This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tools for the Conceptual Design of a Stratospheric Hybrid Platform
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
CIRA is currently designing a HAPS for Earth Observation and Telecommunications named High Altitude Hybrid Airship. The configurations considered, can generate both aerodynamic and aerostatic forces to balance the weight during the different phases of a mission. The design of a hybrid configuration for stratospheric platforms represents a novelty in itself in the aerospace sector while some hybrid platforms have been proposed only for tropospheric applications. In order to carry out the conceptual design, some design tools have been implemented to rapidly obtain a conceptual layout, which can be used to perform CFD, FEM and stability analysis and, at the same time, to compute the relative platform mass breakdown. The proposed conceptual design process is based on two steps. A first coarse exploration algorithm which, starting from some input parameters, determines the best buoyancy ratio and some overall platform parameters (among others: weight, volume and dimensions) using some semi-empirical formulas to define sub-systems masses, aerodynamic coefficients and structures sizing. The second step consists in a finer optimization around the geometry obtained at the previous step, based on a better definition of the layout, which provides, as final output, a 3-D CAD layout of the stratospheric platform and its main structural elements. Layout modification during the design conceptual process represents an innovative aspect, which allows improvements, since the beginning of the design, the results. This layout, finally, represents the input for CFD, flight stability and FEM analysis. In this paper, this innovative conceptual design process defined to obtain some conceptual configurations of a hybrid HAPS, and the implemented design tools will be described. Furthermore, some HAPS layouts and preliminary CFD analysis will be presented.
CitationBaraniello, V., Persechino, G., and Borsa, R., "Tools for the Conceptual Design of a Stratospheric Hybrid Platform," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0025, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0025.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- d’Oliveira, F.A., de Melo, F.C.L., and Campos, D.T. , “High-Altitude Platforms - Present Situation and Technology Trends,” J. Aerosp. Technol. Manag., São José dos Campos 8(3):249-262, doi:10.5028/jatm.v8i3.699.
- Gonzalo, J., Lopez, D., Dominguez, D., Garcia, A. et al. , “On the Capabilities and Limitations of High Altitude Pseudo Satellites,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 98:37-56, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2018.03.006.
- Baraniello, V.R., Persechino, G., Mercogliano, P., Zollo, A.L. et al. , “Deployment of HAPS in an Emergency Scenario: Best Configurations and Procedures,” Poster at in HAPS4ESA 2019, Feb. 2019.
- Christophe, F., Coatanea, E., and Bernard, A. , “Conceptual Design,” The International Academy for Production Engineering , Laperrière, L., and Reinhart, G. (eds), CIRP Encyclopedia of Production Engineering (Berlin, Springer, 2014), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-20617-7.
- Noth, A. , “Design of Solar Powered Airplanes for Continuous Flight,” Dissertation ETH No. 18010, 2008, https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-005745622.
- Asrar, W., Ali Omar, A., Sulaeman, E., Ali, M., and Syed , “Hybrid Buoyant Aircraft: Future STOL Aircraft for Interconnectivity of the Malaysian Islands,” Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering 6(2):5, 2017.
- Verma, A.R., Sagar, K.K., and Priyadarshi, P. , “Optimum Buoyant and Aerodynamic Lift for a Lifting-Body Hybrid Airship,” Journal of Aircraft 51(5):1345-1350, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C032038.
- Agte, J., Gan, T., Kunzi, F., March, A., et al. , “Conceptual Design of a Hybrid Lift Airship for Intra-Regional Flexible Access Transport,” in 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2010, 1391, doi:10.2514/6.2010-1391.
- Haque, A.U., Asrar, W., Omar, A.A., Sulaeman, E. et al. , “Aerostatic and Aerodynamic Modules of a Hybrid Buoyant Aircraft: An Analytical Approach,” IIUM Engineering Journal 16(1), 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.31436/iiumej.v16i1.532.
- Buerge, B. , “The Suitability of Hybrid vs. Conventional Airships for Persistent Surveillance Missions,” in 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2010, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2010-1014.
- Haque, A.U., Asrar, W., Omar, A.A., Sulaeman, E. et al. , “Open Jet Testing for Buoyant and Hybrid Buoyant Aerial Vehicles,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering 10(1):89-95.
- Haque, A.U., Asrar, W., Omar, A.A., Sulaeman, E. et al. , “Effect of Wing Loading on Gross Takeoff Mass of a Hybrid Buoyant Aircraft,” International Journal of Unmanned Systems Engineering 4(1):-11, http://doi.org/10.14323/ijuseng.2016.2.
- Chen, G., Chen, B., Li, P., Bai, P. et al. , “Study of Aerodynamic Configuration Design and Wind Tunnel Test for Solar Powered Buoyancy-Lifting Vehicle in the Near-Space,” Procedia Engineering 99:67-72, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.509.
- Manikandan, M. and Pant, R.S. , “Design Optimization of a Tri-Lobed Solar Powered Stratospheric Airship,” Aerospace Science and Technology 91:255-262, 2019.
- Baraniello, V.R. and Persechino, G. , “Conceptual Design of a Stratospheric Hybrid Platform for Earth Observation and Telecommunications,” in 6th CEAS Conference, Oct. 2017.
- Grant, E.C. and Leland, M.N. , Fundamentals of Aircraft and Airship Design, Volume 2 - Airship Design and Case Studies, AIAA Education Series, ISBN:978-1-60086-898-6.