This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-time and Accurate Estimation of Road Slope for Intelligent Speed Planning System of Commercial Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the intelligent speed planning system, real-time estimation of road slope is the key to calculate slope resistance and realize the vehicles’ active safety control. However, if the road slope is measured by the sensor while the commercial vehicle is driving, the vibration of the vehicle body will affect its measurement accuracy. Therefore, the relevant algorithm is used to estimate the real-time slope of the road when the commercial vehicle is driving. At present, many domestic and foreign scholars have analyzed and tested the estimation of road slope by the least square method or Kalman filter algorithm. Although the two methods both can achieve the estimation, the real-time performance and accuracy still need to be improved.
In this paper, for traditional fuel commercial vehicle, the Kalman filter algorithm based on the kinematics and the extended Kalman filter algorithm based on the longitudinal dynamics are respectively used to estimate the road slope. In the process of estimation based on kinematics, considering the influence of road slope rate to estimate, the recursive least squares method with forgetting factor is used to estimate the road slope rate.Finally, the estimation results obtained by kinematics and dynamics are combined. It is expected that the error based on the algorithm-estimated slope value and the true slope value will be within 6% after the commercial vehicle is driving. The proposed algorithm has high accuracy, good real-time performance and strong stability.
Using the commercial vehicle as a motion node and estimating the slope of a certain road, the intelligent planning of other vehicles’ speed in that region can be realized through the cloud platform. Then the fuel economy of the commercial vehicle can be improved.
CitationZhou, M., Tan, G., Sun, M., Tian, Z. et al., "Real-time and Accurate Estimation of Road Slope for Intelligent Speed Planning System of Commercial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0115, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0115.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Huang , Q. Study on Real-time Estimation of Road Grade Using OpenXC Data Chongqing University 2017
- Vahidi , A. , Stefanopoulou , A. , and Peng , H. Recursive Least Squares with Forgetting for Online Estimation of Vehicle Mass and Road Grade:Theory and Experiments Vehicle System Dynamics 43 1 31 55 2005
- Li , Y. Research on Quality Identification of Heavy Vehicles and Estimation Method of Road Slope Status Jilin University 2012
- Cheng , M. , Wang , Z. , and Tao , G. Vehicle Parameter and Road Grade Estimation Based on Kalman Filter: Theory and Experiments Applied Mechanics & Materials 157 158 2012
- Sun , W. , Xiang , F. , Tang , K. , and Huang , B. Joint Estimation of Longitudinal Speed and Road Slope for Four Wheel Independent Drive Vehicle Journal of Wuhan University of Technology 6 2017
- Yongbing , X. Research on Downhill Speed Planning of Commercial Vehicles Based on Vehicle Quality Identification Wuhan University of Technology 2019
- Yingjun , Y. Positioning and Clustering Algorithm Research of Intelligent Connected Vehicle Based on Cyber-Physical System and Fuzzy Theory Hunan University 2017
- Zhang , Y. , Liu , H. , and Li , B. Research on Intelligent Networking Vehicle Technology and Standard Development Shanghai’s Vehicle 8 55 59 2015
- Luo , P. Vehicle Mass and Road Slope Recognition for Heavy Vehicle with Hydraulic Transmission Beijing University of Technology 2015
- Hao , S. , Luo , P. , and Xi , J. Estimation of Vehicle Mass and Road Slope Based on Steady-State Kalman Filter Automotive Engineering 40 09 70 75 2018
- Du , Y. Research on the Estimation of Mass for Truck and Road Slope Changan University 2017
- Lin , N. , Shi , S. , Ma , L. , and Kui , H. Road Grade Estimation with Grade Change Rate Information Journal of Jilin University (Engineering Science) 46 06 1845 1850
- Xiao , D. System Identification Theory and Application Beijing Tsinghua University Press 2005
- Dai , Z. and Guangqiang , W. Estimation Method of Road Slope and Vehicle Mass Based on Vehicle Dynamics Automotive Engineering 1 20 24 2018
- Pang , Z. and Cui , H. System Identification and Adaptive Control MATLAB Simulation Beiing Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press 2008
- Zhisheng , Y. Automobile Theory Beijing Mechanical Industry Press 2009
- Sun , Y. , Li , L. , Yan , B. et al. A Hybrid Algorithm Combining EKF and RLS in Synchronous Estimation of Road Grade and Vehicle’ Mass for a Hybrid Electric Bus Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 68 416 430 2016
- Piyabongkarn , D. , Rajamani , R. , Grogg , J.A. et al. Development and Experimental Evaluation of a Slip Angle Estimator for Vehicle Stability Control IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 17 1 78 88 2009