized GDI Engines,” Energy Procedia 81:826-835, 2015.
- Worm, J. , “The Impact of Water Injection on Spark Ignition Engine Performance under High Load Operation,” 2017.
- Converge CFD , https://convergecfd.com/, 2018.
- Liu, Y.-D., Jia, M., Xie, M.-Z., and Pang, B. , “Enhancement on a Skeletal Kinetic Model for Primary Reference Fuel Oxidation by Using a Semidecoupling Methodology,” Energy & Fuels 26(12):7069-7083, 2012.
- Amsden, A.A., Butler, T.D., and O’Rourke, P.J. , “The KIVA-II Computer Program for Transient Multidimensional Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 872072, 1987, https://doi.org.10.4271/872072.
- O’Rourke, P.J. and Amsden, A.A. , “A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for the KIVA-3 Wall Film Model,” SAE Transactions 281-298, 2000.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw Hill, Inc., 1988).