This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Frequency Domain Loads Processing for Exhaust Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A previous SAE paper (2018-01-1396), (see ref 5) introduced the concept of using the frequency domain for exhaust system analysis under road excitation as a fast and efficient approach. During the intervening period further benchmarks have confirmed the validity of the approach for several exhaust systems comparing the results of simulations performed in the time domain and frequency domain for different applications.
This paper will present that data and also introduce a new technique which has been developed to create, from the originating road load data (RLD), the cutting plane loads at any desired section of the exhaust system. Those loads can be used directly to determine safety factors against load capacities based, for example, on part SN curves from current or former hardware testing or even derived from statistics.
The advantage lies in the early availability of virtual models in the development process, providing information about the loads acting on the system before any hardware can be built or measured.
Another big benefit relates to the high variability and flexibility of post-processing using CAE tools which stands in opposition to the fixed strain gage positions in measurement which makes sensitivity studies or additional evaluations impossible.
Last but not least, this method can also be applied to provide better information about load targets to be achieved by, for example, supplier parts, like flex pipes or flaps. This can therefore support early application-tailored designs. Or it can be used for the extraction of loads for shaker testing and replace generic loads that may lead to over engineering.
CitationLeisten, P., Bishop, N., and Spieth, A., "Frequency Domain Loads Processing for Exhaust Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0180, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0180.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- CAEfatigue Limited 2019
- CAEfatigue Limited 2019
- Kerr , S. , Bishop , B. , and Datta , S. 2019
- Bishop , N. , Sweitzer , K. , Ferreira , W.G. , Cardoso , V. et al. Loads Cascading in the Frequency Domain SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0138 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0138
- Leisten , P. , Bishop , N. , and Spieth , A. Frequency Domain Fatigue Analysis of Exhaust Systems SAE Tech Paper 2018-01-1396 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1396
- Costa , E. , Bishop , N. , and Cardoso , V. Frequency FE-Based Weld Fatigue Life Prediction of Dynamic Systems SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0355 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1396
- Datta , S. , Bishop , N. , Sweitzer , K. , and Atkins , A. Simultaneous Durability Assessment and Relative Random Analysis under Base Shake Loading Conditions SAE Tech Paper 2017-01-0339 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0339
- Gannamani , R. , Gupta , A. , Bishop , N. , and Caserio , A. Sine on Random Vibration Fatigue Stockholm, Sweden NAFEMS World Congress June 2017
- Nienkemper , R. and Bishop , N. Simultaneous Durability Assessment and Relative Random Analysis under Base Shake Loading Conditions Stockholm, Sweden NAFEMS World Congress June 2017
- Udayakumar , G. , Murthy , P. , Bishop , N. , and Moolam , R. Creating Accurate Surrogate and/or Accelerated Loads for Known Models or Structural Systems Types Stockholm, Sweden NAFEMS World Congress June 2017
- Ferreira , W.G. , Meehan , T.S. , Bishop , N. , and Cardoso , V.M. Comparative Study of Automotive System Fatigue Models Processed in the Time and Frequency Domain SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0377 April 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0377
- Thesing , T. and Bishop , N. Modern Methods for Random Fatigue of Automotive Parts SAE Tech Paper 2016-01-0372 April 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0372
- Bishop , N. , Kerr , S. , Murthy , P. , and Sweitzer , K. Time vs Frequency Domain Analysis for Large Automotive Systems SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0535 April 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0535
- Bishop , N. , Kerr , S. , and Murthy , P. Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0725 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0725
- Bishop , N. , Murthy , P. , and Sweitzer , K. Advances Relating To Fatigue Calculations For Combined Random and Deterministic Loads 13th International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (39th National Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics) Jacksonville, FL 2013
- MIL-STD-810G 2008
- Dowling , N.E. Mean Stress Effects in Stress-Life and Strain-Life Fatigue Fatigue 2004: Second SAE Brasil International Conference on Fatigue São Paulo, Brasil June 2004
- Sweitzer , K.A. , Bishop , N.W.M. , and Genberg , V.L. Efficient Computation of Spectral Moments for Determination of Random Response Statistics International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering - ISMA Leuven, BE 2004
- Bishop , N.W.M. and Sherratt , F. 2000
- SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. SAE Fatigue Design Handbook Third Edition Warrendale, PA 1997
- Bishop , N. and Sherratt , F. Fatigue Life Prediction from Power Spectral Density Data. Part 1, Traditional Approaches and Part 2, Recent Developments Env. Eng. 2 1989