This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation on Various Layouts of Phase Change Materials Based Battery Module Used in Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The future of automobile industry is moving towards the electrification of vehicles due to the increase in pollution and Global-Warming. In this contest a suitable Battery Thermal Management system (BTMS) needs to be incorporated for efficient operation of batteries. The battery performance is greatly affected by operating temperature, and the successful control of its temperature improves performance which ensures the safe operation and extends lifespan. In the recent years many researches are going on to adopt phase change materials for BTMS. Since the Phase Change material is of the passive cooling system, it does not require any additional power source for its operation. The Current study is an attempt towards the optimization of the battery using PCM by varying the shape and cell spacing for paraffin based PCM Material. In the present work Computational analysis is carried out to analyse the thermal performance of various shapes of battery module. Computational analysis is performed for various layout of batteries like rectangular, Polar and hexagonal layouts. Final test results show that battery module with 8* 3 rectangular layout shows better performance after running 6 hours had maximum temperature rise of 55.9 °C. Regarding other layouts maximum temperature rise of around 67.1°C,63.3°C and 57.6°C is obtained for polar, hexagonal and 6*4 rectangular layout respectively.
CitationSubramaniam, M., Muthiya, S., S, S., A, J. et al., "Numerical Investigation on Various Layouts of Phase Change Materials Based Battery Module Used in Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0499, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- International Energy Agency , https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/Publication/GlobalEVOutlook2017.pdf, accessed Feb. 27, 2018.
- Skerlos, S.J., and Winebrake, J.J. , “Targeting Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Policies to Increase Social Benefits,” Energy Pol. 38:705-708, 2010.
- Wada, M. , “Research and Development of Electric Vehicles for Clean Transportation,” J. Environ. Sci. 21:745-749, 2009.
- Li, Y., Yang, J., and Song, J. , “Design Principles and Energy System Scale Analysis Technologies of New Lithium-Ion and Aluminum-Ion Batteries for Sustainable Energy Electric Vehicles,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 71:645-651, 2017.
- Zhonghao Rao, A., Wanga, S., Wua, M., Zirong Lin, A. et al. , “Experimental Investigation on Thermal Management of Electric Vehicle Battery with Heat Pipe Energy Conversion and Management,” 65:92-97, 2013.
- Conte, F.V. , “Battery and Battery Management for Hybrid Electric Vehicles: A Review,” e & i Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik 123:424-431, 2006.
- Khateeb, S.A., Amiruddin, S., Farid, M., Selman, J.R. et al. , “Thermal Management of Li-Ion Battery with Phase Change Material for Electric Scooters: Experimental Validation,” J. Power Sources 142:345-353, 2005.
- Xu, X.M., and He, R. , “Research on the Heat Dissipation Performance of Battery Pack Based on Forced Air Cooling,” J. Power Sources 240:33-41, 2013.
- Hémery, C.V., Pra, F., Robin, J.F. et al. , “Experimental Performances of a Battery Thermal Management System Using a Phase Change Material,” J. Power Sources 270:349-358, 2014.
- Wu, M.S., Liub, K.H., Wang, Y.Y., and Wan, C.C. , “Heat Dissipation Design for Lithium Ion Batteries,” J. Power Sources 109(1):160-166, 2002.
- Sharpe, T., and Conell, R. , “Low-Temperature Charging Behavior of Lead-Acid Cells,” J. Appl. Electrochem. 17(4):789-799, 1987.
- Park, H. , “A Design of Air Flow Configuration for Cooling Lithium Ion Battery in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 239:30-36, 2013.
- Pesaran, A.A., Santhanagopalan, S., and Kim, G.H. , “Addressing the Impact of Temperature Extremes on Large Format Li-Ion Batteries for Vehicle Applications (Presentation).”
- Mohammadian, S.K., and Zhang, Y. , “Thermal Management Optimization of an Aircooled Li-Ion Battery Module Using Pin-Fin Heat Sinks for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 273:431-439, 2015.
- Zhao, J., Rao, Z., and Li, Y. , “Thermal Performance of Mini-Channel Liquid Cooled Cylinder Based Battery Thermal Management for Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Energy Convers. Manage. 103:157-165, 2015.
- Yan, J., Li, K., Chen, H., Wang, Q. et al. , “Experimental Study on the Application of Phase Change Material in the Dynamic Cycling of Battery Pack System,” Energy Convers. Manage. 128:9-12, 2016.
- Shahid, S., and Agelin-Chaab, M. , “Experimental and Numerical Studies on Air Cooling and Temperature Uniformity in a Battery Pack,” Int J Energy Res 42:2246-2262, 2018.
- Malik, M., Dincer, I., Rosen, M.A., Mathew, M. et al. , “Thermal and Electrical Performance Evaluations of Series Connected Li-Ion Batteries in a Pack with Liquid Cooling,” Appl Therm Eng 129:472-481, 2018.
- Huanga, Y.-H., Chenga, W.-L., and Zhao, R. , “Thermal Management of Li-Ion Battery Pack with the Application of Flexible Form-Stable Composite Phase Change Materials,” Energy Conversion and Management 182:9-20, 2019.
- Kizilel, R., Lateef, A., Sabbah, R., Farid, M.M. et al. , “Passive Control of Temperature Excursion and Uniformity in High-Energy Li-Ion Battery Packs at High Current and Ambient Temperature,” J Power Sources 183:370-375, 2008.
- Yan, J., Li, K., Chen, H., Wang, Q. et al. , “Experimental Study on the Application of Phase Change Material in the Dynamic Cycling of Battery Pack System,” Energy Conversion Manage 128:12-19, 2016.
- Al Hallaj, S., and Selman, J.R. , “A Novel Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicle Batteries Using Phase-Change Material,” J Electrochem Soc 147:3231-3236, 2000.
- Rao, Z., and Wang, S. , “A Review of Power Battery Thermal Energy Management,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 15:4554-4571, 2011.
- Wu, W., Wu, W., and Wang, S. , “Thermal Optimization of Composite PCM Based Largeformat Lithium-Ion Battery Modules under Extreme Operating Conditions,” Energy Convers Manage 153:22-33, 2017.
- Xiao, X., Zhang, P., and Li, M. , “Preparation and Thermal Characterization of Paraffin/Metal for Composite Phase Change Material,” Applied Energy 112:1357-1366, 2013.
- Greco, A., Jiang, X., and Cao, D. , “An Investigation of Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Management Using Paraffin/Porous-Graphite-Matrix Composite,” J. Power Sources 278:50-68, 2015.
- Greco, A., and Jiang, X. , “A Coupled Thermal and Electrochemical Study of Lithium-Ion Battery Cooled by Paraffin/Porous-Graphite-Matrix Composite,” J. Power Sources 315:127-139, 2016.
- Dinçer, I., Hamut, H.S., and Javani, N. , “Thermal Management of Electric Vehicle Battery Systems,” 2017.
- Madani, S.S., Swierczynski, M.J., and Kaer, S.K. , “The Discharge Behavior of Lithium-Ion Batteries Using the Dual-Potential Multi-Scale Multi-Dimensional (MSMD) Battery Model,” in 12th Int. Conf. Ecol. Veh. Renew. Energies, EVER 2017, 2017.
- Pan, M., and Lai, W. , “Cutting Copper Fiber/Paraffin Composite Phase Change Material Discharging Experimental Study Based on Heat Dissipation Capability of Li-Ion Battery,” Renew Energy 114:408-422, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.07.004.
- Weng, J., Yang, X., Zhang, G., Ouyang, D. et al. , “Optimization of the Detailed Factors in a Phase-Change-Material Module for Battery Thermal Management,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 138:126-134, 2019.