This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Runtime Active Safety Risk-Assessment of Highly Autonomous Vehicles for Safe Nominal Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fatal crashes involving automated driving systems, has been raising the concern of minimum standard requirement for safety, reliability and performance required for Autonomous Driving System (ADS)/Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) before this cutting-edge technology takes on public roads. Hence, in order to ensure necessary safety requirements of ADS/ADAS systems we propose a runtime active safety assurance module known as SConSert. SConSert performs dynamic risk assessment of “Sensing, Planning and Action module of ADS/ADAS”; to provide minimal risk maneuver in any given driving scenario. The dynamic risk assessment of ADS/ADAS system is based on the operational design domain (ODD) knowledge of the driving scenario plus the sensor capability, ADS/ADAS algorithm requirement and capability, and finally smooth and collision free maneuver requirement. So, the main concept behind SConSert is runtime derivation of situational and conditional set of contracts for a given driving scenario and ADS/ADAS system ODD; fulfillment or violation of which can help in runtime dynamic risk assessment of ADS/ADAS to plan minimal safe behavior such that necessary safety requirements can be achieved. Finally, through experiment we show that proposed runtime active assurance safety module can handle complex driving scenario, and present simulation and experimental results that emphasizes the importance of the proposed runtime safety assurance module and shows that the proposed system is capable of performing runtime dynamic risk assessment in order to keep the automated driving systems always within the safe sate that is the automated driving system always perform within its ODD.
CitationRathour, S., Ishigooka, T., Otsuka, S., and MARTIN, R., "Runtime Active Safety Risk-Assessment of Highly Autonomous Vehicles for Safe Nominal Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0107, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0107.
- Waymo Safety Report https://storage.googleapis.com/sdc-prod/v1/safety-report/waymo-safety-report-2017-10.pdf 2017
- Intel Mobileye Company https://www.mobileye.com/responsibility-sensitive-safety/rss_on_nhtsa.pdf
- Orzechowski , P.F. , Meyer , A. , and Lauer , M. Tackling Occlusions & Limited Sensor Range with Set-Based Safety Verification IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) 2018
- Sales , D.O. , Correa , D.O. , Fernandes , L.C. , Wolf , D.F. et al. Adaptative Finite State Machine Based Visual Autonomous Navigation System Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence 29 29 152 162 10.1016/j.engappai.2013.12.006
- Olsson , M. http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:907048/FULLTEXT01.pdf 2016
- Brechtel , S. , Gindele , T. , and Dillmann , R. Probabilistic Decision-Making under Uncertainty for Autonomous Driving Using Continuous POMDP IEEE 17th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) Qingdao, China 2014 10.1109/ITSC.2014.6957722
- Thilen , E. http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1131360/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Xiao , Y. , Codevilla , F. , Gurran , A. , Urfalioglu et al. Multimodal End to End Autonomous Driving 2019
- Bansal , M. , Krizhevsky , A. , and Ogale , A. 2018
- Galceran , E. , Cunningham , A.G. , Eustice , R.M. , and Olson , E. Multipolicy Decision-Making for Autonomous Driving via Changepoint-Based Behavior Prediction: Theory and Experiment Auton Robot 41 1367 2017 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10514-017-9619-z
- Pek , C. , Koschi , M. , and Althoff , M. An Online Verification Framework for Motion Planning for Self-Driving Vehicles with Safety Guarantees 2019 AAET - Automatisiertes und Vernetztes Fahren Braunschweig
- Nolte , M. , Ernst , S. , Richelmann , J. , and Maurer , M. 2018 https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.08871
- Macek , K. , Vasquez Govea , D.A. , Fraichard , T. , and Siegwart Towards Safe Vehicle Navigation in Dynamic Urban Scenarios Automatika Journal for Control, Measurement, Electronics, Computing and Communications 2009
- Sadou , M. , Polotski , V. , and Cohen , P. Occlusions in Obstacle Detection for Safe Navigation 2004 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2004 10.1109/IVS.2004.1336472
- Chung , W. , Kim , S. , Choi , M. , Choi , J. , Kim , H. , Moon , C. , and Song , J. Safe Navigation of a Mobile Robot Considering Visibility of Environment IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 56 10 2009 10.1109/TIE.2009.2025293
- Bouraine , S. , Fraichard , T. , Azouaoui , O. , and Salhi , H. Passively Safe Partial Motion Planning for Mobile Robots with Limited Field-of-Views in Unknown Dynamic Environments 2014 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 10.1109/ICRA.2014.6907375
- Madhava Krishna , K. , Alami , R. , and Simeon , T.
- Shalev , S. , Shammah , S. , and Shashua , A. 2018
- Schratter , M. , Bouton , M. , Kochenderfer , M.J. , and Watzenig , D. 2019
- AASHTO 2004
- Reynolds , C.W. 1999
- Autoware GitLab https://gitlab.com/AutowareAuto/AutowareAuto