This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Bolted Joint Finite Element Modeling for Vehicle Level Durability Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper describes a study on identifying a suitable thickness for finite element modeling a “deformable washer” to simulate bolted joints for vehicle level durability analysis based on experimental results. First, a test matrix table is introduced, which is based on representative vehicle structures for different bolt/nut sizes, bolt grades, sheet gages, and sheet materials etc. Then coupon tests, both static and fatigue, are illustrated. Next, the corresponding finite element model with different thickness of “deformable washers” and results are presented. Following that, the optimal “deformable washer” thickness is recommended based on statistical parameters (mean and standard deviation) of the relative differences between finite element analysis results and physical test results. Lastly, a case study is demonstrated for the proposed strategy. The results indicate that the recommended modeling strategy overcomes the limitations of rigid element (RBE2) connections for bolt joint modeling and predicts reasonable results comparable to the physical test results.
CitationZhang, W. and Guo, M., "A Study on Bolted Joint Finite Element Modeling for Vehicle Level Durability Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0178, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0178.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Guo , M. , Bhosale , S. , Srikantan , S. , Munson , K. et al. A Fatigue Life Estimation Technique for Body Mount Joints SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5 1 226 234 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0733
- Guo , M. , Lin , B. , Ali , S. , and Sanghera , R. Finite Element Analyses of Fastened Joints in Automotive Engineering SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1204 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1204
- Guo , M. and Ali , S. Study on Simplified Finite Element Simulation Approaches of Fastened Joints SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1268 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1268
- Guo , M. , Quan , K. , Bhosale , S. , Wang , C. et al. Techniques for Contact Considerations in Fatigue Life Estimations of Automotive Structures SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1201 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1201
- Zhang , W. , Guo , M. , and Srikantan , S. Rainflow Counting Based Block Cycle Development for Fatigue Analysis Using Nonlinear Stress Approach SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 6 2 330 338 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1206
- Lee , Y. , Pan , J. , Hathaway , R. , and Barkey , M. Fatigue Testing and Analysis: Theory and Practice Boston Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann 2005
- Bickford , J.H. , Nassar , S. Handbook of Bolts and Bolted Joints M. Dekker 1998