This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Highway Driving Motion Decision Based on Optimal Control Theory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
According to driving scenarios, intelligent vehicle is mainly applied on urban driving, highway driving and close zone driving, etc. As one of the most valuable developments, automated highway driving has great progress. This paper focuses on automated highway driving decision, and considering decision efficiency and feasibility, a hierarchical motion planning algorithm based on dynamic programming was proposed, and simultaneously, road coordinate transformation methods were developed to deal with complex road conditions. At first, all transportation user states are transformed into straight road coordinate to simplify modeling and planning, then a set of candidate paths with Bezier form was developed and with the help of obstacles motion prediction, the feasible target paths with collision-free were remains, and via comparing vehicle performance for feasible path, the optimal driving trajectory was generated. At last, the optimal control model was applied to obtain the motion parameters, which were regarded as the control target for lower level controller. A three-lane highway simulations was designed, and the results demonstrated that the proposed algorithm was valid to avoid obstacles with given speed, and by split planning and optimization, the computation cost could be easily configured by sampling nodes. This paper gives a synthetic automated highway driving decision system design and reveals a practical engineering application for intelligent vehicle.
CitationYang, W., Ling, Z., and Li, Y., "Automated Highway Driving Motion Decision Based on Optimal Control Theory," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0130, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Singh, S. , “Critical Reasons for Crashes Investigated in the National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation,” Survey. No. DOT HS 812 115, 2015.
- Huh, K., Seo, C., Kim, J., and Hong, D. , “An Experimental Investigation of a CW/CA System for Automobiles Using Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulations,” in Proceedings of the 1999 American Control Conference, IEEE, 1999, 1, 724-728.
- Thiffault, P. and Bergeron, J. , “Monotony of Road Environment and Driver Fatigue: A Simulator Study,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 35(3):381-391, 2003.
- Nagatani, T. and Nakanishi, K. , “Delay Effect on Phase Transitions in Traffic Dynamics,” Physical Review E 57(6):6415, 1998.
- Bevly, D., Cao, X., Gordon, M., Ozbilgin, G. et al. , “Lane Change and Merge Maneuvers for Connected and Automated Vehicles: A Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 1(1):105-120, 2016.
- Paden, B., Čáp, M., Yong, S.Z., Yershov, D., and Frazzoli, E. , “A Survey of Motion Planning and Control Techniques for Self-Driving Urban Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 1(1):33-55, 2016.
- David, J.P., Milanés, V., and Nashashibi, F. , “A Review of Motion Planning Techniques for Automated Vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems, 4 17:1135-1145, 2016.
- Schwarting, W., Alonso-Mora, J., and Rus, D. , “Planning and Decision-Making for Autonomous Vehicles,” in Annual Review of Control, Robotics, and Autonomous Systems, 2018.
- Ji, J., Khajepour, A., Melek, W.W., and Huang, Y. , “Path Planning and Tracking for Vehicle Collision Avoidance Based on Model Predictive Control with Multiconstraints,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 66(2):952-964, 2017.
- Tian, Y., Pei, K., Jana, S., and Ray, B. , “Deeptest: Automated Testing of Deep-Neural-Network-Driven Autonomous Cars,” in Proceedings of the 40th International Conference on Software Engineering, ACM, 2018, 303-314.
- Eraqi, H.M., Moustafa, M.N., and Honer, J. , “End-to-End Deep Learning for Steering Autonomous Vehicles Considering Temporal Dependencies,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1710.03804, 2017.
- Geist, A.R., Hansen, A., Solowjow, E., Yang, S., and Kreuzer, E. , “Data Collection for Robust End-to-End Lateral Vehicle Control, in ASME 2017 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2017, pp. V001T45A007-V001T45A007.
- Okan, A., Görer, B., and Akın, H.L. , “End-to-End Deep Imitation Learning: Robot Soccer Case Study,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1807.09205, 2018.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration , Traffic Safety Facts 2016,” Washington, DC: Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2017.
- Heil, T., Lange, A., and Cramer, S. , “Adaptive and Efficient Lane Change Path Planning for Automated Vehicles,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on, IEEE, 2016, 479-484.
- Alia, C., Reine, T., and Ali, C. , “Maneuver Planning for Autonomous Vehicles, with Clothoid Tentacles for Local Trajectory Planning,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2017 IEEE 20th International Conference on, IEEE, 2017, 1-6.
- Yang, D., Zheng, S., Cheng, W., Jin, P.J., and Ran, B. , “A Dynamic Lane-Changing Trajectory Planning Model for Automated Vehicles,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 95:228-247, 2018.
- Chen, J., Pan, Z., Mei, T., and Liang, H. , “Lane Change Path Planning Based on Piecewise Bezier Curve for Autonomous Vehicle, in Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE, 2013, 17-22.
- Qian, X., Navarro, I., de La Fortelle, A., and Moutarde, F. , “Motion Planning for Urban Autonomous Driving Using Bézier Curves and MPC,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on, IEEE, 2016, 826-833.
- Choi, J.W., Curry, R., and Elkaim, G. , “Path Planning Based on Bézier Curve for Autonomous Ground Vehicles, in World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2008, WCECS'08. Advances in Electrical and Electronics Engineering-IAENG Special Edition of the, IEEE, 2008, 158-166.
- Takano, G., Obayashi, M., and Uto, K. , “Path Planning for Autonomous Car to Avoid Moving Obstacles by Steering Using Tangent-Arc-Tangent-Arc-Tangent Model,” in Control Applications (CCA), 2015 IEEE Conference on, IEEE, 2015, 1702-1709.
- Li, B., Zhang, Y., Ge, Y., Shao, Z., and Li, P. , “Optimal Control-Based Online Motion Planning for Cooperative Lane Changes of Connected and Automated Vehicles, in Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, IEEE, 2017, 3689-3694.
- Makantasis, K. and Papageorgiou, M. , “Motorway Path Planning for Automated Road Vehicles Based on Optimal Control Methods,” Transportation Research Record, 2018, 0361198118780710.
- Du, Y., Wang, Y., and Chan, C.Y. , “Autonomous Lane-Change Controller via Mixed Logical Dynamical,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2014 IEEE 17th International Conference on, IEEE, 2014, 1154-1159.
- Wahid, N., Zamzuri, H., Ariff, M.H.M., and Amer, N.H. , “Adaptive Potential Field-Based Motion Planning Approach and Control for Automated Vehicle Collision Avoidance Systems,” in Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks Vol 1: Proceedings of the 25th International Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks (IAVSD 2017), Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, CRC Press, August 14-18, 2017, 381.
- Rasekhipour, Y., Khajepour, A., Chen, S.-K., and Litkouhi, B. , “A Potential Field-Based Model Predictive Path-Planning Controller for Autonomous Road Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18(5):1255-1267, 2017.
- Li, X., Sun, Z., Cao, D., Liu, D., and He, H. , “Development of a New Integrated Local Trajectory Planning and Tracking Control Framework for Autonomous Ground Vehicles,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 87:118-137, 2017.
- Liang, M., Xue, J., Kawabata, K., Zhu, J., Ma, C., and Zheng, N. , "Efficient Sampling-Based Motion Planning for On-Road Autonomous Driving," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16, no. 4 (2015), 1961-1976.
- Pothan, S., Nandagopal, J.L., and Selvaraj, G. , Path Planning Using State Lattice for Autonomous Vehicle, in 2017 International Conference on Technological Advancements in Power and Energy (TAP Energy), IEEE, 2017, 1-5.
- Kuwata, Y., Fiore, G.A., Teo, J., Frazzoli, E., and Jonathan, P. , “Motion Planning for Urban Driving Using RRT,” in Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2008. IROS 2008, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, IEEE, 2008, 1681-1686.
- Kuwata, Y., Teo, J., Fiore, G., Karaman, S. et al. , “Real-Time Motion Planning with Applications to Autonomous Urban Driving,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 17(5):1105-1118, 2009.
- Kala, R. and Warwick, K. , “Planning of Multiple Autonomous Vehicles Using RRT,” in Cybernetic Intelligent Systems (CIS), 2011 IEEE 10th International Conference on, IEEE, 2011, 20-25.
- El Hajjaji, A. and Bentalba, S. , “Fuzzy Path Tracking Control for Automatic Steering of Vehicles,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 43(4):203-213, 2003.
- Shladover, P., Steven, E., Desoer, C.A., Hedrick, J.K. et al. , “Automated Vehicle Control Developments in the PATH Program,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 40(1):114-130, 1991.
- Snider, J.M. , “Automatic Steering Methods for Autonomous Automobile Path Tracking, Robotics Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, Tech. Rep. CMU-RITR-09-08, 2009.
- Furukawa, Y., Yuhara, N., Sano, S., Takeda, H., and Matsushita, Y. , “A Review of Four-Wheel Steering Studies from the Viewpoint of Vehicle Dynamics and Control,” Vehicle System Dynamics 18(1-3):151-186, 1989.
- Guo, H., Liu, J., Cao, D., Hong Chen, R.Y., and Lv, C. , “Dual-Envelop-Oriented Moving Horizon Path Tracking Control for Fully Automated Vehicles,” Mechatronics 50:422-433, 2018.
- Elbanhawi, M., Simic, M., and Jazar, R. , “Receding Horizon Lateral Vehicle Control for Pure Pursuit Path Tracking,” Journal of Vibration and Control 24(3):619-642, 2018.
- Cui, Q., Ding, R., Zhou, B., and Xiaojian, W. , “Path-Tracking of an Autonomous Vehicle via Model Predictive Control and Nonlinear Filtering,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 232(9):1237-1252, 2018.
- Kasinathan, D., Kasaiezadeh, A., Wong, A., Khajepour, A. et al. , “An Optimal Torque Vectoring Control for Vehicle Applications via Real-Time Constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(6):4368-4378, 2016.
- Fallah, S., Khajepour, A., Fidan, B., Chen, S.-K., and Litkouhi, B. , “Vehicle Optimal Torque Vectoring Using State-Derivative Feedback and Linear Matrix Inequality,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 62(4):1540-1552, 2013.
- Ren, Y., Zheng, L., and Khajepour, A. , “Integrated Model Predictive and Torque Vectoring Control for Path Tracking of 4-Wheel-Driven Autonomous Vehicles,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems 13(1):98-107, 2018.
- Lim, W., Lee, S., Sunwoo, M., and Jo, K. , “Hierarchical Trajectory Planning of an Autonomous Car based on the Integration of a Sampling and an Optimization Method,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 19(2):613-626, 2018.
- Lim, W., Lee, S., Jo, K., and Sunwoo, M. , “Behavioral Trajectory Planning for Motion Planning in Urban Environments,” in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2017 IEEE 20th International Conference on, IEEE, 2017, 515-521.
- Rosolia, U., De Bruyne, S., and Alleyne, A.G. , “Autonomous Vehicle Control: A Nonconvex Approach for Obstacle Avoidance,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 25(2):469-484, 2017.
- Beal, L., Hill, D., Martin, R., and Hedengren, J. , “GEKKO Optimization Suite,” Processes 6(8):106, 2018.