This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Autonomous Lane Change Control Using Proportional-Integral-Derivative Controller and Bicycle Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As advanced vehicle controls and autonomy become mainstream in the automotive industry, the need to employ traditional mathematical models and control strategies arises for the purpose of simulating autonomous vehicle handling maneuvers. This study focuses on lane change maneuvers for autonomous vehicles driving at low speeds. The lane change methodology uses PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller to command the steering wheel angle, based on the yaw motion and lateral displacement of the vehicle. The controller was developed and tested on a bicycle model of an electric vehicle (a Chevrolet Bolt 2017), with the implementation done in MATLAB/Simulink. This simple mathematical model was chosen in order to limit computational demands, while still being capable of simulating a smooth lane change maneuver under the direction of the car’s mission planning module at modest levels of lateral acceleration. The simulation indicated that the lane change control system performed well for low speeds and at moderate steering wheel angles. After the simulation phase, the model was converted to implementable vehicle code and integrated into a vehicle for on-road testing of obstacle avoidance. Physical validation of the control strategy showed that it can be used successfully to perform smooth lane changes in an autonomous driving environment.
CitationJoshi, A., Peters, D., and Bastiaan, J., "Autonomous Lane Change Control Using Proportional-Integral-Derivative Controller and Bicycle Model," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0215, 2020.
- Fitch, G., Lee, S., Klauer, S., Hankey, J., Sudweeks, J. et al. , “Analysis of Lane-Change Crashes and Near-Crashes,” Technical Report: National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations, 2009.
- Ho, M., Chan, P., and Rad, A. , “Lane Change Algorithm for Autonomous Vehicles via Virtual Curvature Method,” Journal of Advanced Transportation 43(1):47-70, 2009.
- Chandru, R., Selvaraj, Y., Brännström, M., Kianfar, R. et al. , “Safe Autonomous Lane Changes in Dense Traffic,” in IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems-ITSC, doi:10.1109/ITSC.2017.8317590.
- Xing, S. and Jakiela, M. , “Lane Change Strategy for Autonomous Vehicle,” Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering & Material Science, Washington University, MO, 2018.
- Hatipoglu, C., Ozguner, U., and Redmill, K. , “Automated Lane Change Controller Design,” IEEE Transactions Intelligent Transportation Systems 4(1):13-22, March 2003.
- Arιkan, K., Ünlüsoy, Y., Korkmaz, I., and Çelebi, A. , 2008, “Identification of Linear Handling Models for Road Vehicles,” in Proceedings of the International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility, 621-645, doi:10.1080/00423110701576122.
- Eskandarian, A., Soudbakhsh, D., Moreau, J., and Karcher, J. , “Development of an Active Steering Control System in a Car Driving Simulator,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1290 , 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1290.
- Seo, J. and Yi, K. , “Robust Mode Predictive Control for Lane Change of Automated Driving Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0317 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0317.
- Chae, H., Min, K., and Yi, K. , “Model Predictive Control based Automated Driving Lane Change Control Algorithm for Merge Situation on Highway Intersection,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1441 , 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1441.
- Li, H. and Luo, Y. , “Study on Steering Angle Input during the Automated Lane Change of Electric Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1962 , 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1962.
- Zhu, B., Liu, S., and Zhao, J. , “A Lane-ChangingDecision-Making Method for Intelligent Vehicle Based on Acceleration Field,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 11(3):219-230, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0599.
- Ding, Y., Zhuang, W., Qian, Y., and Zhong, H. , “Trajectory Planning for Automated Lane-Change on a Curved Road for Collision Avoidance,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0673 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0673.
- Wang, Y.Y., Pan, D., Liu, Z., and Feng, R. , “Study on Lane Change Trajectory Planning Considering of Driver Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1627 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1627.