This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of Tightening Reliability of Bolted Joints Using Elliptical Confidence Limit in Calibrated Wrench Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The calibrated wrench method is used in the tightening of bolts in manufacturing industries in the case of a large amount of tightening work. It is important to apply a large initial clamping force to ensure tightening reliability and prevent self-loosening, fatigue breakage, and so forth. In this method, the clamping force of bolted joints is controlled using a torque wrench. However, since the clamping force is indirectly applied by a wrench, it varies greatly in the case of a large amount of tightening in a factory. Therefore, the calibrated wrench method is not so accurate from the viewpoint of clamping force control. It is conventionally thought that the distribution of the clamping force has the shape of a rhombus. When tightening torque and clamping force are considered to be two independent random variables, the clamping force is distributed within an elliptical confidence limit. Here, we show that the distribution of equivalent stress also has an elliptical confidence limit. Considering the permitted limit for working load stress on a bolted joint, the elliptical distribution has a larger margin to the yield point than the conventional rhombic distribution. Using this feature, we can set a higher target tightening torque than before. We show that a higher tightening torque and initial clamping force can be obtained with smaller variation than before. Finally, we establish a method for maintaining the tightening reliability that involves applying a large clamping force by increasing the target tightening torque using the elliptical confidence limit.
CitationHareyama, S., Manabe, K., and Kobayashi, S., "Improvement of Tightening Reliability of Bolted Joints Using Elliptical Confidence Limit in Calibrated Wrench Method," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0218, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0218.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Hareyama , S. and Kodama , S. A Study on Confidence Limit for Two Independent Probability Variables in Engineering Problems (Applications to Limit of Transmitted Torque in Disk Clutch and Bolt Axial Tension Control) JSME International Journal (SeriesIII) 33 2 256 262 1990
- Hareyama , S. , Manabe , K. , and Nakashima , M. Improving Tightening Reliability on Bolted Joints for Calibrated Wrench Method (an Analysis on Optimum Tightening Torque by Confidence Limit Ellipse) Proceedings of ASME, 2B: Advanced Manufacturing 2013 12
- Hareyama , S. and Manabe , K. Advantage of Elliptical Confidence Limit Method for Bolted Joint Tightening Reliability Proceedings of ASME, IMECE2015-50729 2015 10
- Hareyama , S. , Manabe , K. , Shimodaira , T. , and Naganawa , T. Experimental Study to Verify Elliptical Confidence Limit Method for Bolted Joint Tightening Proceedings of ASME 2016 9
- Hareyama , S. , Manabe , K. , Shimodaira , T. , and Hoshi , A. Working Load Analysis and Strength Estimation for Bolted Joints during Actual Machine Operation Proceedings of ASME 2014 10
- Hareyama , S. , Manabe , K. , and Kobayashi , S. Loosening Lifetime and Residual Clamping Force Prediction Method on Bolted Joints and Evaluation Criterion of Clamping Force Level for Prevention of Loosening Failure SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1111 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1111
- Bickford , J.H. An Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints Third CRC Press 1995 213 268
- Nassar , A.S. and Yang , X. Novel Formulation of the Tightening and Breakaway Torque Components in Threaded Fasteners Transactions of ASME, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 129 653 663 2007
- Amir , Y. , Govindarajan , S. , and Iyyanar , S. Bolted Joints Modeling Techniques, Analytical, Stochastic and FEA Comparison Proceedings of ASME, IMECE2012-85055 2012 12
- Kopfer , H. , Friedrich , C. , Agostinis , M.D. , and Croccolo , D. Friction Characteristics in Light Weight Design Focusing Bolted Joints Proceedings of the ASME, IMECE2012-85940 2012 8
- Bickford , J.H. Preventing Failure in Bolted Joints Part 1-Avoiding Assembly Errors Machine Design 50 18 100 104 1978
- Kawasaki , K. , Takahashi , A. , and Asai , M. The Control of Screw Fastening Torque and a Method for Checking It Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering 42 6 108 113 1976