This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pulsating Heat Pipe Automotive Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
It is proposed a study to evaluate PHP (pulsating heat pipes) device application in battery thermal management systems for HEV (hybrid-electric vehicle) and EV (electric vehicle). Firstly, it is necessary to understanding Li-ion (lithium ion) batteries for HEV/EV, the electrical energy supply state-of-the-art. The analyzed aspects were battery framework and configuration; working principles and mechanisms; and market penetration and potential. Secondly, the adverse effects of temperature over such batteries were discussed. After understanding the case study, a battery modeling survey was performed in order to later evaluate BTMSs (battery thermal management systems). Well comprehended case study and battery modeling, then, it was possible to examine current automotive battery cooling and heating solutions. Finally, PHP was evaluated as a possible BTMS regarding technical and commercial aspects, explaining what would be the requisites in order to attend automobile heat dissipation demands and the challenges for embedding it.
- Rafael Beicker Barbosa de Oliveira - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
- Sergio Gradella Villalva - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
- Luiz Paulo Rodrigues Filho - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
- Fernando Luiz Windlin - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
- Guilherme Henrique Mayer Alegre - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
- Rogério Gonçalves do Santos - Magneti Marelli Sistemas Automotivos, Universidade Estadual
CitationBarbosa de Oliveira, R., Villalva, S., Filho, L., Windlin, F. et al., "Pulsating Heat Pipe Automotive Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0227, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0227.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Boure, J. A., A. E. Bergles, and L. S. Tong. "Review of two-phase flow instability." Nuclear Engineering and Design 25, no. 2 (1973): 165-192.
- Akachi, Hisateru . "Pulsating heat pipes." In Proceedings 5th International Heat Pipe Symp., 1996. 1996.
- Zhang, Yuwen, and Amir Faghri. "Heat transfer in a pulsating heat pipe with open end." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 45, no. 4 (2002): 755-764.
- Lin, Yu-Hsing, Shung-Wen Kang, and Hui-Lun Chen. "Effect of silver nano-fluid on pulsating heat pipe thermal performance." Applied Thermal Engineering 28, no. 11-12 (2008): 1312-1317.
- Ma, H. , 2015. Oscillating heat pipes (pp. 2-11). New York: Springer.
- Delil, A. A. M. "Pulsating & oscillating heat transfer devices in acceleration environments from microgravity to supergravity." (2001).
- Charoensawan, Piyanun, Sameer Khandekar, Manfred Groll, and Pradit Terdtoon. "Closed loop pulsating heat pipes: Part A: parametric experimental investigations." Applied thermal engineering 23, no. 16 (2003): 2009-2020.
- Khandekar, Sameer, Piyanun Charoensawan, Manfred Groll, and Pradit Terdtoon. "Closed loop pulsating heat pipes Part B: visualization and semi-empirical modeling." Applied Thermal Engineering 23, no. 16 (2003): 2021-2033.
- Rittidech, S., P. Terdtoon, M. Murakami, P. Kamonpet, and W. Jompakdee. "Correlation to predict heat transfer characteristics of a closed-end oscillating heat pipe at normal operating condition." Applied Thermal Engineering 23, no. 4 (2003): 497-510.
- Tong, B. Y., T. N. Wong, and K. T. Ooi. "Closed-loop pulsating heat pipe." Applied thermal engineering 21, no. 18 (2001): 1845-1862.
- Groll, M., and S. Khandekar. "Pulsating heat pipes: progress and prospects." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Energy and the Environment, China. 2003.
- Khandekar, S., M. Schneider, P. Schafer, R. Kulenovic, and M. Groll. "Thermofluid dynamic study of flat-plate closed-loop pulsating heat pipes." Microscale thermophysical engineering 6, no. 4 (2002): 303-317.
- Riehl, Roger R. "Evaluation of the thermal-hydro-dynamics behavior of an open loop pulsating heat pipe." National Institute for Space Research (INPE) Report 35 (2003).
- Riehl, R.R. and dos Santos, N., 2012. Water-copper nanofluid application in an open loop pulsating heat pipe. Applied Thermal Engineering, 42, pp.6-10.
- Gabano, J.P. , 1983. Lithium batteries. London and New York, Academic Press, 1983, 467 p.
- Xia, H., Luo, Z. and Xie, J., 2012. Nanostructured LiMn2O4 and their composites as high-performance cathodes for lithium-ion batteries. Progress in Natural Science: Materials International, 22(6), pp.572-584.
- Abraham, K.M., Pasquariello, D.M. and Schwartz, D.A., 1989. Practical rechargeable lithium batteries. Journal of Power Sources, 26(1-2), pp.247-255.
- Brandt, K. and Laman, F.C., 1989. Reproducibility and reliability of rechargeable lithium/molybdenum disulfide batteries. Journal of Power Sources, 25(4), pp.265-276.
- Dan, P., Mengeritski, E., Geronov, Y., Aurbach, D. and Weisman, I., 1995. Performances and safety behaviour of rechargeable AA-size Li/LixMnO2 cell. Journal of power sources, 54(1), pp.143-145.
- Aurbach, D., Zinigrad, E., Teller, H. and Dan, P., 2000. Factors which limit the cycle life of rechargeable lithium (metal) batteries. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 147(4), pp.1274-1279
- Nazri, G.A. and Pistoia, G. eds., 2008. Lithium batteries: science and technology. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Scrosati, B. , 1994. Electrochemistry of Novel Materials. by J. Lipkowski and PN Ross, VCH Publishers, New York.
- Li, M.Y., Liu, C.L., Shi, M.R. and Dong, W.S., 2011. Nanostructure Sn-Co-C composite lithium ion battery electrode with unique stability and high electrochemical performance. Electrochimica Acta, 56(8), pp.3023-3028.
- Zhang, S.S. , 2007. A review on the separators of liquid electrolyte Li-ion batteries. Journal of power sources, 164(1), pp.351-364.
- Sivaprakash, S. and Majumder, S.B., 2010. Spectroscopic analyses of 0.5 Li [Ni0. 8Co0. 15Zr0. 05] O2-0.5 Li [Li1/3Mn2/3] O2 composite cathodes for lithium rechargeable batteries. Solid State Ionics, 181(15-16), pp.730-739.
- Diaw, M., A. Chagnes, B. Carre, P. Willmann, and D. Lemordant. "Mixed ionic liquid as electrolyte for lithium batteries." Journal of power sources 146, no. 1-2 (2005): 682-684.
- Han, Hong-Bo, Si-Si Zhou, Dai-Jun Zhang, Shao-Wei Feng, Li- Fei Li, Kai Liu, Wen-Fang Feng et al. "Lithium bis (fluorosulfonyl) imide (LiFSI) as conducting salt for nonaqueous liquid electrolytes for lithium-ion batteries: Physicochemical and electrochemical properties." Journal of Power Sources 196, no. 7 (2011): 3623-3632.
- Sato, Kazuya, Liwei Zhao, Shigeto Okada, and Jun-ichi Yamaki. "LiPF6/methyl difluoroacetate electrolyte with vinylene carbonate additive for Li-ion batteries." Journal of Power Sources 196, no. 13 (2011): 5617-5622.
- Larush, L., V. Borgel, E. Markevich, O. Haik, E. Zinigrad, D. Aurbach, G. Semrau, and M. Schmidt. "On the thermal behavior of model Li-LixCoO2 systems containing ionic liquids in standard electrolyte solutions." Journal of Power Sources 189, no. 1 (2009): 217-223.
- "Electric Vehicle Specifications, Electric Car News, EV Comparisons." EVSpecifications. Accessed May 22, 2019. https://www.evspecifications.com/.
- Shim, Joongpyo, Robert Kostecki, Thomas Richardson, Xiangyun Song, and Kathryn A. Striebel. "Electrochemical analysis for cycle performance and capacity fading of a lithium-ion battery cycled at elevated temperature." Journal of power sources 112, no. 1 (2002): 222-230.
- Nagpure, Shrikant C., Ralph Dinwiddie, S. S. Babu, Giorgio Rizzoni, Bharat Bhushan, and Tim Frech. "Thermal diffusivity study of aged Li-ion batteries using flash method." Journal of power sources 195, no. 3 (2010): 872-876.
- Belt, Jeffrey R., Chinh D. Ho, Chester G. Motloch, Ted J. Miller, and Tien Q. Duong. "A capacity and power fade study of Li-ion cells during life cycle testing." Journal of power Sources 123, no. 2 (2003): 241-246.
- DOE, US. "FreedomCAR battery test manual for power-assist hybrid electric vehicles." INEEL (DOE/ID-11069) (2003).
- Fan, Jiang . "On the discharge capability and its limiting factors of commercial 18650 Li-ion cell at low temperatures." Journal of Power Sources 117, no. 1-2 (2003): 170-178.
- Nagasubramanian, Ganesan . "Electrical characteristics of 18650 Li-ion cells at low temperatures." Journal of applied electrochemistry 31, no. 1 (2001): 99-104.
- Shah, Krishna, Divya Chalise, and Ankur Jain. "Experimental and theoretical analysis of a method to predict thermal runaway in Li-ion cells." Journal of power sources 330 (2016): 167-174.
- Feng, Xuning, Mou Fang, Xiangming He, Minggao Ouyang, Languang Lu, Hao Wang, and Mingxuan Zhang. "Thermal runaway features of large format prismatic lithium ion battery using extended volume accelerating rate calorimetry." Journal of power sources 255 (2014): 294-301.
- Wang, Hsin, Abhishek Kumar, Srdjan Simunovic, Srikanth Allu, Sergiy Kalnaus, John A. Turner, Jacob C. Helmers, Evan T. Rules, Clinton S. Winchester, and Philip Gorney. "Progressive mechanical indentation of large-format Li-ion cells." Journal of Power Sources 341 (2017): 156-164.
- Feng, Xuning, Minggao Ouyang, Xiang Liu, Languang Lu, Yong Xia, and Xiangming He. "Thermal runaway mechanism of lithium ion battery for electric vehicles: A review." Energy Storage Materials 10 (2018): 246-267.
- Yuan, QingFeng, Fenggang Zhao, Weidong Wang, Yanming Zhao, Zhiyong Liang, and Danlin Yan. "Overcharge failure investigation of lithium-ion batteries." Electrochimica Acta 178 (2015): 682-688.
- Chiu, Kuan-Cheng, Chi-Hao Lin, Sheng-Fa Yeh, Yu-Han Lin, Chih-Sheng Huang, and Kuo-Ching Chen. "Cycle life analysis of series connected lithium-ion batteries with temperature difference." Journal of Power Sources 263 (2014): 75-84.
- Gu, W. B., and Chao-Yang Wang. "Thermal and electrochemical coupled modeling of a lithium-ion cell." In Proceedings of the ECS, vol. 99, pp. 748-762. 2000.
- Chen, S. C., C. C. Wan, and Y. Y. Wang. "Thermal analysis of lithium-ion batteries." Journal of Power Sources 140, no. 1 (2005): 111-124.
- Guo, Guifang, Bo Long, Bo Cheng, Shiqiong Zhou, Peng Xu, and Binggang Cao. "Three-dimensional thermal finite element modeling of lithium-ion battery in thermal abuse application." Journal of Power Sources 195, no. 8 (2010): 2393-2398.
- Smith, Kandler A., Christopher D. Rahn, and Chao-Yang Wang. "Model order reduction of 1D diffusion systems via residue grouping." Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 130, no. 1 (2008): 011012.
- Tanim, Tanvir R., Christopher D. Rahn, and Chao-Yang Wang. "A temperature dependent, single particle, lithium ion cell model including electrolyte diffusion." Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 137, no. 1 (2015): 011005.
- Romero-Becerril, Aldo, and Luis Alvarez-Icaza. "Comparison of discretization methods applied to the single-particle model of lithium-ion batteries." Journal of Power Sources 196, no. 23 (2011): 10267-10279.
- Marcicki, James, Marcello Canova, A. Terrence Conlisk, and Giorgio Rizzoni. "Design and parametrization analysis of a reduced-order electrochemical model of graphite/LiFePO4 cells for SOC/SOH estimation." Journal of Power Sources 237 (2013): 310-324.
- Pesaran, Ahmad A. "Battery thermal models for hybrid vehicle simulations." Journal of power sources 110, no. 2 (2002): 377-382.
- Pesaran, Ahmad, Matt Keyser, Gi-Heon Kim, Shriram Santhanagopalan, and Kandler Smith. Tools for Designing Thermal Management of Batteries in Electric Drive Vehicles (Presentation). No. NREL/PR-5400-57747. National Renewable Energy Lab.(NREL), Golden, CO (United States), 2013.
- Ladrech, F. "Battery thermal management for HEV & EV-Technology overview." Automotive Summit (2010).
- Lin, H-P., D. Chua, M. Salomon, H. C. Shiao, M. Hendrickson, E. Plichta, and S. Slane. "Low-temperature behavior of Li-ion cells." Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 4, no. 6 (2001): A71-A73.
- Ji, Yan, and Chao Yang Wang. "Heating strategies for Li-ion batteries operated from subzero temperatures." Electrochimica Acta 107 (2013): 664-674.
- Chen, Yufei, and James W. Evans. "Heat transfer phenomena in lithium/polymer-electrolyte batteries for electric vehicle application." Journal of the Electrochemical Society 140, no. 7 (1993): 1833-1838.
- Kim, Gi-Heon, and Ahmad Pesaran. "Battery thermal management design modeling." World Electric Vehicle Journal 1, no. 1 (2007): 126-133.
- Bandhauer, Todd M., Srinivas Garimella, and Thomas F. Fuller. "A critical review of thermal issues in lithium-ion batteries." Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158, no. 3 (2011): R1-R25.
- Pesaran, Ahmad A. "Battery thermal management in EV and HEVs: issues and solutions." Battery Man 43, no. 5 (2001): 34-49.
- Pesaran, Ahmad, Andreas Vlahinos, and Thomas Stuart. "Cooling and preheating of batteries in hybrid electric vehicles." In 6th ASME-JSME Thermal Engineering Joint Conference, pp. 1-7. Citeseer, 2003.
- Shimada, Munekatsu . "A vehicle driven by electricity, designed for chill and snowy areas." Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 200 (2013): 168-171.
- (2019). Volvo C30 Electric equipped with three climate systems; bioethanol heater. Available: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/03/c30-20110328.html.
- Wang, Qian, Bin Jiang, Bo Li, and Yuying Yan. "A critical review of thermal management models and solutions of lithium-ion batteries for the development of pure electric vehicles." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 64 (2016): 106-128.
- Khateeb, Siddique A., Shabab Amiruddin, Mohammed Farid, J. Robert Selman, and Said Al-Hallaj. "Thermal management of Li-ion battery with phase change material for electric scooters: experimental validation." Journal of Power Sources 142, no. 1-2 (2005): 345-353.
- Rao, Zhonghao, Shuangfeng Wang, and Guoqing Zhang. "Simulation and experiment of thermal energy management with phase change material for ageing LiFePO4 power battery." Energy Conversion and Management 52, no. 12 (2011): 3408-3414.
- Kothare, P. C. B., P. K. S. Raizada, and B. K. Chavhan. "Thermal performance of closed loops pulsating heat pipe at various dimension and heat input." International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 2, no. 7 (2015): 739-744.
- Khandekar, Sameer, Manfred Groll, P. Charoensawan, S. Rittidech, and P. Terdtoon. "Closed and open loop pulsating heat pipes." In K-4, Proceedings of 13th International Heat Pipe Conference. China Academy of Space Technology Shanghai, China, 2004.
- Khandekar, Sameer, Manfred Groll, and Vivak Luckchoura. "An introduction to pulsating heat pipes." Electronics Cooling 9 (2003): 38-42.
- Khandekar, S., M. Schneider, and M. Groll. "Mathematical modeling of pulsating heat pipes: state of the art and future challenges." Heat and Mass Transfer, SK Saha, SP Venkateshen, BVSSS Prasad, and SS Sadhal, eds., Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, New Delhi, India (2002): 856-862.
- Groll, Manfred, and S. Khandekar. "Pulsating heat pipes: a challenge and still unsolved problem in heat pipe science." Archives of Thermodynamics 23, no. 4 (2002): 17-28.
- Tong, B. Y., T. N. Wong, and K. T. Ooi. "Closed-loop pulsating heat pipe." Applied thermal engineering 21, no. 18 (2001): 1845-1862.
- Miyazaki, Y., and M. Arikawa. "Oscillatory Flow in the Oscillating Heat Pipe, 11th IHPC." Preprint 2 (1999): 143-148.
- El-Genk, M. S., and H. H. Saber. "Heat transfer correlations for liquid film in the evaporator of enclosed, gravity-assisted thermosyphons." Journal of heat transfer 120, no. 2 (1998): 477-484.
- Chien, Kuo-Hsiang, Yur-Tsai Lin, Yi-Rong Chen, Kai-Shing Yang, and Chi-Chuan Wang. "A novel design of pulsating heat pipe with fewer turns applicable to all orientations." International journal of heat and mass transfer 55, no. 21-22 (2012): 5722-5728.
- Xu, J. L., Y. X. Li, and T. N. Wong. "High speed flow visualization of a closed loop pulsating heat pipe." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48, no. 16 (2005): 3338-3351.
- Qu, W., and H. B. Ma. "Theoretical analysis of startup of a pulsating heat pipe." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 50, no. 11-12 (2007): 2309-2316.
- Mameli, Mauro, Daniele Mangini, Giulio Filippo Tancredi Vanoli, Lucio Araneo, Sauro Filippeschi, and Marco Marengo. "Advanced multi-evaporator loop thermosyphon." Energy 112 (2016): 562-573.
- Khandekar, Sameer, Nicolas Dollinger, and Manfred Groll. "Understanding operational regimes of closed loop pulsating heat pipes: an experimental study." Applied Thermal Engineering 23, no. 6 (2003): 707-719.
- Ma, H. B., C. Wilson, B. Borgmeyer, K. Park, Q. Yu, S. U. S. Choi, and Murli Tirumala. "Effect of nanofluid on the heat transport capability in an oscillating heat pipe." Applied Physics Letters 88, no. 14 (2006): 143116.
- Zhang, Yuwen, and Amir Faghri. "Advances and unsolved issues in pulsating heat pipes." Heat Transfer Engineering 29, no. 1 (2008): 20-44.
- Zhang, X. M. "Experimental study of a pulsating heat pipe using FC-72, ethanol, and water as working fluids." Experimental Heat Transfer 17, no. 1 (2004): 47-67.
- Saha, P., M. Ishii, and N. Zuber. "An experimental investigation of the thermally induced flow oscillations in two-phase systems." Journal of Heat Transfer 98, no. 4 (1976): 616-622.
- Khandekar, Sameer, Manfred Groll, Piyanum Charoensawan, and Pradit Terdtoon. "Pulsating heat pipes: thermo-fluidic characteristics and comparative study with single phase thermosyphon." In International Heat Transfer Conference Digital Library. Begel House Inc., 2002.
- Qu, Wei, and T-Z. Ma. "Experimental investigation on flow and heat transfer of pulsating heat pipe." Journal of Engineering Thermophysics 23, no. 5 (2002): 596-598.
- Khandekar, Sameer, and Manfred Groll. "An insight into thermo-hydrodynamic coupling in closed loop pulsating heat pipes." International journal of thermal sciences 43, no. 1 (2004): 13-20.
- Ruspini, Leonardo Carlos, Christian Pablo Marcel, and Alejandro Clausse. "Two-phase flow instabilities: A review." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 71 (2014): 521-548.
- Barua, Himel, Mohammad Ali, Md Nuruzzaman, M. Quamrul Islam, and Chowdhury M. Feroz. "Effect of filling ratio on heat transfer characteristics and performance of a closed loop pulsating heat pipe." Procedia Engineering 56 (2013): 88-95.
- Mameli, Mauro, Marco Marengo, and Sameer Khandekar. "Local heat transfer measurement and thermo-fluid characterization of a pulsating heat pipe." International journal of thermal sciences 75 (2014): 140-152.
- Manno, V., Mauro Mameli, Sauro Filippeschi, and M. Marengo. "Thermal instability of a Closed Loop Pulsating Heat Pipe: Combined effect of orientation and filling ratio." (2014): 222-229.
- Riehl, Roger R. Characteristics of an open loop pulsating heat pipe. No. 2004-01-2509. SAE Technical Paper, 2004.
- White, E. T., and R. H. Beardmore. "The velocity of rise of single cylindrical air bubbles through liquids contained in vertical tubes." Chemical Engineering Science 17, no. 5 (1962): 351-361.
- Bretherton, Francis Patton . "The motion of long bubbles in tubes." Journal of Fluid Mechanics 10, no. 2 (1961): 166-188.
- Jiling, Li, and Zhu Zhen. "Battery Thermal Management Systems of Electric Vehicles." Chalmers University of Technology Master’s Thesis in Automotive Engineering 42 (2014).
- Arora, Shashank . "Selection of thermal management system for modular battery packs of electric vehicles: A review of existing and emerging technologies." Journal of Power Sources 400 (2018): 621-640.
- Cosley, Michael R., and Marvin P. Garcia. "Battery thermal management system." In INTELEC 2004. 26th Annual International Telecommunications Energy Conference, pp. 38-45. IEEE, 2004.
- Rao, Zhonghao, and Shuangfeng Wang. "A review of power battery thermal energy management." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15, no. 9 (2011): 4554-4571.
- Pesaran, A., Matthew Keyser, and Steve Burch. An approach for designing thermal management systems for electric and hybrid vehicle battery packs. No. NREL/CP-540-25992. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO (US), 1999.
- Rao, Zhonghao, Yutao Huo, and Xinjian Liu. "Experimental study of an OHP-cooled thermal management system for electric vehicle power battery." Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 57 (2014): 20-26.