This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Response of Laterally-Constrained Prismatic Battery Cells under Local Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The crash safety of lithium-ion batteries has received great attention in recent years because of their growing popularity in electric vehicles. However, the safety issues of prismatic batteries have not been thoroughly studied; in particular, the mechanical responses of prismatic battery cells with lateral constraints under varied loading conditions still remain unclear.
In this study, indentation tests are conducted to study the mechanical response of prismatic battery cells. Fixtures providing lateral constraint which simulates the real packing situation in battery module are designed. Firstly, the effects of lateral constraints on coupled mechanical and electrical responses of prismatic battery cells are analyzed and discussed. Secondly, dynamic indentation tests of prismatic cells with lateral constraints are carried out. The response of the stacked batteries under local loading is revealed. Thirdly, non-destructive X-ray computed tomography imaging technique is employed to detect the fracture patterns in battery cells caused by indentation.
The results of indentation tests indicate that the indentation depth and the peak force for the battery internal failure are affected by the side constraint conditions and the responses of battery cells vary under different loading speeds. Also, the XCT scanning results of the samples clearly show the different levels of internal damage and fracture patterns under varied conditions. The detailed mechanical responses of the prismatic battery cell disclosed in the present study can provide support for modeling and protection of batteries under side impact.
CitationXiao, F., Xing, B., and Xia, Y., "Mechanical Response of Laterally-Constrained Prismatic Battery Cells under Local Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0200, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0200.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Liu , B. , Jia , Y. , Yuan , C. , Wang , L. et al. Safety Issues and Mechanisms of Lithium-Ion Battery Cell upon Mechanical Abusive Loading: A Review Energy Storage Materials 2019 10.1016/j.ensm.2019.06.036
- Li , W. , Xia , Y. , Chen , G. , and Sahraei , E. Comparative Study of Mechanical-Electrical-Thermal Responses of Pouch, Cylindrical, and Prismatic Lithium-Ion Cells under Mechanical Abuse Science China Technological Sciences 61 10 1472 1482 2018 10.1016/j.ensm.2019.06.036
- Chen , Y. , Santhanagopalan , S. , Babu , V. , and Ding , Y. Dynamic Mechanical Behavior of Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells Subjected to High-Velocity Impact Composite Structures 218 50 59 2019 10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.03.046
- Zhu , J. , Wierzbicki , T. , and Li , W. A Review of Safety-Focused Mechanical Modeling of Commercial Lithium-Ion Batteries Journal of Power Sources 378 153 168 2018 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2017.12.034
- Luo , H. , Xia , Y. , and Zhou , Q. Mechanical Damage in a Lithium-Ion Pouch Cell under Indentation Loads Journal of Power Sources 357 61 70 2017 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2017.04.101
- Zhu , J. , Li , W. , Wierzbicki , T. , Xia , Y. et al. Deformation and Failure of Lithium-Ion Batteries Treated as a Discrete Layered Structure International Journal of Plasticity 2019 10.1016/j.ijplas.2019.06.011
- Sahraei , E. , Hill , R. , and Wierzbicki , T. Calibration and Finite Element Simulation of Pouch Lithium-Ion Batteries for Mechanical Integrity Journal of Power Sources 201 307 321 2012 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.10.094
- Lai , W.J. , Ali , M.Y. , and Pan , J. Mechanical Behavior of Representative Volume Elements of Lithium-Ion Battery Cells under Compressive Loading Conditions Journal of Power Sources 245 609 623 2014 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.06.134
- Lai , W.J. , Ali , M.Y. , and Pan , J. Mechanical Behavior of Representative Volume Elements of Lithium-Ion Battery Modules under Various Loading Conditions Journal of Power Sources 248 789 808 2014 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.09.128
- Kotter , P. , Kisters , T. , and Schleicher , A. Dynamic Impact Tests to Characterize the Crashworthiness of Large-Format Lithium-Ion Cells Journal of Energy Storage 26 100948 2019 10.1016/j.est.2019.100948
- Wang , H. , Simunovic , S. , Maleki , H. , Howard , J.N. et al. Internal Configuration of Prismatic Lithium-Ion Cells at the Onset of Mechanically Induced Short Circuit Journal of Power Sources 306 424 430 2016 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.12.026
- Lu , L. , Han , X. , Li , J. , Hua , J. et al. A Review on the Key Issues for Lithium-Ion Battery Management in Electric Vehicles Journal of Power Sources 226 272 288 2013 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.10.060
- Xia , Y. , Chen , G. , Zhou , Q. , Shi , X. et al. Failure Behaviours of 100% SOC Lithium-Ion Battery Modules under Different Impact Loading Conditions Engineering Failure Analysis 82 13 149 160 2017 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2017.09.003
- Ferreira , T. and Rasband , W. Imagej User Guide ImageJ/Fiji 1 155 161 2012
- Schneider , C.A. , Rasband , W.S. , and Eliceiri , K.W. NIH Image to Imagej: 25 Years of Image Analysis Nature Methods 9 7 671 2012 10.1038/nmeth.2089
- Zhu , J. , Luo , H. , Li , W. , Gao , T. et al. Mechanism of Strengthening of Battery Resistance under Dynamic Loading International Journal of Impact Engineering 131 78 84 2019 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2019.05.003
- Kisters , T. , Sahraei , E. , and Wierzbicki , T. Dynamic Impact Tests on Lithium-Ion Cells International Journal of Impact Engineering 108 205 216 2017 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2017.04.025
- Dixon , B. , Mason , A. , and Sahraei , E. Effects of Electrolyte, Loading Rate and Location of Indentation on Mechanical Integrity of Li-Ion Pouch Cells Journal of Power Sources 396 412 420 2018 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2018.06.042