This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Space Weather on Autonomous Vehicle Navigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Autonomous vehicle systems integrate multiple information systems. Navigation is reliant on Global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) such as the global positioning systems (GPS) which are supported by a satellite network. However, satellites and radio signals are subject to interference from sunspots. Sunspots happen on regular cycles at varying strengths but their occurrence can’t be exactly predicted. The likelihood of a severe solar event is roughly twelve percent per decade; consequently, solar events are likely to impair navigation. Results will show the probability of each event and its impact on autonomous vehicle navigation. In the worst case scenario, satellites could even be permanently damaged by severe sunspots. As autonomous vehicles become a more significant portion of the economy, it is necessary that they have resilience to operate in extreme conditions. Alternative navigation procedures are proposed to enhance the resiliency of autonomous vehicles. Artificial intelligence related to place identification with relative geographic navigation and storage of most common routes is an option.
CitationHoback, A., "Effect of Space Weather on Autonomous Vehicle Navigation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0140, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0140.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Poppe, B.B. and Jorden, K.P. , Sentinels of the Sun: Forecasting Space Weather (Big Earth Publishing, 2006).
- Weiss, N. , “Dynamos in Planets, Stars and Galaxies,” Astronomy & Geophysics 43(3):3-9, 2002.
- Holman, G.D. , “The Mysterious Origins of Solar Flares,” Scientific American 294(4):38-45, 2006.
- Fox, Nicky , “Coronal Mass Ejections,” Goddard Space Flight Center of NASA, 2011, http://wwwistp.gsfc.nasa.gov/istp/nicky/cme-chase.html.
- NASA Stereo Science Center , “Stereo Ahead COR 2,” http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/beacon/latest_512/ahead_cor2_latest.jpg (accessed 1/5/19).
- Feldstein, Y.I. , “The Discovery and the First Studies of the Auroral Oval: A Review,” Geomagnetism and Aeronomy 56(2):129-142, 2016.
- Michael, W., Murtagh, W., Balch, C., Diesecker, D., Combs, L., Crown, M., Doggett, K., Kunches, J., Singer, H., Zezula, L.D. , “Halloween Space Weather Storms of 2003,” NOAA Technical Memorandum OAR SEC 88, 2004.
- Boteler, D.H. , “The Super Storms of August/September 1859 and Their Effects on the Telegraph System,” Advances in Space Research 38(2):159-172, 2006.
- Boteler, D.H., Pirjola, R.J., and Nevanlinna, H. , “The Effects of Geomagnetic Disturbances on Electrical Systems at the Earth's Surface,” Advances in Space Research 22(1):17-27, 1998.
- Bolduc, L. , “GIC Observations and Studies in the Hydro-Québec Power System,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 64(16):1793-1802, 2002.
- Cerruti, A.P., Kintner, P.M., Gary, D.E., Lanzerotti, L.J., de Paula, E.R., and Vo, H.B. , “Observed Solar Radio Burst Effects on GPS/Wide Area Augmentation System Carrier-to-Noise Ratio,” Space Weather 4(10), (2006).
- Thomson, N.R., Rodger, C.J., and Dowden, R.L. , “Ionosphere Gives Size of Greatest Solar Flare,” Geophysical Research Letters 31(6), 2004.
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration , “GOES R Series Space Weather Data,” https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/satellite/goes-r.html.
- Riley, P. , “On the Probability of Occurrence of Extreme Space Weather Events,” Space Weather 10(2), 2012.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency , “Current GPS Satellite Data,” http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html (retrieved April 2, 2019).
- Federal Business Opportunities , “18 - GPS IIIF Request for Proposal (RFP),” 2018, https://www.fbo.gov/spg/USAF/AFSC/SMCSMSC/FA8807-17-R-0009/listing.html (retrieved October 2, 2018).
- Diggelen, V. , Frank Stephen Tromp. A-GPS: Assisted GPS, GNSS, and SBAS (Artech House, 2009).
- Schwarz, B. , “LIDAR: Mapping the World in 3D,” Nature Photonics 4(7):429, 2010.
- Biswas, S., Tatchikou, R., and Dion, F. , “Vehicle-to-Vehicle Wireless Communication Protocols for Enhancing Highway Traffic Safety,” IEEE Communications Magazine 44(1):74-82, 2006.
- Sepulcre, M., and Gozalvez, J. , “On the Importance of Radio Channel Modeling for the Dimensioning of Wireless Vehicular Communication Systems,” in Telecommunications, 2007. ITST'07. 7th International Conference on ITS, IEEE, 2007, 1-5.
- Harris, M. , “Uber Could be First to Test Completely Driverless Cars in Public,” IEEE Spectrum 14:2015, 2015.
- Hu, H., and Wei, N. , “A Study of GPS Jamming and Anti-Jamming,” in 2nd Int’l Conf. Power Electronics and Intelligent Transportation System (PEITS), IEEE, 2009, 1.
- Grant, L.V. , “An Overview of the Federal Radionavigation Plan, in Electronics and Aerospace Conference, 1988. How will Space and Terrestrial Systems Share the Future? Conference Proceedings, IEEE EASCON'88, 21st Annual, IEEE, 1988, 173-177.
- Johnson, G.W., Swaszek, P.F., Hartnett, R.J., Shalaev, R., and Wiggins, M. , “An Evaluation of eLoran as a Backup to GPS, in Technologies for Homeland Security, 2007 IEEE Conference on, IEEE, 2007, 95-100.
- Liao, L., Patterson, Donald J., Fox, D., and Kautz, H. , "Learning and Inferring Transportation Routines," Artificial Intelligence, 171, no. 5-6 (2007), 311-331.
- Cox, J.J. , “Blanche: An Autonomous Robot Vehicle for Structured Environments,” in Robotics and Automation, 1988. Proceedings., 1988 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE, 1988, 978-982.
- Noureldin, A., Karamat, T.B., and Georgy, J. , “Inertial Navigation System,” in Fundamentals of Inertial Navigation, Satellite-Based Positioning and Their Integration, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2013, 125-166.
- Chong, K.S. and Kleeman, L. , “Accurate Odometry and Error Modelling for a Mobile Robot,” in Robotics and Automation, 1997. Proceedings., 1997 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE, 1997, 4, 2783-2788.
- Bonin-Font, F., Ortiz, A., and Oliver, G. , “Visual Navigation for Mobile Robots: A Survey,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 53(3):263-296, 2008.
- Fagnant, D.J. and Kockelman, K. , “Preparing a Nation for Autonomous Vehicles: Opportunities, Barriers and Policy Recommendations,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 77:167-181, 2015.