This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Microstructure-Fatigue Relationships for Cast Irons
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A microstructural fatigue crack nucleation model is developed for cast irons with graphite inclusions of different shapes, based on Eshelby’s solution for ellipsoidal inclusions and the Tanaka-Mura-Wu model for fatigue crack nucleation. This model is used to analyze ductile cast iron with nodular graphite microstructure, gray cast iron with flake-like graphite microstructure, and compacted graphite iron with vermicular graphite microstructure. Excellent agreements are found between the model predictions and the experimental data or the Coffin-Manson-Basquin best-fit correlations. This has established an analytical microstructure-fatigue prediction approach, which saves the time and cost of fatigue design with regards to these materials.
CitationWu, X., "Microstructure-Fatigue Relationships for Cast Irons," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0187, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0187.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Eshelby, J.D. , “The Determination of the Elastic Field of an Ellipsoidal Inclusion, and Related Problems,” Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 241:376-396, 1957.
- Wu, X.J. , “On Tanaka-Mura’s Fatigue Crack Nucleation Model and Validation,” Fat. Fract. Eng. Mat. & Struct. 41:894-899, 2018.
- Shibata, M. and Ono, K. , “Internal Stresses Due to an Oblate Speroidal Inclusion: Misfit, Inhomogeneity and Plastic Deformation Effects,” Acta Metall. 36:921-932, 1978.
- Guzik, E. and Dzik, S. , “Structure and Mechanical Properties of Vermicular Cast Iron in Cylinder Head Casting,” Archives of Foundry Engineering 9:175-180, 2019.
- Wu, X.J., Quan, G., MacNeil, R., Zhang, Z., and Sloss, C. , “Failure Mechanisms and Damage Model of Ductile Cast Iron under Low-Cycle Fatigue Conditions,” Metall. and Mater. Trans. A 45A:5088-5097, 2014.
- Wu, X.J., Quan, G., MacNeil, R., Zhang, Z. et al. , “Thermomechanical Fatigue of Ductile Cast Iron and its Life Prediction,” Metall. and Mater. Trans. A 46A:2530-2543, 2015.
- Liu, X., Quan, G., Wu, X., Zhang, Z. et al. , “Simulation of Thermomechanical Fatigue of Ductile Cast Iron and Lifetime Calculation,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0552, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0552.
- Pevec, M., Oder, G., Potrc, I., and Šraml, M. , “Elevated Temperature Low Cycle Fatigue of Grey Cast Iron Used for Automotive Brake Discs,” Engineering Failure Analysis 42:221-230, 2014.
- Qiu, Y., Pang, J.C., Zou, C.L., Zhang, M.X. et al. , “Fatigue Strength Model Based on Microstructures and Damage Mechanism of Compacted Graphite Iron,” Mater Sci. & Eng. A 724:324-329, 2018.
- Zou, C.L., Pang, J.C., Zhang, M.X., Qiu, Y. et al. , “The High Cycle Fatigue, Deformation and Fracture of Compacted Graphite Iron: Influence of Temperature,” Mater. Sci. & Eng. A 724:606-615, 2018.
- Zhang, M.X., Pang, J.C., Qiu, Y., Li, S.X. et al. , “Thermo-Mechanical Fatigue Property and Life Prediction of Vermicular Graphite Iron,” Mater. Sci. & Eng. A 698:63-72, 2017.
- Qiu, Y.J., Pang, C., Li, S.X., Zhang, M.X., and Zhang, Z.F. , “Influence of Temperature on the Low-Cycle Fatigue Properties of Compacted Graphite Iron,” Int. J. Fatigue 117:450-460, 2018.
- Tanaka, K. and Mura, Y.A. , “A Dislocation Model for Fatigue Crack Initiation,” J Appl. Mech. 48:97-103, 1981.