This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pressure Tracking Control of Electro-Mechanical Brake Booster System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The Electro-Mechanical Brake Booster system (EMBB) is a kind of novel braking booster system, which integrates active braking, regenerative braking, and other functions. It usually composes of a servo motor and the transmission mechanism. EMBB can greatly meet the development needs of vehicle intelligentization and electrification. During active braking, EMBB is required to respond quickly to the braking request and track the target pressure accurately. However, due to the highly nonlinearity of the hydraulic system and EMBB, traditional control algorithms especially for PID algorithm do not work well for pressure control. And a large amount of calibration work is required when applying PID algorithms to pressure control in engineering. In this paper, a fuzzy adaptive PI pressure control algorithm based on feed-forward is proposed to a novel self-designed EMBB mechanism, which is utilized to overcome the nonlinear pressure control problem when EMBB is in active braking and improve the control effect of PID algorithm. First, the structure of the EMBB system used in the paper and its working principle is presented. Second, this paper designs a two-layer control algorithm to implement the pressure control of EMBB. The upper layer is a pressure control loop using fuzzy PI algorithm based on feedforward, and the lower layer is a motor control loop composed of position loop and current loop. Finally, to verify the proposed control algorithm, a series of pressure tracking tests were performed under multiple operating conditions based on a real vehicle platform equipped with EMBB. The experimental results show that the proposed control algorithm can effectively enhance the accuracy of EMBB pressure control and its response speed during active braking compared with PID algorithm. Therefore, the proposed algorithm can effectively improve the effect of EMBB pressure control.
CitationYang, W., Wu, J., He, R., Zhu, B. et al., "Pressure Tracking Control of Electro-Mechanical Brake Booster System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0211, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0211.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Rao, Z., Huo, Y., and Liu, X. , “Experimental Study of an OHP-Cooled Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicle Power Battery,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 57:20-26, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2014.03.017.
- Kwon, M.H., Park, J.H., Gwak, G.S. et al. , “Cooperative Control for Friction and Regenerative Braking Systems Considering Dynamic Characteristic and Temperature Condition,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 17(3):437-446, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-016-0045-6.
- Abeysiriwardhana, W.A.S.P. and Abeykoon, A.M.H.S. , “Simulation of Brake by Wire System with Dynamic Force Control,” in 7th International Conference on Information and Automation for Sustainability, 1-6, 2014, doi:10.1109/ICIAFS.2014.7069563.
- Cheon, J.S. , “Brake by Wire System Configuration and Functions Using Front EWB (Electric Wedge Brake) and Rear EMB (Electro-Mechanical Brake),” Actuators, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1708.
- Chen, P., Wu, J., Zhao, J., He, R. et al. , “Design and Power-Assisted Braking Control of a Novel Electromechanical Brake Booster,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 11(3):171-181, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0762.
- Yeo, H., Koo, C., Jung, W., Kim, D. et al , “Development of Smart Booster Brake Systems for Regenerative Brake Cooperative Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2356 , 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2356.
- Todeschini, F., Corno, M., Panzani, G. et al. , “Adaptive Position-Pressure Control of a Brake by Wire Actuator for Sport Motorcycles,” European Journal of Control 2(20):79-86, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcon.2013.12.003.
- Han, W., Xiong, L., and Yu, Z. , “A Novel Pressure Control Strategy of an Electro-Hydraulic Brake System Via Fusion of Control Signals,” in Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Jan. 22, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407018821016.
- Yang, I.J., Choi, K., and Huh, K. , “Development of an Electric Booster System Using Sliding Mode Control for Improved Braking Performance,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 13(6):1005-1011, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-012-0103-7.
- Huang, J., Xiong, L., Xu, S., and Yu, Z. , “Hydraulic Control of Integrated Electronic Hydraulic Brake System Based on Command Feed-Forward,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1658 , 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1658.
- de Castro, R., Todeschini, F., Araujo, R.E. et al. , “Adaptive-Robust Friction Compensation in a Hybrid Brake-by-Wire Actuator,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 228(10):769-786, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/0959651813507562.
- Leiber, T.K.O., Glsperger, C., and Unterfrauner, V. , “Modular Brake System with Integrated Functionalities,” Automobile Technical Magazine 113(6), 2011.
- Yu, Z., Xu, S., Xiong, L. et al. , “Robustness Hydraulic Pressure Control System of Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Brake System,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 51(16):22-28, 2015.
- Wang, Z., Yu, L., Wang, Y., You, C. et al. , “Prototype of Distributed Electro-Hydraulic Braking System and Its Fail-Safe Control Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2066 , 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2066.
- Liu, H., Deng, W., He, R., Qian, L. et al. , “Power Assisted Braking Control Based on a Novel Mechatronic Booster,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9(2), 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1644.