This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Compensation Redundancy Control for Basic Force Boosting Failure of Electro-Booster Brake System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As a new brake-by-wire solution, the electro-booster (Ebooster) brake system can work with the electronic stability program (ESP) equipped in the real vehicle to realize various excellent functions such as basic force boosting (BFB), active braking and energy recovery, which is promoting the development of smart vehicles. Among them, the BFB is the function of Ebooster's servo force to assist the driver's brake pedal force establishing high-intensity braking pressure. After the BFB function failure of the Ebooster, it was not possible to provide sufficient brake pressure for the driver's normal braking, and eventually led to traffic accidents. In this paper, a compensation redundancy control strategy based on ESP is proposed for the BFB failure of the self-designed Ebooster. Firstly, introduced the working principle of Ebooster and ESP, and a suitable pressure-building circuit was selected for the dual brake actuator system; Secondly, after the BFB failure of Ebooster, the rule-based strategy of braking awareness recognition was designed. Thirdly, a layered closed-loop compensation control strategy is designed based on the ESP to restore the pressure building capacity of the hydraulic system. Finally, based on dSPACE products, a hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) experimental bench with dual brake actuators including ESP and Ebooster was built for algorithm verification. The HiL experiment results show that after the BFB failure of Ebooster, the designed compensation redundancy control algorithm can restore the Pressure-Volume (P-V) characteristics of the brake system just like Ebooster's conventional BFB mode, and improve vehicle driving safety.
CitationZhao, J., Chen, Z., Zhu, B., and Wu, J., "Research on Compensation Redundancy Control for Basic Force Boosting Failure of Electro-Booster Brake System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0216, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0216.
- Chen, Z., Jian, W., Jian, Z., Rui, H., Yang, C., and Zhang, Y. , “ABS Control Algorithm Based on Direct Slip Rate for Hybrid Brake System,” in Wcx World Congress Experience, 2018.
- “ Accurate Pressure Control Strategy of Electronic Stability Program Based on the Building Characteristics of High-Speed Switching Valve ,” ResearchGate, [Online], available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332157043_Accurate_Pressure_Control_Strategy_of_Electronic_Stability_Program_Based_on_the_Building_Characteristics_of_High-Speed_Switching_Valve, accessed Oct. 28, 2019.
- Ko, J., Ko, S., Son, H., Yoo, B. et al. , “Development of Brake System and Regenerative Braking Co-Operative Control Algorithm for Automatic Transmission-Based Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” Veh. Technol. IEEE Trans. On 64(2):431-440, 2015.
- Abeysiriwardhana, W. , “Simulation of Brake by Wire System with Dynamic Force Control,” in International Conference on Information & Automation for Sustainability, 2015.
- “ Regenerative Braking Pedal Decoupling Control for Hydraulic Brake System Equipped with an Electro-Mechanical Brake Booster ,” ResearchGate, [Online], available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332155713_Regenerative_Braking_Pedal_Decoupling_Control_for_Hydraulic_Brake_System_Equipped_with_an_Electro-Mechanical_Brake_Booster, accessed Oct. 28, 2019.
- Jian, Z., Huang, J., and Bing, Z. , “Modelling and Validation for an Electro-Hydraulic Braking System Equipped with the Electro-Mechanical Booster,” 1, 2018.
- Feigel, H.-J. , “Integrated Brake System without Compromises in Functionality,” Atz Worldw. 114(7-8):46-50, 2012.
- Oshima, T., Fujiki, N., Nakao, S., Kimura, T., and Ueno, K. , “Development of an Electrically Driven Intelligent Brake System,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):399-405, 2011.
- Wei, H., Lu, X., Yu, Z., and Li, H. , “Adaptive Cascade Optimum Braking Control Based on a Novel Mechatronic Booster,” in Brake Colloquium & Exhibition, 2017.
- Yong, J., Feng, G., Ding, N., and He, Y. , “Design and Validation of an Electro-Hydraulic Brake System Using Hardware-in-the-Loop Real-Time Simulation,” Int. J. Automot. Technol. 18(4):603-612, 2017.
- Todeschini, F., Corno, M., Panzani, G., Fiorenti, S., and Savaresi, S.M. , “Adaptive Cascade Control of a Brake-by-Wire Actuator for Sport Motorcycles,” IEEEASME Trans. Mechatron. 20(3):1310-1319, Jun. 2015.
- Todeschini, F., Formentin, S., Panzani, G., Corno, M. et al. , “Nonlinear Pressure Control for BBW Systems via Dead-Zone and Antiwindup Compensation,” IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 24(4):1419-1431, Jul. 2016.
- Line, C., Manzie, C., and Good, M.C. , “Electromechanical Brake Modeling and Control: From PI to MPC,” IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 16(3):446-457, 2008.
- Kim, J. and Choi, S.B. , “Design and Modeling of a Clutch Actuator System with Self-Energizing Mechanism,” IEEEASME Trans. Mechatron. 16(5):953-966, 2011.
- Liu, T., Yu, Z., Xiong, L., and Han, W. , “Anti-Lock Braking System Control Design on an Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Braking System,” SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn. Stab. NVH 1(2):298-306, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1578.
- Chen, P., Jian, W., Jian, Z., Rui, H., and Zhang, K. , “Design and Position Control of a Novel Electric Brake Booster,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 11(5):389-400, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0812.
- Chen, P., Jian, W., Jian, Z., Rui, H. et al. , “Design and Power Assisted Braking Control of a Novel Electromechanical Brake Booster,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 11(3):171-181, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0762.
- Zhao, M., Zhao, H., and Hong, C. , “A Dynamic-Decoupling Controller of Current for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor,” in Control & Decision Conference, 2017.