This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Multistage Hybrid Powertrains Using Multistage Mixed-Integer Trajectory Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasingly complex hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) powertrains are being developed to address the growing stringency of emissions regulations, fuel economy standards and drivability/performance requirements. Early in their design process, it is desirable to rapidly evaluate powertrain architectures and components using simulation models before committing to costly physical prototyping. However, HEV powertrains have multiple controlled degrees of freedom, such as power split, engine on/off and gear selection, the operation of which needs to be pre-determined before a meaningful performance evaluation can be carried out.
In this paper, we describe a multistage mixed integer trajectory optimization methodology that allows design engineers to rapidly perform performance analyses of complex powertrains. The methodology can generate optimal input signals for both continuous (engine torque or motor power) and discrete (engine on/off or gear selection) degrees of freedom for a given scenario. Moreover, the method is computationally efficient; it exploits characteristics of powertrain control problems, builds on existing nonlinear programming solvers and is highly parallelizable. We illustrate the utility of this technique by applying it to a Toyota multistage hybrid powertrain of the type used in 2018 LC500h vehicles. We consider several driving scenarios and perform a jerk/acceleration time tradeoff study. Our results indicate that the proposed methodology is effective for performing these kinds of analyses.
CitationLi, H., Liao-McPherson, D., Kolmanovsky, I., Kim, S. et al., "Analysis of Multistage Hybrid Powertrains Using Multistage Mixed-Integer Trajectory Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0274, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0274.
- Kolmanovsky , I.V. and Stefanopoulou , A.G. Optimal Control Techniques for Assessing Feasibility and Defining Subsystem Level Requirements: An Automotive Case Study IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 9 3 524 534 2001
- Patterson , M.A. and Rao , A.V. GPOPS-II: A MATLAB Software for Solving Multiple-Phase Optimal Control Problems Using HP-Adaptive Gaussian Quadrature Collocation Methods and Sparse Nonlinear Programming ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (TOMS) 41 1 1 2014
- Koenemann , J. , Licitra , G. , Alp , M. , and Diehl , M. 2017
- Tedrake , R. and the Drake Development Team 2019
- Becerra , V.M. Solving Complex Optimal Control Problems at No Cost with PSOPT 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design 2010 1391 1396
- Wächter , A. and Biegler , L.T. On the Implementation of an Interior-Point Filter Line-Search Algorithm for Large-Scale Nonlinear Programming Mathematical Programming 106 1 25 57 2006
- Gill , P.E. , Murray , W. , and Saunders , M.A. SNOPT: An SQP Algorithm for Large-Scale Constrained Optimization SIAM Review 47 1 99 131 2005
- 2016 https://global.toyota/en/powertrain/ths/
- Zhu , F. and Antsaklis , P.J. Optimal Control of Hybrid Switched Systems: A Brief Survey Discrete Event Dynamic Systems 25 3 345 364 2015
- Wang , L. , Beydoun , A. , Cook , J. , Sun , J. et al. Optimal Hybrid Control with Applications to Automotive Powertrain Systems Control Using Logic-Based Switching 190 200 1997
- Xu , X. and Antsaklis , P.J. Optimal Control of Switched Systems: New Results and Open Problems Proceedings of the 2000 American Control Conference (ACC) 2000 4 2683 2687
- Xu , X. and Antsaklis , P.J. Optimal Control of Switched Systems Based on Parameterization of the Switching Instants IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 49 1 2 16 2004
- Caldwell , T.M. and Murphey , T.D. Switching Mode Generation and Optimal Estimation with Application to Skid-Steering Automatica 47 1 50 64 2011
- Axelsson , H. , Wardi , Y. , Egerstedt , M. , and Verriest , E.I. Gradient Descent Approach to Optimal Mode Scheduling in Hybrid Dynamical Systems Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 136 2 167 186 2008
- Gonzalez , H. , Vasudevan , R. , Kamgarpour , M. , Shankar Sastry , S. et al. A Descent Algorithm for the Optimal Control of Constrained Nonlinear Switched Dynamical Systems Proceedings of the 13th ACM International Conference on Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control 2010 51 60
- Alamir , M. and Attia , S.-A. On Solving Optimal Control Problems for Switched Hybrid Nonlinear Systems by Strong Variations Algorithms Proceedings of 6th IFAC Symposium on Nonlinear Control Systems 2004 558 563
- Solmaz , S. , Shorten , R. , Wulff , K. , and Cairbre , F.O. A Design Methodology for Switched Discrete Time Linear Systems with Applications to Automotive Roll Dynamics Control Automatica 44 9 2358 2363 2008
- Van Berkel , K. , Hofman , T. , Vroemen , B. , and Steinbuch , M. Optimal Control of a Mechanical Hybrid Powertrain IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61 2 485 497 2011
- Amari , R. , Alamir , M. , and Tona , P. Unified MPC Strategy for Idle-Speed Control, Vehicle Start-Up and Gearing Applied to an Automated Manual Transmission IFAC Proceedings 41 2 7079 7085 2008
- Amari , R. , Tona , P. , and Alamir , M. Experimental Evaluation of a Hybrid MPC Strategy for Vehicle Start-Up with an Automated Manual Transmission 2009 European Control Conference (ECC) 2009 4271 4277
- Andersson , J. , Åkesson , J. , and Diehl , M. CasADi: A Symbolic Package for Automatic Differentiation and Optimal Control Recent Advances in Algorithmic Differentiation Berlin Springer 2012 297 307