This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Sheet Metal Joining with Self-Piercing Riveting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Self-piercing riveting (SPR) has been used in production to join sheet materials since the early 1990s. A large amount of experimental trial work was required in order to determine an appropriate combination of rivet and anvil design to fulfill the required joint parameters. The presented study is describing the methodology of SPR joint design based on numerical simulation and experimental methods of defining required simulation input parameters. The required inputs are the stress-strain curves of sheet materials and rivets for the range of strains taking place in the SPR joining process, parameters required for a fracture model for all involved materials, and friction parameters for all interfaces of SPR process. In the current study, the normalized Cockroft-Latham fracture criterion was used for predicting fracture. Custom hole and tube expansion tests were used for predicting fracture of the riveted materials and the rivet, respectively. In order to define the flow curve for riveted sheets, the multistep rolling-tensile testing procedure was used. The multistep cylinder compression test was employed to define the flow curve for the rivet material. Pin-on-disk testing procedure was employed to define coefficients of friction.
CitationZdravkovic, S. and Golovashchenko, S., "Analysis of Sheet Metal Joining with Self-Piercing Riveting," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0223, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0223.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Li, D., Chrysanthou, A., Patel, I., and Williams, G., “Self-Piercing Riveting: A Review,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2017, doi:10/1007/s00170-017-0156-x.
- Mori, K., Abe, Y., and Kato, T., “Self-Piercing Riveting of Multiple Steel and Aluminum Alloy Sheets,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 214:2001-2008, 2017.
- Li, D., Han, L., Lu, Z., Thornton, M., and Shergold, M., “Influence of Die Profiles and Cracks on Joint Buttons on the Joint Quality and Mechanical Strength of High Strength Aluminum Alloy Joint,” Advanced Materials Research 548:398-405, 2012.
- Mori, K., Kato, T., Abe, Y., and Ravshanbeck, Y., “Plastic Joining of Ultra High Strength Steel and Aluminum Alloy Sheets by Self Piercing Rivet,” Annals of the CIRP 55, 2006.
- He, X., Gu, F., and Ball, A., “Recent Development in Finite Element Analysis of Self-Piercing Riveted Joint,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 58:643-649, 2012.
- Abe, Y., Kato, T., and Mori, K., “Self-Piercing Riveting of High Tensile Strength Steel and Aluminum Using Conventional Rivet and Die,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209:3914-3922, 2009.
- Carandente, M., Dashwood, R.J., Masters, I.G., and Han, L., “Improvements of the Numerical Simulation of the SPR Process Using Thermo-Mechanical Finite Element Analysis,” Journal of Materials Processing Technologies 236:148-161, 2016.
- Koҫ, M., Billur, E., and Cora, Ö.N., “An Experimental Study on the Comparative Assessment of Hydraulic Bulge Test Analysis Methods,” Materials and Design 32:272-281, 2011.
- Reis, L.C., Oliveira, M.C., Santos, A.D., and Fernandes, J.V., “On the Determination of the Work Hardening Curve Using Bulge Test,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 105:158-181, 2016.
- Altan, T. and Tekkaya, E., “Sheet Metal Forming: Fundamentals,” ASM:222-230, 2012.
- Sevillano, J.G., van Houtte, P., Aernoudt, E., “Large Strain Work Hardening and Textures,” Progress in Materials Science 25:69-412, 1981.
- Ford, H., “Researches into the Deformation of Metals by Cold Rolling,” Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers 159:115-143, 1948.
- Bao, Y. and Wierzbicki, T., “On Fracture Locus in the Equivalent Strain and Stress Triaxiality Space,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 46:81-98, 2004.
- Cacko, R., “Review of Different Material Separation Criteria in Numerical Modeling of the Self-Piercing Riveting Process-SPR,” Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 8:21-30, 2008.
- Han, L., Young, K.W., Chrysanthou, A., and O’Sullivan, J.M., “The Effect of Pre-Straining on Mechanical Behavior of Self-Pierced Riveted Aluminum Alloy Sheets,” Materials and Design 27:1108-1113, 2006.
- Xu, Y., “A Close Look at Self-Piercing Riveting-Computer Simulation is a Noteworthy Alternative to Physical Testing of Joints,” The fabricator N6, 2006.
- Khezri, R.E., Sjõstrõm, E., Melander, A., “Self-Piercing Riveting of High Strength Steel,” Swedish Institute for Metal Research, Report number IM-2000-554, 2000.
- Kato, T., Abe, Y., and Mori, K., “Finite Element Simulation of Self-Piercing Riveting of Three Aluminum Alloy Sheets,” Key Engineering Materials 340-341:1461-1466, 2007.
- Taupin, E., Breitling, J., Wu, W.T., and Altan, T., “Material Fracture and Burr Formation in Blanking Results of FEM Simulation and Comparison with Experiments,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 59:68-78, 1996.
- Haque, R., “Quality of Self-Piercing Riveting (SPR) Joint from Cross-Sectional Perspective: A Review,” Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 18:83-93, 2018.
- Davies, G., Materials for Automotive BodiesFirst Edition (USA: Elsevier, 2012), 264.
- ASTM Standard, “Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials,” West Conoshohocken, PA, Standard No. ASTM E8/E8M-09, 2011.
- Golovashchenko, S., Reinberg, N., Hassannejadasl, A., and Green, D.E., “Experimental Study of Hardening of 6xxx Aluminum Alloy and Its Effect Sheet Metal Stamping Operation,” Journal of Material Engineering and Performance 28:2465, 2019https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-019-03977-5.
- Clift, S.E., Hartley, P., Sturgess, C.E.N., and Rowe, G.E., “Fracture Prediction in Plastic Deformation Processes,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 32:1-17, 1990.
- Cockroft, M.G. and Latham, D.J., “Ductility and Workability of Metals,” Journal of the Institute of Metals 96:33-39, 1968.
- Kim, H., Yamanaka, M., and Altan, T., “Prediction and Elimination of Fracture in Cold Forgings Using FEM Simulations,” Transactions of NAMRI/SME 23:63-69, 1995.
- Hambli, R. and Reszka, M., “Fracture Criteria Identification Using an Inverse Technique Method in Blanking Experiment,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 44:1349-1361, 2002.
- Takuda, H., Mori, K., and Hatta, N., “The Application of Some Criteria for Ductile Fracture to the Prediction of Forming Limit of Sheet Metals,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 95:116-121, 1999.
- Oh, S.I., Chen, C.C., and Kobayashi, S., “Ductile Fracture in Axisymmetric Extrusion and Drawing,” Journal of Engineering for Industry 101:36-44, 1979.
- Testa, G., Bonora, N., Iannitti, G., Ruggiero, A., and Gentile, D., “Numerical Simulation of Self-Piercing Riveting Process (SPR) Using Continuum Damage Mechanics Modeling,” Frattura ed Integrita Strutturale 44:161-172, 2018, doi:10.3221/IGF-ESIS.44.13.
- Bonora, N., Iannitti, G., Testa, G., and Ruggiero, A., “Damage Mechanics Modeling of Material Separation in Self-Piercing Riveting (SPR) Process,” Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 1063 012153, 2018. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1063/1/012153.
- Golovashchenko, S., “Method of Measuring Localized Strains in Sheet Metal Stampings,” US Patent Application Publication No. US 2018/0335296 A1, 2018.
- Hönsch, F., Domitner, J., Sommitsch, C., Götzinger, B., and Kölz, M., “Numerical Simulation and Experimental Validation of Self-Piercing Riveting (SPR) of 6xxx Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications,” Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 1063, 2018, doi:1088/1742-6596/1/0120181.
- He, X., Xing, B., Zeng, K., Gu, F., and Ball, A., “Numerical and Experimental Investigations of Self-Piercing Riveting,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 69:715-721, 2013.
- Mucha, J., “A Study of Quality Parameters and Behavior of Self-Piercing Riveted Aluminum Sheets with Different Joining Conditions,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 57:323-333, 2011.
- Atzeni, E., Ippolito, R., and Sattineri, L., “FEM Modeling of Self-Piercing Riveted Joint,” Key Engineering Materials 344:655-662, 2007.
- Wagoner, R.H. and Chenot, J., Fundamentals of Metal Forming (John Willey and Sons, 1997), 251-253.