This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Calibration and Validation of GISSMO Damage Model for A 780-MPa Third Generation Advanced High Strength Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To evaluate vehicle crash performance in the early design stages, a reliable fracture model is needed in crash simulations to predict material fracture initiation and propagation. In this paper, a generalized incremental stress state dependent damage model (GISSMO) in LS-DYNA® was calibrated and validated for a 780-MPa third generation advanced high strength steels (AHSS), namely 780 XG3TM steel that combines high strength and ductility. The fracture locus of the 780 XG3TM steel was experimentally characterized under various stress states including uniaxial tension, shear, plane strain and equi-biaxial stretch conditions. A process to calibrate the parameters in the GISSMO model was developed and successfully applied to the 780 XG3TM steel using the fracture test data for these stress states. The calibrated GISSMO fracture card for 780 XG3TM steel was then validated in simulations of wedge-bend tests, two notched tensile tests and axial crash tests of octagonal, 12-sided and 16-sided components. The predicted fracture locations, displacement at fracture and force-displacement curves agreed well with the test results. The study also demonstrates that 780 XG3TM steel, when combined with the 12 and 16-sided advanced section designs, improves axial crash energy absorption efficiency with minimal fracture and offers an opportunity for weight reduction.
CitationChen, G., Huang, L., Link, T., Tyan, T. et al., "Calibration and Validation of GISSMO Damage Model for A 780-MPa Third Generation Advanced High Strength Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0198, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0198.
- Bai , Y. and Wierzbicki , T. Application of Extended Mohr-Coulomb Criterion to Ductile Fracture Int. J. Fracture. 161 1 1 20 2010
- Roth , C.C. and Mohr , D. Ductile Fracture Experiments with Locally Proportional Loading Histories Int. J. Plasticity 79 328 354 2016
- Gu , G. and Mohr , D. Anisotropic Hosford-Coulomb Fracture Initiation Model: Theory and Application Eng. Fract. Mech. 147 480 497 2015 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2015.08.004
- Neukamm , F. , Feucht , M. , Haufe , A. , and Roll , K. On Closing the Constitutive Gap between Forming and Crash Simulation Proceedings of the 10th International LS-DYNA Users Conference Dearborn, MI 2008
- Haufe , A. , Neukamm , F. , Feucht , M. , and Borvall , T. A Comparison of Recent Damage and Failure Models for Steel Materials in Crashworthiness Application in LS-DYNA 11th International LS-DYNA Users Conference Dearborn, MI 2010
- Chen , X. , Chen , G. , and Huang , L. Validation of GISSMO Model for Fracture Prediction of a Third Generation Advanced High Strength Steel SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0107 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0107
- Chen , X. , Chen , G. , Huang , L. , and Shi , M.F. Calibration of GISSMO Model for Fracture Prediction of A Super High Formable Advanced High Strength Steel 15th International LS-DYNA User Conference Dearborn, MI 2018
- Huang , L. , Shi , M. , and Russell , P. Determination of Fracture Strain of Advanced High Strength Steels Using Digital Image Correlation in Combination with Thinning Measurement SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0314 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0314
- Abedini , A. , Butcher , C. , Anderson , D. , Worswick , M. , and Skszek , T. Fracture Characterization of Automotive Alloys in Shear Loading SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 8 3 774 782 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0528
- ten Kortenaar , L. 2016
- Butcher , C. 2017
- Mohr , D. and Marcadet , S.J. Micromechanically-Motivated Phenomenological Hosford-Coulomb Model for Predicting Ductile Fracture Initiation at Low Stress Triaxialites Int. J. Solids Struct. 67-68 40 55 2015 10.1016/2015.02.024
- Bai , Y. and Wierzbicki , T. A New Model of Metal Plasticity and Fracture with Pressure and Lode Dependence Int. J. Plasticity 24 6 1071 1096
- Haufe , A. , Erhart , T. , Andrade , F. , Willmann , T. , and Bischoff , M. Remarks on Constitutive and Structural Modelling of Small Radii in Sheet Metal and Crashworthiness Simulation IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 418 012124 2018 10.1088/1757-899X/418/1/012124
- Chen , G. , Link , T.M. , Shi , M.F. , Tyan , T. et al. Axial Crash Testing and Finite Element Modeling of A 12-Sided Steel Component SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0379 3 1 162 173 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0379
- Chen , G. , Shi , M.F. , and Tyan , T. Fracture Modeling of AHSS in Component Crush Tests SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0001 4 1 1 9 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0001
- Chen , G. , Link , T.M. , Shi , M.F. , and Tyan , T. Modeling of Material Orientation Effects on AHSS Crush and Fracture Behavior in Axial Crush Tests Traffic Injury Prevention 14 sup1 S23 S29 2013