This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
THE EFFECT OF BIODIESEL ON THE ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF AUTOMOTIVE ELASTOMERIC COMPOUNDS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The lack of electrical conductivity on materials, which are used in automotive fuel systems, can lead to electrostatic charges buildup in the components of such systems. This accumulation of energy can reach levels that exceed their capacity to withstand voltage surges, which considerably increases the risk of electrical discharges or sparks. Another important factor to consider is the conductivity of the commercially available fuels, such as biodiesel, which contributes to dissipate these charges to a proper grounding point in automobiles. From 2013, the diesel regulation in Brazil have changed and the levels of sulfur in the composition of diesel were reduced considerably, changing its natural characteristic of promoting electrostatic discharges, becoming more insulating. Taking into account the critical factors mentioned above, the SAE J1645 standard specifies the levels of conductivity and maximum electrostatic energy accumulation (ESD) that automotive materials must meet to avoid unintentional discharges on these systems and guarantee the integrity of the involved components and the safety of occupants. Thus, this work aims to analyze the effect of (bio)diesel on the electrical properties of a new elastomeric composition (PVC/NBR+) for fuel filler hoses. The findings present evidence that this new formulation has high performance in the dissipation of electrostatic charges and can meet the conductivity levels requested by SAE J1645, even in aging test with aggressive biodiosel.
CitationÂngelo Aguiar, R., Almeida, O., Gonçalves, C., Herbert, C. et al., "THE EFFECT OF BIODIESEL ON THE ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF AUTOMOTIVE ELASTOMERIC COMPOUNDS," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0327, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- GROOP, E. E. et al. Comparison of surface resistivity and triboelectric charge generation characteristics of materials. In: Proceedings of the 40th Space Congress. 2003.
- RAVELO, B. et al. Demonstration of the triboelectricity effect by the flow of liquid water in the insulating pipe. Journal of Electrostatics, v. 69, n. 6, p. 473-478, 2011.
- ANP, 2001. “Resolução ANP N° 310, 27.12.2001 – DOU 16.9.2001
- ANP, 2009. “Resolução ANP N° 31”, 14.10.2009 – DOU 15.10.2009”.
- ANP, 2013. “Resolução ANP N° 50”, 23.12.2013 – DOU 24.12.2013.
- Stumborg, Mark, Al Wong, and Ed Hogan. "Hydroprocessed vegetable oils for diesel fuel improvement." Bioresource Technology 56, no. 1 (1996): 13-18.
- Manual Técnico do Produto – PETROBRAS – Gerência de Soluções Comerciais - Marketing – Abastecimento, Gerência de Combustíveis – P&D de Abastecimento - Cenpes, 2014.
- American Petroleum Institute. Committee on Static Electricity and Stray Currents. Protection against ignitions arising out of static, lightning, and stray currents. Department of Technical Services, American Petroleum Institute, 2003.
- European Committee for Standardization. "EN-590: Automotive Fuels-Diesel-Requirements and test methods." (2009)
- ANP, 2009. “Resolução ANP N° 65”, 9.12.2011 – DOU 12.12.2011,
- ASTM Standard, D4865, "Standard Guide for Generation and Dissipation of Static Electricity in Petroleum Fuel Systems,", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2014
- ANP, 2011. “Resolução ANP N° 65”, 9.12.2011 – DOU 12.12.2011”
- SOUZA, V. H. A. de; SANTOS, L. T. dos; CAMPOS, A. F.; CAROLINO, J. Um panorama do biodiesel no brasil e no mundo: esforços para a ampliação do setor e desafios. Revista Augustus, v. 21, n. 41, p. 117–130, 2016
- BRASIL. Presidência da República, “Resolução N° 16”, 29 de outubro de 2019. Diário Oficial da União, 2018.
- JOSEPH, K. Gain report. Argentina. Biofuels annual. USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, 2010
- BRASIL. Ministério de minas e energia. Boletim Mensal dos Combustíveis Renováveis, v. 110, 2017
- Herbert, Cristiano Grings, Luiz Rogério De Andrade Lima, and Cristiane Gonçalves. Alternative to Phthalate Plasticizer for PVC/NBR Formulation Used in Automotive Fuel System with Biodiesel. No. 2017-01-0482. SAE Technical Paper, 2017.
- Dinis, Aline Cotta “Contribuição da mistura diesel:biodiesel (B30) no comportamento das propriedades físico-químicas de materiais elastoméricos utilizados em componentes do sistema de combustível da indústria automotiva”, São Paulo, 2017. 158p.
- Herbert, Cristiano Grings. “Efeito de Biodiesel nas Propriedades Mecânicas das Blendas de PVC/NBR Utilizadas na Industria Automotiva”, Salvador: UFBA, 2017.
- Linhares, F. N., M. Kersch, V. Altstaedt, and C. R. G. Furtado. "Influência da absorção de biodiesel nas propriedades da Borracha Nitrílica." Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings 1, no. 2 (2015): 13502-13509.
- Herbert, Cristiano; Goncalves, Cristiane; Polkowski, Rodrigo; Aguiar, Angelo. "Biodiesel Resistant PVC/NBR Rubber Composition." U.S. Patent 10,160,313, issued Dec.25, 2018
- ASTM, D3182, 2016-"Standard Practice for Rubber-Materials, Equipment, and Procedures for Mixing Standard Compounds and Preparing Standard Vulcanized Sheets," ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2016, doi:10.1520/D3182-16.
- ASTM Standard, D664, 2011a, "Standard Test Method for Acid Number of Petroleum Products by Potentiometric Titration," ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2011, doi:10.1520/D0664-11A.
- ASTM Standard, D412-2015a,"Standard test methods for vulcanized rubber and thermoplastic rubbers and thermoplastic elastomers-Tension" ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2015, doi:10.1520/D0412-15A.
- ASTM Standard, D471-2016a, " Standard Test Method for Rubber Property—Durometer Hardness," ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2015, doi:10.1520/D2240-15.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Fuel Systems and Components - Electrostatic Charge Mitigation,” SAE Standard J1645, Rev. Oct. 2011