This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LiDAR-Based Predictive Cruise Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) enable safer driving by relying on the inputs from various sensors including Radar, Camera, and LiDAR. One of the newly emerging ADAS features is Predictive Cruise Control (PCC). PCC aims to optimize the vehicle’s speed profile and fuel efficiency. This paper presents a novel approach of using the point cloud of a LiDAR sensor to develop a PCC feature. The raw point cloud is utilized to detect objects in the surrounding environment of the vehicle, estimate the grade of the road, and plan the route in drivable areas. This information is critical for the PCC to define the optimal speed profile of the vehicle while following the planned path. This paper also discusses the developed algorithms of the LiDAR data processing and PCC controller. These algorithms were tested on FEV’s Smart Vehicle Demonstrator platform. Test results show that the proposed PCC was implemented successfully, allowing the vehicle to adapt its speed based on the processed data of the LiDAR sensor.
CitationAlzu'bi, H., Jarbo, A., Alrousan, Q., and Tasky, T., "LiDAR-Based Predictive Cruise Control," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0080, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0080.
- ASIRT https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts/ Nov. 2019
- Kukkala , Kumar , V. et al. Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems: A Path Toward Autonomous Vehicles IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine 7 5 18 25 Sept. 2018 10.1109/MCE.2018.2828440
- Paul , A. et al. February, 2016 10.4271/2016-28-0223
- Brookhuis , K.A. , Dick , D.W. , and Janssen Wiel , H. Behavioral Impacts of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems-an Overview European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research 1 3 Mar. 2019
- Chu , H. et al. Predictive Cruise Control Using High-Definition Map and Real Vehicle Implementation IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 67 12 11377 11389 Dec. 2018 10.1109/TVT.2018.2871202
- Jacobsen , T. , Elling , S. et al. Predictive Cruise Control Behind a Stationary or Slow Moving Object 2019 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2019 2099 105 10.1109/IVS.2019.8814014
- Chen , H. et al. Real-Time Predictive Cruise Control for Eco-Driving Taking into Account Traffic Constraints IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 20 8 2858 2868 Aug. 2019 10.1109/TITS.2018.2868518
- Kavurucu , Y. and Ensari , T. Predictive Cruise Control 2017 Electric Electronics, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineerings’ Meeting (EBBT) IEEE 2017 1 4 10.1109/EBBT.2017.7956763
- Kenworth https://www.kenworth.com/news/news-releases/2018/june/predictive-cruise-control/ Nov. 2019
- Pcl http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/normal_estimation.php Oct. 2019