This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Prediction of HVAC Pipe Assembly for Measured Powertrain Load by Virtual Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structural durability of automotive components is one of the key requirements in design and development of today’s automobiles. Virtual simulations are used to estimate component durability to save the cost and time required to build the components and testing.
The objective of this work is to find the service life of automotive HVAC pipe assembly by calculating cumulative fatigue life for operation under actual powertrain load conditions. Modal transient response analysis is performed with the measured powertrain load time history. Strain based fatigue life analysis is carried out using modal superposition method (MSM). The estimated fatigue life was compared with the physical test results. This paper also explains the root cause of low fatigue life on pipe assembly and provide the solution.
CitationPandi, S., Elango, C., Appana, K., Mahadule, R. et al., "Fatigue Life Prediction of HVAC Pipe Assembly for Measured Powertrain Load by Virtual Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0188, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0188.
- Sathish Kumar, P., Sreedhar, B., and Suryavanshi, V. , “Estimation of Fatigue Damage of Passenger Commercial Vehicle for Road Load Inputs by Virtual Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2781, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2781.
- Wijaya, C., Yoon, M.C., and Kim, B.T. , “Numerical Investigation on the Dynamic Characteristics of an Automotive A/C Hose,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 13:433-440, 2012.
- Lee, Y.-L., Pan, J., Hathaway, R., and Barkey, M. , Fatigue Testing and Analysis-Theory and Practice (Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann, 2005).
- Gokhale, N.S. et al. , Practical Finite Element Analysis First Edition (Finite to Infinite, 2008).
- MSC Software Corporation , “MSC / Nastran Reference Manual (2004),” 2009.
- HBM United Kingdom Limited , “N-Code Design Life Theory Guide,” 2018.