This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Implementation, Improvement and Statistical Validation of Scoring by Milling Process on an Instrument Panel with In-Mold Grain Lamination
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper starts describing the in-mold grain lamination and bilaminated film cover when applied to instrument panels with seamless passenger air bag doors. It then offers a comparison between two different PAB door weakening processes, the laser scoring and the scoring by milling. It further discuss the scoring by milling process and analyses its implementation on a real case instrument panel. In the implementation case, the scoring pattern is checked against a pre-defined engineering specification and correlated to the results of a drop tower test, which shows the force necessary to break the PAB door. Three iterations are performed until the results for scoring pattern and breaking force are achieved. The breaking force results are then statistically validated against the specification and capability analysis.
CitationBertolini, C., Koki, F., Veiga, R., and Quinelato, L., "Implementation, Improvement and Statistical Validation of Scoring by Milling Process on an Instrument Panel with In-Mold Grain Lamination," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0155, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0155.
- https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/road-traffic-injuries (Accessed on May 5th 2019).
- World Health Organization “GLOBAL STATUS REPORT ON ROAD SAFETY 2018”
- https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/air-bags (Accessed on May 5th 2019).
- Patent US 6,657,158 B1 – “METHOD OF PROCESSING A LASER SCORED INSTRUMENT PANEL WITH AN INVISIBLE SEAM AIRBAG OPENING”
- Patent US 7,976,057 B2 – “AUTOMOTIVE MILLED PSIR SCORING WITH INTERLACED INTERFACES”
- https://www.haartz.com/products/standard-tpo (Accessed on May 5th 2019).
- https://www.frimo.com/en/products/thermoforming/img.html (Accessed on May 5th 2019).
- https://www.jenoptik.com/products/lasers/laser-machines-material-processing/laser-scoring-system (Accessed on May 5th 2019).
- Spingler, G , “Numerical Modelling of Laser Scoring Line Behaviour for Seamless Passenger Airbag Door Opening”, SAE Technical Paper, 2009-01-0356
- Lee, Kangwook; Yeo, Taejung; Park, Soonjo, “Development of Tearing Pattern Prediction Model of Laser Scored Region on Invisible Passenger Side Airbag Door”, SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1018
- Cox, Kevin R., Robertson, Richard E., “Minimizing Read-Through When Creating a Mechanical Score in a Polymer Skin”, SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1220
- Cox, Kevin R., Robertson, Richard E., “Controlling Failure of Polymer Skin/Foam Bilaminate Sheets”, SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1216
- Myers E. Christopher; Shanmugam, Mohan; Burry, Donald L.; Stecher, Thomas; “A Case Study of a Hidden Airbag Door Deployment, with an SMA IP, Using FEA and Data Acquisition for Design Optimization” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0843
- Sugaya, Hisaki; Tosa, Yoshiyuki; Imura, Kazuo; Mae, Hiroyuki; “Development of Plastic Fracture Simulation Technology for Passenger Airbag Tear Line”, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1341
- Guo, Qing; Liu, Bing; “Simulation and Physical Measurement of Seamless Passenger Airbag Door Deployment”, SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0082
- Jenopitk VOTAN -A Data Sheet (https://www.jenoptik.com/)