This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Kettering University’s New Proving Ground, the GM Mobility Research Center
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Rapid changes in the automotive industry, including the growth of advanced vehicle controls and autonomy, are driving the need for more dedicated proving ground spaces where these systems can be developed safely. To address this need, Kettering University has created the GM Mobility Research Center, a 21-acre proving ground located in Flint, Michigan at the former “Chevy in the Hole” factory location. Construction of a proving ground on this site represents a beneficial redevelopment of an industrial brownfield, as well as a significant expansion of the test facilities available at the campus of Kettering University. Test facilities on the site include a road course and a test pad, along with a building that has garage space, a conference room, and an indoor observation platform. All of these facilities are available to the students and faculty of Kettering University, along with their industrial partners, for the purpose of engaging in advanced transportation research and education. This work describes the history of the proving ground development and outlines its design. Special emphasis is placed on a detailed analysis of the vehicle dynamics characteristics of the road course, with physical testing methods employed to evaluate and communicate its capabilities.
CitationBastiaan, J., Hoff, C., Beikmann, R., and LaForest, S., "Design and Analysis of Kettering University’s New Proving Ground, the GM Mobility Research Center," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0213, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0213.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Gustin, L.R. , “Driving a Buick Turned Durant into a Believer,” Automotive News 83(6325A), Septembere 15, 2008.
- Leggett, D. , “US: GM to Invest in Durant-Dort Factory One,” Just - Auto Global News, August 20, 2015.
- Dowdell, J., LaClergue, D., Marshall, E., and VanWieren, R. , “Reimagining Chevy in the Hole,” Flint Futures Group, University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment, Tech. Rep., Partners: Genesee County Land Bank & Genesse Institute, 2007.
- Stickford, J. , “Kettering University Builds Own Test Track,” Tech Center News “by the publisher of Detroit Auto Scene” 44(6), October 21, 2019.
- Ahmad, N., Zhu, Y., Ibrahim, M., Waqas, M., and Waheed, A. , “Development of a Standard Brownfield Definition, Guidelines, and Evaluation Index System for Brownfield Redevelopment in Developing Countries,” Sustainability 10(12), November 22, 2018.
- International Organization for Standardization , “Passenger Cars - Steady-State Circular Driving Behaviour - Open-Loop Test Methods,” ISO Standard 4138, 2012.
- U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration , “Laboratory Test Procedure for Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles,” FMVSS 141, 2018.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard , “Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles,” SAE Standard J1470, Reaffirmed November, 2013.
- Dindgur, M., Bastiaan, J., and Green, E. , “Source Noise Isolation during Electric Vehicle Pass-by Noise Testing Using Multiple Coherence,” SAE Technical Paper Offer 20M-0132, Accepted to SAE WCX, 2020.
- Shutko, J., Osafo-Yeboah, B., Rockwell, C., and Palmer, M. , “Driver Behavior while Operating Partially Automated Systems: Tesla Autopilot Case Study,” SAE Tecnical Paper 2018-01-0497, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0497.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice , “Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for on-Road Motor Vehicles,” SAE Standard J3016, Revised June, 2018.
- Llaneras, R.E., Cannon, B.R., and Green, C.A. , “Strategies to Assist Drivers in Remaining Attentive while under Partially Automated Driving: Verification of Human-Machine Interface Concepts,” Transportation Research Record 2663:20-26, 2017.
- Ryan, J.P., Neal, M.W., Mero, J.W., and Taverna, F.J. , “Design of the Milford Road Course,” SAE Tecnical Paper 2005-01-0385, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0385.
- Wilson, K.A. , “Vintage Racing’s Roar Restored: Waterford Hills Revives Event Dropped 10 Years Ago,” Autoweek 61(18), September 5, 2011.
- Anonymous , “Mcity Grand Opening,” The UMTRI Research Review 46(3), July-September, 2015.
- Daniels, S.M. , “Flint’s Neighborhood-Led Approach to Reducing Crime,” Next City.org, May 15, 2018.
- Congressional Documents and Publications , “Senators Peters, Stabenow Announce over $310,000 for Flint Mass Transportation Authority,” Federal Information & News Dispatch, September 16, 2016.