This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Static and Fatigue Performance of Self-Piercing Riveted Joints and Adhesively Bonded Self-Piercing Riveted Joints Connecting Steel and Aluminum Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper describes an experimental study on the performance of self-piercing riveted (SPR) joints and adhesively bonded SPR joints connecting steel and aluminum components under both quasi-static and cyclic loading. The joint configurations cover a wide range of material gauges, types and grades. Two and three thickness joints, with and without adhesive are also part of this study. Load versus deflection behavior, load carrying capacity, fatigue life and the failure modes for each type of joint are discussed. This study focuses on the influence of dissimilar material and adhesives to the joint performance.
CitationGuo, M. and El-Tawil, G., "Experimental Study on Static and Fatigue Performance of Self-Piercing Riveted Joints and Adhesively Bonded Self-Piercing Riveted Joints Connecting Steel and Aluminum Components," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0177, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Chrysanthou, A. and Sun, X. , Self-Piercing Riveting -Properties, Processes and Applications (Woodhead Publishing Series in Welding and Other Joining Technologies, 2014). ISBN:978-1-84569-535-4.
- Kawamura, H. and Cheng, M. , “Fatigue Life Prediction Method for Self-Piercing Rivets Considering Crack Propagation,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0531, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0531.
- Kang, H., Khosrovaneh, A., Su, X., Lee, Y. et al. , “A Fatigue Life Prediction Method of Laser Assisted Self-Piercing Rivet Joint for Magnesium Alloys,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 8(3):789-794, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0537.
- Chen, G. and Guo, M. , “Failure Modeling of Adhesive Bonded Joints with Cohesive Elements,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0351, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0351.
- Guo, M., Bhandarkar, R., Zhang, W., Chen, G. et al. , “An Experimental Study on Static and Fatigue Strengths of Resistance Spot Welds with Stack-up of Advanced High Strength Steels and Adhesive,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0389, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0389.