This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence Of The Portevin-Le Chatelier Phenomenon On The Ultimate Tensile Strengh Limit Of Alloys Al-0.18%Zr-2%Mg And Al-0.18%Zr-6%Mg
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The effect of Portevin-Le Châtelier (PLC) effect and its influence on the mechanical properties of aluminum, have aroused interest in the scientific community, aiming possible applications in the industry. The respective effect has been commonly observed in the solid solution state in Al-Mg alloys. Therefore, the objective of this work is to analyze the effect of the PLC phenomenon on the mechanical properties of the material with additions of 2% and 6% of Mg in the base alloy of Al-0.18%. For this purpose, the alloys were cast in a muffle furnace and cast in copper mold (section of the properzi wheel), followed by cooling in water. Samples were cut and machined to 9.5 mm in diameter. Subsequently, they underwent sanding and polishing processes in order to obtain their macrostructures. The results obtained in this step show that Mg refined the grain structures. The tensile test was performed for mechanical characterization. The results showed that increasing Mg contents resulted in grain refining, tensile strength limit and elongation losses. In order to analyze the effect of PLC in the stress strain curves, a practical method was developed, which consists in amplifying the points of the curves, measuring the amplitude of the oscillations by zone and individual, from which it was concluded that the oscillations were more evident in the alloy with addition of 2% Mg.
- Natália Luiza Abucater Brum - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- Aélcio de Jesus Monteiro dos Santos - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- Brenda Thayssa Figueira Daniel - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- Clóvis Iarlande Oliveira Santana - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- Laís Mota de Brito da Fonseca - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- José Maria do Vale Quaresma - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
- Vinicius Silva dos Reis - Federal University of Pará, Augusto Corrêa Street, nº 01, Gu
CitationBrum, N., Jesus Monteiro dos Santos, A., Daniel, B., Santana, C. et al., "Influence Of The Portevin-Le Chatelier Phenomenon On The Ultimate Tensile Strengh Limit Of Alloys Al-0.18%Zr-2%Mg And Al-0.18%Zr-6%Mg," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0301, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0301.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- NATIONAL DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL PRODUCTION. Main Metallic Substances. 2016. http://www.dnpm.gov.br/ (access on March 10, 2018).
- Totten, G. E., & S. Macknzie. Handbook of Aluminun: Physical Metallurgy and Processes. 1ª. Vol. I. New York: CRC Press, 2003.
- Ferrari, B.R. "Characterization of metallic alloys based on Aluminum - Magnesium obtained by conventional method after thermomechanical treatments aiming at crystalline structures". Master 's Dissertation (Master' s Degree in Mechanical Engineering) - Escola Politécnica, São Paulo, 2008.
- Kaufman, J. G., and E.L. Rooy. “The Influence and Control of Porosity and Inclusions in Aluminum Castings.” In Alumininum alloy casting: properties, processes and applications, Materials Park, por ASM INTERNATIONAL, 47-54. 2004.
- Cottrell, A. H. “LXXXVI. A note on the Portevin-Le Chatelier effect.” The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science 44, n° 355 (1953): 829-832.
- ASM INTERNATIONAL. Aluminum and aluminum alloys. 2. Vol. 4. American Society for Metals - ASM Handbook, 1998.
- Turba, K., P. Málek, and M. Cieslar. “Superpalsticity in an Al-Mg-Zr-Sc alloy produced by equal-channel angular pressing.” Materials Science and Engineering: A 462, n° 1-2 (2007): 91-94.
- Tsuji, Nobuhiro, Katsuhiko Shiotsuki, and Yoshihiro Saito. “Superplasticity of ultra-fine grained Al-Mg alloy produced by accumulative roll-bonding.” Materials Transactions, JIM 40, n° 8 (1999): 765-771.
- Maeng, D. Y. et al. “Microstructure and mechanical properties of rapidly solidified Al-7wt.% Mg-X(X= Cr, Zr or Mn) alloys.” Materials Science and Engineering: A 311, n° 1-2 (2001): 128-134.
- Lee, S, et al. “Influence of scandium and zirconium on grain stability and superplastic ductilies in ultrafine-grained Al-Mg alloys.” Acta Materialia 50, n° 3 (2002): 553-564.
- Cama, H, J. Worth, and P. V. Evans. “Intermetallic Phase Selection and Transformation in Aluminium 3XXX Alloys.” Procceding of the 4 Decennial International Conference on Solidification Processing . Sheffield, July 1997. 555-558.
- Ma, P. C., D. Zhang, L. Z. Zhuang, e J. S Zhang. “Effect of alloying elements and processing parameters on the Portevin-Le Chatelier effect of Al-Mg alloys.” International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials. 22, n° 2 (2015): 175-183.
- Kang, J., R. K. Mishra, D. S. Wilkinson, and O. S. Hopperstad. “Effect of Mg content on Portevin–Le Chatelier band strain in Al–Mg sheet alloys.” Philosophical Magazine Letters 92, n° 11 (2012): 647-655.
- Charnock, W. "The influence of grain size on the nature of Portevin-LeChatelier yielding." The Philosophical Magazine: A Journal of Theoretical Experimental and Applied Physics 18, no. 151 (1968): 89-99.